Average women not portrayed!

I’m deeply offended as an average woman to not see any portrayal of the average woman anywhere! There is nothing but skinny, pretty women on DC Daily and just most everything. This is not representative of the average woman comic reader! It just goes to show that comics and really most everything in society is still geared towards what men are interested in. It is really quite annoying, but also really sad. As a comic reader I’m disappointed that just like with picking up a fashion magazine or watching a Hollywood movie and feeling bad knowing I’ll never look like that, the same experience can also be had reading a comic or watching a favorite comic film. Also, as a woman with mental illness, I understand the toll it takes on a woman’s self esteem to never see a representation of myself anywhere. It just adds to my feeling of not being meant for this terrible world! Today’s society now says it’s ok to be a geek, but I fear it will never be ok to be a non-pretty, non-skinny woman in this superficial world we live in.

3 Likes

I understand what you mean, but you should also take some things into mind.

1. Being practical.

Say Bane for example we’re to kidnap you. Do you think an overweight person if really gonna be that fast, or very strong and might even die trying to save you. Now with a slimmer person, they’ll take down the criminal fast and with ease. ( if they are skilled )

2. Slimmer people are more common

1 Like

Also everyone is pretty!

2 Likes

To be fair, male superheroes also represent a physique that is unrealistic.

4 Likes

I dunno about slimmer people being “more common” nowadays…

Your right Jay, let me drop that argument

Also Ralphsix, your definitely right about that, so comics have toned that down over the years

Representation is not everything. Yea it is cool to spice things up but doing it for the sake of it comes off as forced(check Marvel). I am a super scrawny dude who is a single dad and I don’t see comic characters close to my real life likeness. Sure it would be cool to see but I worry more about good stories regardless of gender, race, etc.

Also, have confidence in yourself. You are likely a better human than you think yourself to be :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You could say the same thing about the guys.

Is this post a joke

3 Likes

I agree too…but the whole idea of comics is to exaggerate what we all like. All the male superheroes ALSO look amazing. Hell, if I could look like that, everything would be ok. But I value pizza much more than having an 8-pack. Lol. It’s as much for the woman as the man. Its what many of us like to look at and want to be ourselves. If comics had average people then we might as well just not read as it’s our everyday lives.

Hope that makes sense

2 Likes

Thank you for the post, it makes me more likely to subscribe. See, where I live I can walk outside and see average looking people doing average things everywhere. You know what I don’t see so much? Great looking people in great looking costumes doing heroic things. Knowing that the average person is not overly represented on here makes it sound promising; considering I am hoping to see superhero people doing superhero thigs.

Life has plenty of average person representation, comic book stories don’t need it.

5 Likes

Well…imo, they’re supposed to be inspiring, so why would they be average?

5 Likes

You should try reading Faith. It’s a Valiant comic about a fat woman who is a superhero and it’s surprisingly not very condescending. I think ComiXology has the first issue free or something.

4 Likes

Are you trying to say that average young women at fat or are you trying to say that you are used to seeing fat people?

I’ve seen info about Faith online and it looks pretty good. But saying it’s “not very” condescending isn’t really selling it! :slight_smile:

Newsflash, all us men arent jacked either… its comic books.

4 Likes

Let’s just all agree that comics are comics and people are people.
( Also I love how non toxic this app is)

1 Like

Hi there, Our team appreciates all feedback. I will be sending this information to the correct department for further review. If you should need anything else, please feel free to contact us via email. https://support.dcuniverse.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

If we are teaching our children to be exceptional why would we settle for average?

3 Likes