BigBlock Junk Poll

So, just curious, out of the crappy junk that I’ve sketched over the past few months, which do you like the most?

9 Likes

It was between Red Hood, Blue Beetle, and Batman for me! They were so awesome!

5 Likes

They are all beautiful and so detailed. Love the colors. Honestly, it’s kind of a tie between Cass and Jason because of the amount of detail in the background for Cass so I went with favorite character for the poll.

But the sre all great so keep them coming!

7 Likes

We only get to chose one? The name of this thread is very misleading. A more appropriate title would be BigBlock Gems Poll. Great work, my friend! Now do a JL group shot so I can use it as my phone wallpaper. Please and thank you :slightly_smiling_face:.

6 Likes

@moro , @Jurisdiction , @SpoilerAlert88 Thank y’all. Yall are always way too kind.
:hugs::blush::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

aw shucks! you’re makin me blush

4 Likes

3 Likes

That’s a pretty nice load of “junk” you have here, @bigblock66! My votes are below (because I can’t choose just 1) with explanation.

Swamp Thing: Splendid mix of foliage, some with hard outline and some without. It’s difficult to come up with so many shades of green that still allow the main character to shine and somehow you managed to pull it off. He’s posed in such a way that feels ominous and lurky, which feels spot on for Swampy too. This one really stood out to me.

Red Hood: Mentioned in your other thread

Blue Beetle: I like the mixed media vibe of the background. The glow on Beetle’s extremities is also a cool feature. The palette lends well to a moody mellow, with incoming action and I love how you were able to capture that.

Flash: Classic with the brightly colored hero against a white page. I absolutely adore that. Definitely supports taking it all in and noticing the finer details in the smooth, defined outline (which are fantastic)! I see that he didn’t skip leg day either! :wink:

Super well done! It’s awesome to see you trying many different characters with a variety of poses and settings. Thank you for sharing with us!

4 Likes

Awe. Thank you very much @KeyFamily
That means alot.
Hopefully I will get better over time with the digital stuff. It’s blatantly obvious that I’m a noobie with digital.
But I’m gonna keep trying to get better

4 Likes

Plus, I seriously need to practice on drawing female characters. It was brought to my attention that I made the….um….chest….way too “large”.
It was my first attempt ever, at drawing a female… so I seriously need to work on that for sure.
Everyone was telling me…”um wow….she’s definitely well endowed up there…”:pensive::unamused:

4 Likes

Hey man, it takes time. (Also, it doesn’t feel “noob”ish at all!) Watching an artist progress is fantastic and the DCU is a really nice place to learn and grow. I just this week finished my first original comic page and felt good enough to have it printed. Keep up the great work! I’m excited to see you do well!

3 Likes

Haha. It didn’t go unnoticed here either. But that comes with practice. Earlier comics (and even some now) have super busty female characters and have no shame. Lol.

I had a book that was specifically for people in poses, which also allowed for work on proportion. I think reference books are an absolute must and I have as many as I need for my interests. Got another birthday coming up? :grinning:

3 Likes

Oh awesome!
The only thing I have is one of these little doohickeies.
The posable wooden things that people use.

I have to ask my daughter to borrow it.
I dont have any books or anything.
I just try to pose him in what I’m trying to go for, and once i get the outline down, i try to sketch in where i sort of see muscles at.
:unamused:

Like I said,……seriously a noob
Sounds like you have a ton of great experience

3 Likes

Wish I had kept that book! I could have sent it to you! I just cashed it in at HPB for a book on cartooning and another on calligraphy (for a different project).

Those wooden guys are what experts use! Super helpful. I’ve never used one, but I’ve been avoiding drawing people and focused on other areas.

An interesting activity might be to put a stick figure on a page and then “fill it out” with (picking a random number here) 3 unique female body types for each stick figure page. That way, you could full dive in to proportion on each one and have 3 great examples to use in the future based on the character. I did this recently with cartoon faces - picked a head shape and filled in 9 faces, each with unique eyes, noses, and mouths. It was challenging but fun.

Here’s what I did.

I think you have a terrific start - this will just beef up your skills even more!

3 Likes

Oh wow. That’s awesome :clap::clap::clap::clap:

3 Likes

And its extremely thoughtful of you to think about me regarding the book. You rock my friend

3 Likes

:grin: Thank you! Most of the things I’ve been working on aren’t DC-related so there’s not much to share.

You are most welcome!

3 Likes

Haha. Yeah i messed up a while back by posting some of my Marvel stuff.
I think the Mods know me as the idiot rule breaker of the forum.
I posted some nova, ironman, Wolverine, deadpool, etc. :rofl::flushed:

3 Likes

Oh snap! Well, you can share those in the Iceberg Lounge! So cool that you’ve made that many more! Where’s Spidey?!

3 Likes

Made him too. Hold on, let me see if i can link it to u. Get your professional opinion

3 Likes