Batman #50 was a betrayal to the fans and the character

Batman #50 was supposed to be a celebration of love for two of Gotham’s greatest characters but ended up. Being an extremely disappointing and false advertised cash grab. I’ve been a defender of King’s run because he’s the best in the business but that was a total betrayal.

7 Likes

I disagree. I wasn’t the biggest fan of the way it ended don’t get me wrong, but the way he executed it made sense enough for me to buy it, not like it as much as I’d have liked, but buy it at least

2 Likes

Batman not getting married angers me so much man smh

We finally was gonna get a huge status quo change that would have stuck for years to come. And DC yanked it away.

And don’t get me started on how manipulative the MARKETING was for this event.

2 Likes

You say betrayal, I say a fictional representation that not every story has a happy ending. Sometimes things don’t end up the way we want. Sometimes the baggage is too much. That’s just life.

1 Like

There was a lot of build up, and the whole “wedding Crashers Joker” angle was played up so much that I feel like more could have been done with that. I have enjoyed Superman as a husband and father, and I think Selina being step-mom to Damian would have made for some great stories. I wouldn’t go as far to say I feel betrayed, but there was a chance for some really cool arcs.

2 Likes

I mean great points and I’m glad we can start this dialogue but it’s just odd to me It’s funny that the people that are okay with batman not getting married because it’s comics and Batman can’t be happy are okay with the same creative killing off Arsenal and other characters in Heroes in Crisis by saying that characters have to change and things have to stick so that comics matter. I’m not saying that’s anybody saying that under this thread those are just sentiments I’ve heard recently.

King hasn’t finished his story yet. Any hype fault is due to Marketing at DC. I’ve been enjoying the run and can’t wait to see where it goes.

2 Likes

I was beyond pissed when the wedding didn’t happen, but King still has until issue 100 until his run is over. I’m hoping that by the end of it, Batman puts Bane down again with the help of the family and Selina. Then the two of them can finally get married and we’ll have a new element for Batman stories moving forward.

I believed that until you get Dan Didio constantly saying we can’t have that level of storytelling because the bat family can’t have prolonged happiness because if thy do then thy cant channel that trauma to be the heroes they need to be.

1 Like

You’re seriously overreacting…

1 Like

He has until #103, let the man write his story. Can’t claim it’s a betrayal to the fans…what did he betray? How so? Cause he didn’t give us what we thought we were gonna get?

3 Likes

I’ve liked about 25% of King’s Batman, really disliked 35% of it, and 40% I just thought was fine. Batman #50 was fine. And compared to how unsatisfying a lot of his conclusions are, I thought #50 was one of his stronger endings (unless you just really wanted Bat and Cat to get married)

I’m just glad they didn’t get married. The most interesting part of that relationship is that things never work out. Batman is married to his work, this is the way it should be.

2 Likes

The issue itself was fine – the way they were planning to get married was super weird and it might have been for the best they it didn’t happen that way – the prelude to the wedding issues was complete crap in retrospct.

1 Like

The only betrayal was the whole the whole road to marriage. Selina constantly downplaying Batman’s mission as child play and King just wanting to put his degree to use. Its best they didnt get married.

1 Like

King is killing it on Batman. This run will be legendary when it finishes.

2 Likes

Not a fan

The problem was the marketing. I think King is a fantastic writer and I personally really enjoyed 50. But it was oversold as a This Is It moment when anyone could have told you that it would end in tears. He’s still got another 50 left though. Plenty of time to end in a wedding. Met him at SDCC and he said he doesn’t get why people are so up in arms when there’s still so much more story to tell.

I thought the whole storyline, especially #50, read like an ode to the love between the characters. Even her bailing was done out of love. I’m okay that the wedding didn’t happen and I certainly don’t feel betrayed in anyway.

1 Like

King is a really strong Batman writer and I think people will really worship it when he’s finally off the title and goes on to do more great things for DC in the same way Jeph Loeb did things for Batman during HUSH. Batman and her breaking it off happened there too and I didn’t see the issue with it then just as I don’t know. It was done out of love and perfectly in keeping with the antagonistic yet intimate dynamic that the two characters have always had. Them getting married would honestly kill what makes them both so interesting. It’s like what @ralphsix says.

@Stinky235

Exactly. His run is strong but poorly marketed and he always has so much more up his sleeves than he lets on initially.