Bendis on Justice League?

Note: Superboy IS confirmed to be in Suicide Squad. We don’t know why yet, but DC had confirmed it.

3 Likes

I don’t know what’s more surprising: Superboy in the Squad or Black Adam in the League! Conner makes a little more sense with his Future State story, but I’m genuinely shocked by Adam in the League.

1 Like

Well, there goes my Match theory.

I…really don’t know how I feel about that?

But, yeah, sure, let’s put the clone of Superman on the team of morally questionable black ops murderers and the actual Superman on the same team as an actual child murderer. Sounds legit.

Gonna take one heck of a narrative justification to explain those choices.

2 Likes

Pretty sure this is going to be an “Endless Winter”-thing (and, as stated above, a “movie”-thing)

2 Likes

DC just released their March solicits. Unless there’s a new series coming later, looks like Billy will only be appearing as a member of Titans Academy for now.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen any mention of Shazam in the details for Titans Academy, but I also didn’t notice that he is mentioned specifically in the Future State Teen Titans issues. His placement is still a bit odd considering that, but I guess that is where he’s going for now

It mentioned him as part of the “student body.”

1 Like

For Future State or Titans Academy in March? I’ve only seen him mentioned in the Future State solicitations so far

Titans Academy in March

1 Like

Any chance you’ve got a source on that? The only mentions of Shazam I’m seeing in articles about Titans Academy are specifically referring back to Future State or mentioning Tim Sheridan’s previous work on Shazam

1 Like

Anyway, keeping ourselves on topic, March solicits also confirm that, yes, Bendis will be taking over Justice League, and yes, that is Black Adam and Hippolyta on the team.

1 Like
3 Likes

Huh. I totally missed that, but it does explain the situation better. Thanks!

2 Likes

Bendis craps on everything he touches that has a cannon. Some, not many, of his stories are ok, but he is one dimensional and tries to insert himself into the character. Hint…not sure who called you “the great one”, but you are not and that’s a lame title.

Go finish destroying Superman…you hack.

Terrific, one more title to avoid.

I had a neutral stance on Bendis coming to DC.

I loved his Daredevil.
I disliked his Avengers.
His Defenders started off really good, but got cut because he went to DC.

At DC he did an impressive job at re-focusing the Superman titles to include the Daily Planet staff more.

However…
Legion.

Leviathan looked really good, even if the use of Plastic Man instead of Elongated Man in a book being marketed as DC’s biggest sleuths came off as a bit odd.
But then I read the first issue…
And Lois Lane’s dialogue didn’t match up with what I’d expect from an award winning reporter, who would probably have a better command of the English language than most anyone around her.
Matter of fact, I imagine she’d be someone you could turn to and ask ‘what’s a nine letter word for the scientific study of life on a microcosmic level?’
His Lois Lane sounded like Jessica Jones.

Bendis does really good with street level heroes, and I had high hopes for Leviathan. But after that grammatical error, I stopped reading.
It may sound weird, but if it’s just the first issue and there’s an error like that, I’m not invested enough yet to overlook it.
I may go back someday and try to read it again if DC ever decides to revisit that storyline, or if a new Green Arrow series comes out that references it.

As for the League…
It looks like it’ll be another Avengers, with unfamiliar voices coming from familiar faces.
Naomi will be his Jessica Jones for this team.
And we have another villian-turned-hero in Black Adam, who will undoubtedly take up a whole arc to have him turn evil again later, since he is the only rogue for Captain Marvel that’s stood the test of time.

The most interesting for me is Green Arrow, Aquaman and Black Canary being on the team, but I don’t know if that will be enough for me to enjoy it.
Especially if all three sound like hipsters or high school kids.

1 Like

I’ve said it elsewhere, but the main issue with Bendis is that he’s a “street-level” writer who keeps getting “cosmic-level” books. His runs on Jessica Jones, Daredevil and Ultimate Spider-man are legendary for a reason, and the Batman Universe mini he did was actually pretty darn good. Heck, say what you will about his Superman run (Lord knows I have), but some of the best parts were the bits with the Daily Planet or the Invisible Mafia (at least at first) or Superman interacting with regular civilians.
For whatever reason, Bendis just can’t seem to wrap his head around the “big, fantastical stuff,” so it ends up being a mixed bag every time he tries (X-Men, Avengers, Superman). Unfortunately, Bendis is also a big name writer, so Marvel and DC keep putting him on their big name books, when what Bendis really needs is to be put on a title like Green Arrow or The Question or even a Ted Kord Blue Beetle series.

2 Likes

Bendis can’t do women very well outside of Jessica Jones. He hit his peak and is out of schlitz. He made Superman a wuss and Lois an illiterate and self centered SJ W “Gurlz Get It Done”. That’s not good writing, that’s just placating people who don’t actually read comics…

1 Like

I’ll concur on this. Legion and Young Justice have been a bit hard to read as he’s trying to make sure you understand every character’s role and how they fit in, but you only get 32 pages to cram all of that in and the main story line. It honestly felt like every issue with these giant team ups was dealing more with with Role call than story telling. I’m not optimistic about the story telling. Bringing other characters back into the spotlight though, I’ll take that. Been a minute since I’ve seen GA and Black Canary in action.