Black Adam Discussion Thread -- Spoilers!

Ridiculously excited for this movie! It is great to know that the Rock actually listens to fans!

4 Likes

Yeah, just a smooch. :wink: :pinching_hand:t2:

Likewise.

To go from years and years ago when Dwayne Johnson initially expressed interest in the role, to year after year of “Okay, so is the movie happening or not?” to now, when our mentality is “The movie is actually on its way to theaters and will open in a mere few days!” is quite exciting.

4 Likes

Why 10/20?

2 Likes

Increases that sweet advance showings cash pile. :wink:

1 Like

As you might have sensed from last week’s social media reactions, the movie reviews are not especially glowing so far. They are collectively rating it higher than Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad, but not by a lot. Several revered institutions such as the Washington Post and Associated Press are saying it’s a good film. But there are more sharply negative reviews than we usually see. Even people whose allegiance to DC Comics is not in doubt (Reel Rejects, Perri Nemiroff) are saying it is fun but flawed

As soon as I heard how quickly filming was completed (compared to Aquaman and Flash), I was lowering my expectations. But I will form my own opinion this weekend.

The bigger question than the reviews is will Fast and Furious franchise fans turn out for this film, in addition to comics fans - maybe that audience doesn’t give a hoot what the reviews are.

1 Like

I for one am still really excited for Black Adam! I never cared what RT rates a movie or what modern hack critics think! Call me stubborn but I prefer to make up my own mind about a film.

But yeah hopefully the mixed reviews won’t hurt the box office too much! I’m not too worried though. Aquaman had mixed reviews and made a billion dollars! So hopefully Black Adam will be fine!

5 Likes

At least it isn’t rated worse

2 Likes

The Fast and the Furious movies (especially those with Black Adam) generally get bad reviews, but go on to make bank at the box office and in the home video ecosphere.

I suspect Black Adam will be just fine.

1 Like

I just saw it and it was a blast! Rock is great as Black Adam and it is so fun to see characters like Hawkman and Dr. Fate in live action. Plus… the post-credit scene MUST be experienced in the theater!

9 Likes

Movie was fantastic. Best time I’ve had in the theater in years. Yes the credits scene alone is cause to be excited for this particular fan, but don’t go watch it just for that. Watch it for the explosive action, for a badass JSA, for connecting some DCEU threads, for the incredible score, and just an overall great time. Highly recommended.

9 Likes

Saw Black Adam last night. It was a blast! Loads of action, comedy and heart. Fast paced like a rollar coaster ride, but never a dull moment!

I second that it was the most fun I’ve had at a theater in years!!

Also seeing the audiences reaction to the cameo in the mid credits scene was great! Definitely gonna go see a second maybe even third time if im able!

7 Likes

Just got out the theater. Really great!

First DCEU movie I’ve taken my parents to. Thankfully the plot was easy to understand. They especially liked Dr. Fate (so did I). Can’t wait for more JSA and/or Black Adam adventures!

Honestly came in interested for the JSA alone but Black Adam was also very interesting in the origin + character department. Want to see him interact with the rest of the DCEU especially Shazam!

And the music was sooooo good ~

7 Likes

what dream?

1 Like

They were predicting $60 in opening weekend box office, but they now say it will make $67 for the weekend, which is a very solid showing - twice what Birds of Prey made and just about equal to Aquaman’s opening weekend.

The B+ Cinemascore that opening day audiences gave it is a decent score and nothing new. Except for this year’s Batman and League of Super-Pets, all the DC movies back to late 2019 received a B+. If people are saying this film is of the same quality as The Suicide Squad, that’s great news for Black Adam!

2 Likes

You are bringing back memories of just how awful its opening weekend was, and it was predicted to open at around 50 million.

2 Likes

Black Adam is looking to open to $140 million world wide! Pretty solid! And given movies with the rock tend to have good legs we could be seeing another hit for DC!

Fingers Crossed it can keep up the hype/momentum! It should be free from Competition another couple of weeks until Wakanda Forever comes out in November. So hopefully the next couple of weeks see a strong turn out!!

7 Likes

Cavill just made his return as Superman official on Instagram. Tried to post a link, but it only posts the picture.

Couldn’t be more excited :smiley:

5 Likes

Saw it last night. Awesome™:+1: movie.

Great action music adventure and more.

The JSA were great. Hawkman was awesome™:+1: as the leader of the team. Hoping for Hawkwoman/Girl to join him eventually. Fate was amazing. Him magic and charm. Just great. Sad he died but wonder who the helm will choose next?:thinking:. Smasher and Cyclone were cool. Great rookie stuff from them and cool showcase of powers. Smashers uncle was a fun cameo. Interesting with Waller assembling them. Seems she brought them back together after a disbanding. Interesting how she did that after the events of Peacemaker.

The human characters were cool. A nice showing of why the people of Kantaquo (butchered that​:sweat_smile:) think they might get the powered shared with them in the future :thinking: Sabbac was cool to. Not a ground breaking villain but very cool for the action of it. Cool to see more DC magic with him though. Hoping for magic.

Black Adam himself did great. Rock did better than I thought. Captured his serious tone with his naive comedy and heart he has for his people. His action was great as well.

Post credits were cool. Great to see Cavil back. And Hardcourts cameo was cool. Seems like she’s been promoted.

Overall a great fun action packed adventure.

5 Likes

Preach

6 Likes

Preach about preaching. :00_hawkman:

3 Likes