Batman: Caper Crusader Series Scribe Ed Brubaker Suggests Darker, More Violent Tone In Upcoming Show

10 Likes

The actual title is old news, but there is some big misinformation in the article.

The show’s relocation is part of the broader initiative by DC Studios heads James Gunn and Peter Safran, brought in by Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav in 2022. Their goal is to streamline DC’s properties by implementing a 10-year plan that unifies storytelling across film, TV, gaming, and animation. While specific projects like The Batman: Part II by Reeves, the HBO Max series The Penguin , and externally distributed content like Caped Crusader will operate independently outside this strategic framework.

No it is not. This was started way before they were put in charge, and making stuff like this is the opposite of streaminling all DC TV and films, especially putting it on a different network. This is a relic from the previous regime.

8 Likes

I’m very much looking forward to this series from Bruce Timm and Ed Brubaker. Billed as taking place in a pre-BTAS timeline the show is said to be focusing on B-Man’s first years in the cowl, long before the Batfamily and even before he builds a partnership with Commissioner Gordon. The visual is supposed to invoke the 1940s Decco-esque vibe of BTAS but from an even older standpoint. The first ten to twenty issues after B-Man’s first appearance in Detective Comics are my most favorite era of the Dark Knight Detective and I’m really hoping for good things from this show. :+1:

For fans not familiar with B-Man’s Golden Age era in the comics I wholeheartedly recommend you get some reading in on it if you get a chance- the stories are captivating and they don’t disappoint. :smiley:

8 Likes

Same but two words give me worries “J.J. Abrams.”

9 Likes

Same. Timm’s in the room tho so I think he’ll be supervised well enough. :+1:

8 Likes

I’m hoping it’ll have a similar vibe to this 75th Anniversary short:

10 Likes

And now we know why Ed Brubaker is leaving before The Caped Crusader Season 2:

It stinks but I’m happy to finally see Criminal move forward.

7 Likes

Agreed. I’m thinking the series’ look will def be influenced by it.

8 Likes

Definitely. It’s one of my favorite interpretations of Batman.

5 Likes

@TheWifeOfJasonTodd

4 Likes