Best single issue story

Whats everybody favorite “one & done” single issue comic?

7 Likes

For me my favorites would have to be
Superman #39 (New 52)
Batman #36

2 Likes

Far too many to list but BATMAN: LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT (1989-) #100 that’s on the app right now is a really good retelling of Dick Grayson’s origin story, that I’ve always really liked.

3 Likes

The Killing Joke - This is one of my favorite stories, ever! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

“Who Is Donna Troy?” Just re-read it last week on the app, and it really holds up.

4 Likes

The Titans issue before that one where Cyborg’s Girlfriend got kidnapped by her ex was also a real good one too. Amazing how well those old Teen Titans from the 80’s hold up.

4 Likes

Good question. I’d say:

Batman: Blackgate— Isle of Men

or

Teen Titans Annual #1 by Geoff Johns

2 Likes

I like batman rebirth 38 I think. Superfriends part 2. You don’t need the first one it’s just a good story.

5 Likes

Batman: Gotham Knights issue 1 written by Devin Grayson. Batman gets a case where a couple’s shot in their house leaving a young boy orphaned. It’s an easy one to solve, but the bat family believes that Bruce is overlooking evidence because the case is hitting too close to home. However the truth is Batman doesn’t want to accept his conclusion as truth. The issue also has a back-up story with art by a pre Hush Jim Lee.

4 Likes

Wonder Woman issue Day in the Life. Written and drawn by Phil Jimenez. Lois Lane follows WW for a day to see what a normal day for WW looks like.

3 Likes

New Teen Titans #38 (“Who Is Donna Troy”), a perfect done-in-one. It might revolve around Donna Troy, but the star is really Dick Grayson

2 Likes

“What’s So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way?”

Action Comics #775

7 Likes

@84mdcb

I just finished reading Gotham Knights #1, I have the entire run digitally, but hadn’t started it yet. #1 was excellent.

Nice recommendation. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Superman Annual #11. Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons introduce us to the black mercy in “For the Man Who Has Everything.”

5 Likes

Nobody Dies, Flash #54 (1987-2009)
While working with the IRS, the Flash aka Wally West is flying on an airplane that is hijacked by terrorists. although he stops the hijacking, a hole is blasted through the plane’s roof and a flight attendant is sucked out into space. despite having not being able to fly, the Flash jumps out of the plane in an attempt to save her life.

4 Likes

Got to agree with davelopez: Superman Annual # 11. “For The Man Who Has Everything” Is not only one of the best “one and done” comics of all-time, but it was adapted into one of the best-animated stories of all-time.

3 Likes

Bump for the great recommendations above.

2 Likes

The first appearance of the Joker from Batman #1 definitely deserves a place on the list.

2 Likes

Superman annual #11 is exactly why Bill Maher can go @#%^ himself.

My personal favorite is still “the Killing Joke”. Yes, it became canonical but it was written as a one-and-done.

2 Likes

I can’t think of a definitive one immediately, but in the meantime I’ll echo support for Superman Annual #11 and Action #775.

3 Likes