⚫ :batparrot: Batgirls Discussion (SPOILERS) :batparrot: 🟣

What’d you think of the issues with Jon Kent and Flash?

3 Likes

Loved the Lolipop belt issue with Batman. Given Bruce has an edict memory like Babs does. I also loved Lois kicking in John’s door with a solar rifle in her hand…yet dick’s weapon of choice was a stuffed hedgehog. God, I would love a Lois and Selina team up to save their husbands (bruce and Selina are all but married to me) series. Wally carrying Dick piggyback, and or bridal style and Wally beating KJBeast were great. I also like that Wally does not take his family for granted and checks on them constantly.

1 Like

This^^^ :raised_hands: :fist_right: :fist_left: :fist: :+1: :purple_heart: :00_batgirl1:

3 Likes

Yesssssss.

Nice! Rebirth was it for me, but I didn’t fall in love with King Bats until issue #32.

I think it wasn’t necessarily that DC didn’t know what to do with her, it’s that she was a supporting character and Dixon was trying to be protective of her in some senses. If you listen to some of Dixon’s Q&As about the NML and after period, he didn’t really trust or get along with the rising star writers, and so he didn’t really want the characters he was really invested in to get stuck in plots that he couldn’t extract them from (and to some extent, I think War Games proved him right).

I think just plopping Babs in the n52 and not making her regaining her mobility and use of her legs was a huge artistic failure. The way Black Canary got her cry back in Birds of Prey was a big story - Babs getting to walk again should have been too. Instead, it’s just “yeah, it happened somehow in the past” (the whole chip stuff wasn’t invented until Burnside). Very artistically weak.

4 Likes

Sasha W. is solid in her analysis indeed. She’s always a welcome stopover when I’m down the YouTube rabbit hole. :smiley:

3 Likes

To quote the Mutant Leader in The Dark Knight Returns, “I’ll do it, man! Believe me, I will!” :nerd_face:

begins re-reading Batgirl (2009) #1 while also throwing coal into the DM motor

Hey, look! My name is on the first page, and for three instances! This marks two Batgirl books my name is in. My inner Nightwing fan is most happy with this (even though one of the two titles I’m in features a Batgirl that isn’t Babs). :hugs:

continues reading

3 Likes

I would say that was creatively weak. not artistically weak. other than that ya I agree. They did the same thing when Jason died jumping straight to he is burried.

1 Like

Opening with a car race is a great touch, especially for people named Vroom! (note to self) :wink:

What’s the difference between creatively and artisticlaly weak?

3 Likes

Dude, keep an eye on your DMs, for the Batgirl-flavored conversational wine shall flow. :grin:

4 Likes

My eyes are peeled! A painful but necessary process!

3 Likes

Stop eating You Know Whats, and you might be a bit more pain-free, m’kay? M’kay. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

#Bondo

Very, very glad that Steph made it tho :relieved:

5 Likes

thinking on it, for me in the case of comics which are a hybrid medium consisting of written and drawn medium visuals with multiple people working on them, it’s a way to separate the writer from the artist if they are not the same person.

1 Like

ah, i see what you’re saying. I don’t make the distinction when I say “artistically” - I would say “visually” if I were talking about the penciller. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Likely so or i could just be putting my foot in my mouth. But for me at least it’s the very subjective and hard to define nature of the root word art in the word artistically as everyone has a different opinion on it.

2 Likes

Where did Steph and Babs’s freckles go?.. WHERE DID THEY GO!!! I am ambivalent about the new character designs, but the story is great. Cassandra has interesting fashion choices. AHHHHHH We get to see them on their mopeds =)…and they love them. Hmm we still have yet to meet Seer’s mom…I want to know if Grace is her mom.

2 Likes

The mopeds were pretty sweet. Miss Bondo, though.

I was a bit :face_with_raised_eyebrow: about Steph saying “How am I supposed to fight in a dress” because of Batgirl #8 and Red Robin #10 showing her doing exactly that, but Michael W. Conrad responded to my tweet asking about that! https://twitter.com/michaelwconrad/status/1536800946369478657

I personally never saw Steph as having freckles - I don’t mind when Corona drew her with them, but they aren’t in any other artist rendering. I do really, really miss Corona on interiors, though. The coloring is the same, so it still feels like the same world, but I miss the energy. The art in this issue just didn’t work nearly as well for me, though there were many good moments, especially the dresses!

5 Likes

Cass was heartbroken. :oncoming_automobile: :nail_care:

I was thinking that maybe they could just get a new Bondo every few issues, and when it gets torn up, just switch off into a new one maybe? It’d be kind of a fun running gag to go that way. :smiley: :smile:

5 Likes

Well, they could blow up the scooters next.

3 Likes

Such violence!

4 Likes