Batman #50 was a betrayal to the fans and the character

I never feel betrayed when the author tells his or her story. I may not like the arc, but come on–betrayed–isn’t that a little strong?

1 Like

Rofl

King has stated that this story goes up to 103 issues. I don’t think it’s a betrayal. The story needs to run its course.

3 Likes

Yeah, it was pretty deflating. But the wedding also felt rushed. Wouldn’t have felt quite right, even if it was pretty creative.
On the other hand, it’s well beyond time Gotham can afford for Batman to retire. He’s got an army of geniuses, ninjas, and inventors.
I mean, how old is Bruce again? I imagine him in his 40s-50s or something, New 52 be damned. He’s more a general than a foot-soldier at this point.

Nah. Tom King is playing the long game. Can’t be so near sighted.

2 Likes

I had the same intial reaction. But u feel like King’s ultimate end will repair that relationship. I think he wanted to emphasize the importance of the relationship by building doubt and this whole arc will culminate in the resolution of their doubt. Thats my hope at least. If he just has them break up and then the end moving on im gonna be livid. Batman being married would be an excellent and interesting new dichotomy of the character and it needs to happen.

2 Likes

No way man!! Bruce let his guard down!! He thought he could be happy and Bane capitalized on that moment of weakness!! King has positioned Bane to be a great Bat villain!!

I’m certain Tom King will deliver, but it’s certainly no excuse for the way #50 was advertised.

Honestly batman is too untrustworthy for a marriage to last so even if it went well and catwoman didn’t pull one of he most off color things ever the marriage would fail

I have Batman issues 48, 49 and 50, none of which I’ve read yet, partially due to some of the negative reaction to the issue’s outcome. I’ll read the issues and some point and judge for myself. However, I know the basic premise. Unfortunately, I think most of the creators and publishers are phobic when it comes to marriage (Look what happened with the Amazing Spider-Man and the Barry Allen version of the Flash.)

1 Like

Yeah, back when New52 came up, I was as mad as anyone that they “annulled” so many of the marriages in DC. What was worse was that they had already hinted at tarnishing Barry and Iris’ relationship even before Flashpoint by having Patty Spivot go from just a co-worker, to a person Barry had some kind of feelings for other than Iris.

1 Like

I completely disagree. First, the moment the marriage was announced, I knew it wouldn’t happen. Second, there’s a bigger story still being told, give it time… third, it was LITERALLY the only time I’ve been in a comic store and crying. The issue was great.

1 Like

It was set up that Catwoman and Batman’s marriage was doomed to fail since Rooftops. It’s not obviously stated but it’s there and I think King made a lot of really smart storytelling choices with this issue in particular with the letters written by Bat & Cat.

1 Like

I think it’s more a betrayal of Catwoman’s character. The whole thing makes Selina look like a moron. I mean her whole reasoning is that Bruce will be a less effective crime fighter or just give up in Batman all together if they get married or as it’s more specifically stated if he’s happy. But here’s the thing about her little hypothesis: THERE’S NEXT TO NO PROOF OF THAT. As a matter of fact everything in Rebirth if not the entire history of Batman is proof to the contrary. Bruce is already happy. He has a family that loves and supports him, his best friends are SUPERMAN AND WONDER WOMAN, he’s a multi billionaire who with almost every action he takes as either Bruce or Batman makes his city if not the world a better place there by honoring the vow to his parents a million times over and to him that’s still not enough. Besides Selina is a crime fighter too if Bruce was marrying Julie Madison or Silver St Cloud this argument might make sense. But it’s not, it’s Catwoman who’s saying this. Does she expect Bruce to just retire while she still goes out there every night? Bottom line it’s stupid.

His whole run, in my opinion, has been a disappointment. Didn’t stop me from buying a bunch of those variants. Lol.

1 Like

@wjccpamst, I think you’re on to something. Look at what Bendis did to poor Superman! He ships Lois and Johnathan to outer space! :rofl:
…It definitely would of been intriguing to see a different side to Bruce/Batman if the wedding would of happened. I just don’t think Tom King understands Batman. I feel like some of his run/creative choices was just to create controversy and shock. I’m very excited about Peter Tomasi taking over Detective Comics! He gets Batman! :bat:

1 Like