Ben Affleck is Officially Out

This makes me sad. If Matt Reeves doesn’t do a great job, he will hear so much backlash, it could drive him nuts.

Sad news but also a relief. There was so much compromise and interference that both actors and directors would have had little confidence on what tone to settle on. The last thing that would be good for fans is for us to have to continue to suffer through tonal shifts due to the studio chasing after the approval of everybody and pleasing no one in the process. I couldn’t stand to see another Justice League where they are forcing jokes out of Batman’s mouth and Affleck just looking defeated in the reshoot scenes. He gave an admirable performance in BvS and that’s how I will remember him. I will never be able to watch Justice League again, however, due to the butchering of the character.

The role and Reeves’ movie have been held hostage long enough and are now finally free. Everything concerning the director’s approach sounds very promising and I think the fans might be in for a big reward once the film arrives. Now we get a new Batman. Casting time is always exciting.

2 Likes

I believe we will get an excellent trilogy from Reeves. The planet of the Apes trilogy is dang near perfect

2 Likes

His reinterpretation of Let the Right One In was pretty good too.

1 Like

I enjoyed Batfleck and am truly sad to see him go. I think the new movie will be great too though.

2 Likes

He was good. That fight scene in BVS at the warehouse was spectacular. And now the speculation can begin…who will be the next Batman!?

1 Like

Sad to see affleck go. They just need to find a batman that will stay on for a long time and cool fight scene just like bvs.

Dang it, if that was going to happen than they should’ve kept Christian Bale.

1 Like

I was never a big Affleck fan. When they cast him as Batman, I thought, “Didn’t any of these people watch Daredevil? He was awful!” So I was kind of biased from the very beginning. I still think BvS was absolutely terrible. I thought he was basically just generic in SS - nothing made him really stand out as anything other than an older Bale. But I didn’t completely hate him in JL, so I guess he was just starting to grow on me.

Oh well.

I feel that Afleck wanted out and despite him being my favorite Batman I think this will be a good thing! I look forward to a new, younger Batman and hopefully a story we’ve never seen before!

1 Like

It’s unfair because I feel his Batman is arguable the best onscreen Batman we’ve gotten, and he was wrapped up on movies that were not up to par. Ben Affleck and the character deserved so much better than they both got, and I’m saddened that we won’t ever get to see Batfleck in a decent Batman movie now.

3 Likes

Yes Ben deserved so much better. We got robbed from Batfleck vs Deathstroke. We got robbed from Jl vs Legion of Doom. We got robbed from Jl vs Darkseid. No Man of Steel 2 but a Super Pets movie, Harley Quinn trilogy and Plastic Man. Is this the Hope & Optimism WB wanted for the Dceu?

7 Likes

He was a great Batman., but I don’t mind them changing it around.

I am not interested in the upcoming Batman flick so far though. It sounds like another origin story, maybe with a little of the Gotham series added.

It’s been done to death.

DC needs to let go off the safety rail and do something new. Preferably with someone new.

2 Likes

Good riddance to Affleck. I’d really rather not have another origin story though. Let’s try something new - like maybe not re-booting a comic storyline. Maybe a new villian, or a new story with an old villain. Let’s also skip the origin story, parents’ death, Bruce growing up bit that we’ve seen far too many times and know by heart, and jump right into a ‘Batman at his prime’ era, and hit the ground running.

1 Like

My heart is broke and sadness consumes me. Alas, the show must go on. I think that this would be an amazing opportunity or a few actors whom may add to the legacy of the character. All of these actors I believe would be great for a number of different reasons and I would be interested and excited to see any of them take on the role. So in no particular order. I would love to see Bruce played by Collin Ferrel, Keanu Reeves, or Adam Driver. Haha I guess if I had to order them I would say I’m most interested in Adam as in actor so it would be amazing if her were to take on the role. I also think that it would be the most practical choice for the current vibe of a modern audience. However I think Keanu would best connect with the current direction and design of the continuity thus far and moving forward. Personally I think the best choice for the character and the one I would most desire to see in the role is Collin. I think he would the most interesting and impactful actor for the role

Ben Affleck was writing and was ready to direct a Batman vs Deathstroke movie.

That’s what we’re not getting.

Jay Oliva said “The original Affleck script was the best Batman script I’ve ever read. Ben had a kick ass story and I believe that the audience and fans would have loved it.”

That’s what we’re not getting.

4 Likes

I’d like to avoid modern interpretations of Batman. Let’s see some old school Jim Aparo and Neal Adams adventures.

@abfgmdw, Henry Cavill is the superior portrayal of Superman for me. He made Superman feel like a person with real emotions. Christopher Reeve, in contrast, played it like a comedy skit. Maybe it was funny, but nobody behaves like his version of Clark Kent in real life.

You can check Jay Oliva’s Twitter, @jayoliva1, to see what he’s said himself. That’s where I got my information.

6 Likes

@Xnam360 Yeah Henry Cavill>Reeve

2 Likes

I’m late to the part on this thread, but isn’t it a younger Batman for this story so it’s pretty reasonable to think that Affleck would/could be back for a new JLA story in the current movie continuity.

3 Likes