Best single issue story

Batman Annual 1990 (#14)
Batman Annual 1987 (#11)
Penguin Triumphant

2 Likes

Harley Quinn rub 'n snuff Christmas issue. It’s so wild! I normally don’t even care for that run on Harley Quinn, but that one issue was so out there in every way, you can’t get through it and be upset about anything

1 Like

@StarofLyra

Did you get the original with the “Devils Lettuce” still there? That’s the one I have, but I understand that they removed that in later printings. Lol.

killing joke

even tho it’s a graphic novel

Detective comics 526. Just a genuinely fun, whiz bang story of Batman taking on a huge portion of his rogues gallery as a double sized 500th appearance.

1 Like

The Flash 54 (1991) half the story takes place on a jet liner, the other half in free fall. It’s the internal dialogue, and how the story works out that makes this a great read. Love when a story can break from the normal supervillian B.S. and still show us the best quality of our heroe.

1 Like

Superman #156 or Multiversity: Pax Americana #. They’re both too good to pick.

1 Like

Pax Americana is sooo good, but gonna go with Hellblazer: Hold Me (think it’s #27) Gaiman’s Constantine story. And Dave McKean cover to cover…

2 Likes

@DeadmanBrand
That’s a classic, but I’m not the biggest fan of Neil Gaiman’s writing style.

Just read Nightwing “The Boys” was surprisingly good for a lesser known, at least lesser known to me.

Superman/Batman #77 (2003) on site was good for one I’d never come across b4
Also Superman/Batman #27 Power Girl/ Huntress stand alone on site same series.

1 Like

There’s one with horrible art but a dynamite story about a virus in Russia. Nightwing keeps blacking out, but it’s a great storytelling device . . .

@djd Nice picks from Superman/Batman, especially #27.

Time once again to pick the one no one is going to mention

There is a secret six issue, number 15, “Control”

It is literally just Deadshot talking with Craemer, the spiritual advisor of Spectre, in a coffee shop about his worries and problems, and we get the pioneer of Deadshot Ostrander as writer. But I really like it mostly because of how it really delves deep into the greatest assassin in DC. We don’t really get stuff like this from the bad guys too often.

Plus there is one line that is absolutely killer from Deadshot.
“I met a devil once, his name was Neron. Asked me what I wanted more my soul. Know what I told him? More bullets.”

1 Like