Battle of the Billionaires

Bob Kane himself, co creator of Batman with Bill Finger, said Batman was inspired by Sherlock Homes, Zorro, a Leonardo d’s Vinci sketch of a bat winged flying machine and his own imagination.

Screen Rant suggests other influences:
Least first

D’Artagnan. The Action Hero. Sometimes Kane mentioned Douglas Fairbanks
Flash Gordon
The Lone Ranger
The Bat
Dracula
The Whisperer alter ego James Gordon
Doc Savage
The Black Bat
Sherlock Holmes
The Phantom. Detective
Dick Tracy the villains
The Phantom
Superman
The Shadow
Zorro

Even Superman’s human name is not original
Clark is the first name of Doc Savage
Kent is Kent Allard, one of the alter egos of the Shadow

3 Likes

@Zombodie you obviously read a lot and not just comics. I also love to read. I like documentary film’s as well. But I don’t trust the internet. I believe we have discussed my “news” on another thread talking about the fate of the DCEU I admited that I dont like the news because it is always wrong or incomplete. Mark Twain once sead " If you don’t read the paper you are uninformed. If you do read the paper you are misinformed." Any hoo. few years ago I saw a documentary about comic books. I can’t remember what it was called. It was about the marvel and dc rivalry. I that documentary they were saying that a lot of the writers and artists were getting recruited back and forth. And that is one of the many reasons why some of the characters are so similar. Expanding on what you were saying about classic literature. You are correct. Story borrowing is nothing new. George Lucas, Stephen King, Edgar Allan Poe, heck William Shakespeare, are all guilty of this. Going all the way back to the Greeks and Egyptians. Plagiarism is old as the written word.

1 Like

Which reminds me that they even straight up use mythological legends like Ares and Hercules for DC and Thor & family for Marvel.

I can’t believe I forgot to bring up Zorro. He inspired Batman including in the comics and Batman inspired Iron Man. They’re all awesome and made their identity their own. No 2nd rate stuff

3 Likes

Ughh, I guess I’ll stay out of this one cuz even on an exclusively all things DC site u can’t offend Marvel fans. I’ll just say I get exactly what your saying & you covered all bases as to not offend & your words still got twisted. I used to jump on every Marvel vs DC thread & shred on Marvel but its pointless. You couldn’t have worded it better & people still get upset. I agree with your point as to what u were really getting at & I agree.

2 Likes

It has nothing to with offending. Fan boy/girlism is so damn annoying . Being biased often gets in the way of logic and giving fair credit.

This is a DC exclusive app but it doesn’t mean Marvel shredding is cool. So thanks for not getting into this one. The thread is about Batman and Iron Man being similar and yes they are but my point was simply that it’s fine and both can be appreciated for their own stuff

2 Likes

TX85

I agree that’s why I said it’s pointless & I don’t do it. I wasn’t being aggressive I was just saying this thread got off point before I could even comment. Didn’t mean anything by it & have nothing against people liking both. It’s not my place to tell anyone what to think, no offense meant.

2 Likes

Fair enough, I apologize too

4 Likes

Awesome, in fairness I did word that wrong I didn’t mean to start another DC/Marvel war so thank u for being the bigger man, much appreciated.

5 Likes

All I know when Batman and Ironman are busy duking it out. The real billionaire with the fancy suit would come out and blast em both to kingdom come. Lex wins!

1 Like

Hawkeye was a green arrow ripoff I don’t care what anyone says I much rather watch batman then iron-man

1 Like

If marvel fanboys are going to get their feelings hurt so be it. Almost every marvel character is based on dc characters. Sorry but that’s the truth

3 Likes

Since btw OP you worded it fine. Sometimes you can’t win with sensitive marvel fans

2 Likes

They’re all rip-offs of Robin Hood, two-fold for Green Arrow

They are eccentric billionaires because it gives them an excuse to do what they do for a living. They gotta pay for all those toys. As for all the other stuff, why even bother trying to bait the attacks?

Looks like I hit a nerve with talking about hawkeye

Ok now that it’s been some time. Marvel sucks soooo bad omg it’s such a copycat joke. DC fanboy? you bet!!! that’s why I’m on an all things DC site.

3 Likes

Lol exactly djd!

1 Like

SouthPark
You inspired me to be myself & that’s truly how I feel. If it upsets u that people on an all DC site hate Marvel there’s a Marvel site I’m sure. If you’re both cool, but don’t expect people an on all DC site to cater to your Marvel love. No love here for Marvel from me get it somewhere else.

2 Likes

Exactly! I never thought I’d encounter so many marvel apologists on this app! There are some elitists on here that will try to devalue your tastes and choices but they are not the majority. Drown them out my guy and keep being yourself. Put my face pic for that very reason lol.

4 Likes

Right on I hear ya’. I would never go on a Marvel site & say don’t talk about DC, nor would I join it & talk about DC at all. It’s like joining a Steelers fan club & saying why don’t u guys like the Browns too. Don’t cheer against the Browns on this all things Steelers site. HaHa, oh man too right tho SouthPark.

3 Likes