Best Comic Book Ever?

A few days ago, I made a thread called “Worst Comic Book Ever?” I’ve seen a lot of replies, and I want to try the opposite now - What is the best comic book you’ve ever read?

3 Likes

Im gonna add my opinion too because i’ve missed the opprotunity to add mine in the last thread

Worst Comic Book:
DC
-All star Batman and Robin
-Heroes in Crisis

Marvel
-Spider man one more day
-Marville

Best Comic Book:
DC
-Blackest night
-TDKR
-Watchmen
-Doomsday clock

Marvel
-Frank Miller’s daredevil
-Old Man Logan
-Punisher Year one
-Dark Phoenix saga

Other
-Spawn
-Umbrella Academy
-Hellboy

5 Likes

Best mini series:Crisis on Infinite Earths

Best single issue: Flash 123 ( the origin of the multiverse) or Batman 232 (first Ra’s Al Gaul appearance and the issue where we got the first modern interpretation of the Batman, back to his worlds greatest detective roots)

3 Likes

The best runs/stories of the absolute best? Classics and all? This is my opinion, these are too hard to compare against eachother imo. Its definitely modern age heavy, thats just my preference, sorry.

-On DC Side:

Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross

The Saga of the Swamp Thing by Alan Moore

(Vertigo)The Sandman by Neil Gaiman

TDKR by Frank Miller

Watchmen by Alan Moore

The Coyote Gospel by Grant Morrison

Red Son by Mark Millar

The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale

(Vertigo) American Vampire by Scott Snyder

Jack Kirbys Fourth World

JLA: Rock of Ages by Grant Morrison

Green Lantern Rebirth by Geoff Johns

All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison

Mister Miracle by Tom King

For the Man Who Has Everything by Alan Moore

Hush by Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee

(Vertigo)100 Bullets by Brian Azzarello

(Vertigo)Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughn

The Court of Owls by Scott Snyder

Sinestro Corps War by Geoff Johns

-On the Marvel Side

Infinity Gauntlet by Jim Starlin

Planet Hulk/World War Hulk by Greg Pak

The Eternals by Neil Gaiman

Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron

Captain America by Ed Brubaker

Ms. Marvel by Willow Wilson

Daredevil: Born Again by Frank Miller

Daredevil Yellow by Jeph Loeb

Thanos Wins by Donny Cates

Moon Knight by Warren Ellis

Black Bolt by Saladin Ahmed

Vision by Tom King

Runaways by Brian K. Vaughn

Invincible Iron Man by Matt Fraction

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction

Darth Vader by Kieron Gillen

Cosmic Ghost Rider by Donny Cates

Immortal Hulk by Al Ewing

Ultimate Spider-man by Brian Michael Bendis

Star Wars by Jason Aaron

-Best of other publishers:

Saga by Brian K. Vaughn

Chew by John Layman

East of West by Jonathan Hickmann

The Wicked and the Divine by Kieron Gillen

Irredeemable by Mark Waid

Criminal by Ed Brubaker

Descender by Jeff Lemire

Fables by Bill Willingham

Yeah thats a lot of comics…

7 Likes

Justice League New Frontier

Golden Age

Planetary

5 Likes

Best overall: Crisis on Infinite Earths. Full stop. No question. Batman: The Long Halloween is the only thing I can think of that comes even close.

Best full ongoing: Birds of Prey vol 1. (Honorable mentions to The Question vol 1 and Captain Atom vol 1)

Best run of an ongoing: Mark Waid’s Flash (honorable mentions to Paul Dini’s Detective Comics, George Perez’s Wonder Woman, and Chuck Dixon’s Nightwing)

Best single issue: Detective Comics #826. (Honorable mention to Detective Comics #572)

4 Likes

Best western comic I’ve read: From Hell
Best bandes dessinee I’ve read : The Incal
Best manga I’ve read: Akira

I like to sort by the three big arenas of comics. America to Europe to Japan are all so vastly different, so thought I’d pick one of each.

3 Likes

Multiple people have mentioned Crisis on Infinite Earths. Is it really that good? Sure, it’s big. It’s definitely historically important. But I don’t think the story is good.

5 Likes

Gonna throw Mister Miracle into the mix, as well as Superior Foes of Spider-Man, and while I’m at it, Harrow County

5 Likes

@StarofLyra Is Harrow County really that good? A friend of mine just picked up the omnibus and has been enjoying it. Was gonna borrow it eventually but may do it sooner than later if it’s that good.

3 Likes

@Awesome_Squid: What don’t you like about the story? I’ll admit it’s on the popcorny end of things and the dialogue is a little clunky, but as a way to celebrate DC’s history and characters and close out the Pre-Crisis continuity, I’m not sure how they could’ve done it better. And I’m saying this as someone who thinks Marv Wolfman is overrated.

2 Likes

@Awesome_Squid
I don’t know if you read it in the time it was released.

I did (yeah, I’m old) For me, for the time period and era, it was jaw dropping, a huge bold step into a new idea comics had never done. Even when the silver age started, it started with characters that weren’t being published.

By the second issue you realized, “OMG!!! They are really destroying universes. Nah!!! This is all gonna turn out like a dream sequence or something.” Because the idea has never even been touched on before. As it went by issue through issue you realized “Holy bleep!! They are really doing this. They are destroying the freakin multiverse.” So when Supergirl dies and Barry dies, it was a visceral experience. Heroes of that caliber don’t die!!! Well, they do now.
(Yeah, Ferro Lad died and a couple of other minor characters had. But Flash and Supergirl. Holy bleep!!!)

It’s not the best written story Marv ever did, but, given what they were doing, I’m not surprised. This was totally new territory and a superhero story we’d never experienced.

I think now with 6 other Crisis type events, it’s easy to look at it and say “yeah, it’s decent even pretty good, BUT…”

There is not a way for newer comics readers to “just forget everything that has come since”, to temporarily wipe all the post COIE comics history they know from their minds. I wish there was and they could take in what it was like in that moment.

As a real-time reader, for me, and some folks who I knew from the local comics shop, for a year, it was the major topic of conversation. Even for the Marvel fans. My brother was a Marvel only person around that time but I would buy 2 of every issue so I could send one to him (he was active duty military at the time) because it was such a mind blowing concept.

It might not be the best comic ever written, drawn and/or edited. But, it is the one, and only, comic “run/series/event” that, now 30+ years later, I still get the same visceral sensory memories about.

That feeling comes from truly great storytelling. Even if it isn’t the pinnacle of writing, art, etc.

2 Likes

Scalped is my favorite series, however, as cliche as this answer is, Watchmen is just soooooo hard to beat. Kingdom Come comes close though

2 Likes

@ DeSade-acolyte COIE was a 12 issue Maxi-Series and it is the best as far as I’m concerned.

1 Like

@DeadmanBrand

In my ever so humble opinion, it’s one of the best horror comics out there. Everything about it flows well; the art matches the story, the panels are easy to follow, the writing never comes off as talking down to the reader. It is a truly well crafted comic. My husband is very picky about comics, it’s rare for him to truly like one, and HC is one of his favorites (along with Injustice and Metal).

So yeah, it has my recommendation LOL

2 Likes

@SquigglySquid I also love Scalped! Made me a huge Jason Aaron fan. Wish he had more time for Southern Bastards, however. Kind of fallen off his other brand stuff. Have you read Bastards yet? I may like it more than Scalped, but it seems forever stuck in hiatus halfway through. Like Scalped, it kind of seems more interested in making a great villain than hero. Red Crow is one of the most complete, rounded, living and breathing characters to inhabit a comics page.

1 Like

@StarofLyra Definitely on the reading list then!

2 Likes

I think I have answered this question elsewhere on this app, but the single best comic book I have ever read has to be Superman Annual #11: “For The Man Who Has Everything”. And the best series–mini or maxi–for me: Batman: Year One".

2 Likes

@baseballmaniac Batman: Year One isn’t a miniseries. Still agree with your choices

3 Likes

I forgot an honorable mention: “Daredevil: Born Again”.

1 Like