Batman Beyond at 25: A Newcomer's POV

Hello, everyone! Today, January 10, 2024, marks the 25th anniversary of the now-fan-favorite Batman Beyond, which not only introduced characters who have gone on to appear in almost every possible-future version of Gotham City since, but also pushed the boundaries of what children’s/all-ages animation could be. As a Gen Z person who never really got into Batman: The Animated Series (though I do agree Kevin Conroy is the best on-screen Batman), I thought I’d give the now-classic sequel a try, and tell you what I think as I go through the first two (and maybe more, if I get around to it) episodes for the first time.

Kevin Conroy was so great :smiling_face_with_tear:

The title sequence is up there with that of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in terms of random images of sexy young adults in nightclubs.

Speaking of sexuality, is it just me or is the wrestling sequence somehow even hornier than wrestling already is? First, Chelsea tells Dana that she’s “wrestled” Nelson before, which either means sports are no longer segregated by gender in this decade, or it means something very different, then Terry tells Nelson that he’s not as pretty as the Joker from earlier.

Anyone else reminded of the opening street chase in Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu: Sons of Garmadon?

Oh, wow, they’re just fully going with the Spider-Man origin story, aren’t they?

For a second there, I thought episode 2 was gonna end with a recreation of the Batman: The Animated Series intro, with Terry… That woulda been really cool.

See y’all later! Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel! Or not! This could be a one-time thing!

3 Likes