Bendis Announced He’s Leaving Superman. Thoughts?

You are not alone, @moro! I’ve loved his run and will really miss him on the books! I thought he nailed Clark’s voice right from the get-go, and his issues have featured lots of iconic Superman moments! Here are some of my favorites!

4 Likes

That’s interesting. Personally, I’ve always thought he does his best work on solo books.

I kind of hope when Bendis’ run is finished and I can read it in one go, I’ll appreciate it more. Like I could see what he was setting up and how it ultimately paid off.

1 Like

A kindred spirit! Based on your username and the “moments” you posted, we have a bit in common :grin:. All the snapshots you provided are some of my favorites as well. You created a monster; here’s more I’m really fond of:

3 Likes

I have really not been enjoying Benis’ run and I stopped reading. I kept picking up the book because I’m “O.C.D.” about holes in my collection, so hopefully it reads better in one sitting. Not sure if there is a way to do it elegantly but I would LOVE to get Jon back at 10 years old.

I will say as someone new to reading Superman with rebirth being my first read of him (really enjoyed that run) in continuity (well solo Superman read not count any team ups cross overs or the leagues) and I enjoyed it. Then after 1000 bendis came. And I have to say it was great. Some moments between him and Lois or him and John and just with his entire cast has been great. I feels like Supes to me. Full of hope and still able to hit those low points and fight through the struggles. Just it been really amazing and even better accompanied with all the amazing artists who have been on it.

3 Likes

Here’s how Bendis would write this scene. It would span two pages.
“Did you hear it?”
“What?”
“Bendis is quitting.”
“Superman?!”
“…”
“Well?!”
“Yeah. He’s quitting Superman.”
“…”
“Yeah…”
“Yeah…”
“…”

3 Likes

The I’d reveal did it for me. Stopped reading after that. Maybe I’ll pick up the writers version.

Bummer on one hand, as I’ve quite enjoyed Bendis’ overall Superman run. Action Comics a bit less so, but as for Superman, that’s been a pretty solid run, especially with Ivan Reis’ gorgeous artwork.

Exciting on the other hand, because if say…Robert Venditti takes over on one or both of the two main Superbooks, I’d be ecstatic about that. His run on Superman Giant/Superman: Man of Tomorrow is great, and I’d love to see in-continuity Superman tales from him.

Plus, Venditti has said that he left Justice League because a great gig came along that he couldn’t pass up. Hopefully it’s for one of the core Superman titles. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

His run was terrible! Amid all the “supposed” world building was the deconstruction of the Kent family. He sacrificed the “first family of comics” (sorry Reed and Sue) for cheap soap opera narrative. His meandering, snail-paced stories–punctuated with confusing and gratuitous action–were sloppy and boring. I wish him well on his other projects, but I am ecstatic that Bendis is leaving Superman.

I agree, I love his stuff with Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Those are the type of books that I prefer he works on, not a big title, but a smaller title that he can make big.

3 Likes

This will be the best possible outcome. I want to believe he will leave it where another writer can take over smoothly.

1 Like

I’d love to see Tom King & Andy Kubert take over Superman.

3 Likes

Tom Taylor would also be a fantastic choice. I love what he did when he took over writing duties on Earth 2.

2 Likes

Can’t say I agree. All I’ve seen from him is hyperviolent Injustice: God’s Among Is, DCeased, and Suicide Squad. Which is fine- not my taste, but I understand there’s a market for it.

But nothing I’ve read of his said that he’d be a great fit writing Superman. The only Superman I’ve seen him write is the one from Injustice which I’m not a fan of at all.

1 Like

I can’t really decide where I stand on this. But I think Bendis is too uneven in his deliveries for me. There are too many issues that gives me nothing as a reader in between the good ones. It feels like he just sits down and pushes out the word count in 5 issues and then delivers that good one with heart in it.

My biggest motivation for keeping him on is that he seems to be one of the writers who doesn’t resort to cheap edgy writing. It feels like Superman.

I’m afraid that whatever comes after will just be some Snyder/Houser-esque Superman with a nose piercing, who shows the hidden darkness that was always within. Also he wears black. Black is cool. Meat skewers through the head is cool. Metal. Yeah.

1 Like

My gut tells me I’m glad he is leaving Superman. He is an obvious great talent, but bringing back Jor-el, changing the history of the destruction of Krypton, making Jon a teen and leave Lois and Clark (and I do enjoy the Legion and understand why he did what he did) just did not sit right with me. I dropped Action from my pull list a year ago because I just lost interest.

1 Like

Daredevil: End of Days is one of the best comic storylines I’ve ever read. Wanted more at the end.

1 Like

His work with Kryptonians over in Earth 2 along with Justice League/Power Rangers shows me he can do more than stuff like Injustice and Suicide Squad

2 Likes

That was Jurgens, not Bendis.

See Action Comics 991 :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes