Bill Finger Appreciation Thread

With Batman day fast approaching, (or perhaps even here, depending on when you join in) I think it’s only fair to take a moment of recognition for Batman’s co-creator Bill Finger.

For those of you who don’t know, despite the fact that Mr. Finger was largely responsible for the creation of the Batman and the world in which he inhabited, he wasn’t given credit for this for more than 75 years. In that time, artist Bob Kane had claimed to be the sole creator, and was treated as such. While Kane got rich and famous, Finger died penniless and alone.

Yesterday, I decided to rewatch the Hulu documentary “Batman and Bill”, which is a masterpiece in its own right. With the story fresh in my mind once more, I felt obligated to create this thread.

Mr. Finger was instrumental to shaping the DC Universe into what we know it as today. He created or co-created Gotham, the Batmobile, Robin, the Joker, Catwoman, Green Lantern, Batarangs, the Riddler, Scarecrow and dear old Alfred Pennyworth, just to name a few.

He was also known for creating bombastic plots and larger than life set pieces for his characters, like massive typewriters, which have since become a staple in the campier side of Batman lore. With his seemingly endless well-spring of ideas, Finger breathed a life into comic books that had never been seen before and, for the most part, hasn’t been seen since.

So while you’re celebrating Batman, make sure you don’t leave Finger out of the mix. After years of being forgotten, it’s the least we can do for his memory.

11 Likes

This is a great idea! I’m going to go watch that documentary now, actually.

1 Like

I highly recommend that documentary also. It was certainly an eye-opener, and really sad that they buried his contributions for so long.

Thank you, Mr. Finger.

1 Like

I believe that was the first time I saw a biography of Bill Finger-- was it called “Batman’s other Father>”

Not only did they not give him proper credit, but they essentially fired him once he and other writers started pushing for better compensation. (For more information, read “The Madames & the Girls: The DC Writers Purge of 1968” by Mike W. Barr with illustrations by Frank Miller.)

Fingers contributions to comics can’t be stated enough. It is arguable that Finger is more responsible for Batman and his adaptability as a character than Kane ever was.

Bob Kane is Awesome but bill gave us the iconic look