August's Community Member of the Month: Mae!

August is officially here, which means it’s time to recognize and celebrate a new Community Member of the Month! Let’s get to know @Mae!

What originally got you into DC Comics?
I’m not going to be original and I’ll say Batman '89. But also! Of course, Batman: The Animated Series. This is where I first glimpsed a certain pair of impetuous ladies who were into various mischief and each other :eyes:. At this time I was wee and would often check out the local comic book store but being somewhat poor didn’t really buy any of the comics but I would just chill in the back and browse and leaf through them.

Who is your favorite DC character, and why?
It was love at first sight. :00_batwoman: When I first saw the opening pages of Batwoman’s mind-blowing first appearance in Detective Comics, I knew she was different. Knowing she was queer, even before I really knew it about myself, was a big deal too, but actually mostly it’s simply her now-iconic look that caught my eyes and hasn’t let go (and never will) :purple_heart: Kate is such a strong and empowering character and I hope more people discover her, if they haven’t yet.

What books are you currently reading?
I’m shamefully not up on any of the hot new releases but I enjoyed DC’s latest annual Pride anthology. I hope this comes out every year and looking forward to a Wonder Woman story :muscle: :00_dc_pride_bs:

Are you watching any DC movies or shows?
The trailer for Season 4 of the bestest TV show ever Harley Quinn just dropped, so I have been literally watching that! But seriously, me and some of the Harley’s Crew peeps have been having such a blast watching the final season of Pennyworth on Max. Such a criminally underrated show! It takes place in a nutty alternate universe with great characters and some amazing costumes, and acting is tremendous. I don’t understand how this didn’t become a bigger hit. Watch it, everybunny! :tv:

What are you most looking forward to within the DC universe?
This hasn’t been announced or anything, but I need need Gotham City Sirens with Margot Robbie reprising her tremendous Harley Quinn on the big screen again, this time with her own Ivy (I suggest WB cast Ana de Armas :green_heart:) and lots of cuddly smoochy scenes! :harleyquinn_hqas: :poisonivy_hqas: Oh and we need a Selina. I’m open to suggestions. James, call me :call_me_hand: Seriously though, I’m excited about the new DCU cinematic universe, it seems we’ll have a vast and diverse set of stories touching on all corners of DC. Oh and #26moreSeasons of HQAS! :dancing_women:

What 6-12 books would you recommend to the general DC Community?
1. Amethyst (1983): A beautiful and really fun (and really '80s) story that I wish would, A) get more attention, and B) get a genuine live action adaptation. A series on Max would be sweet :purple_heart: Purple is also my favorite color, so…

2. The Huntress (1989): really dark and very late '80s, this was such a great and gritty story.

3. Birds of Prey (1998): The iconic series, along with all of the preceding one-shots and weird little appearances that we covered in our giant Series Read with the Bird of Prey club, just fantastic fun. Breaking hearts and faces, and now they’re coming back soon! :00_birds_of_prey:

4. Gotham Central (2002): Again, gritty and down to earth, I love stories like that.

5. Fables (2002): My introduction to the Fables Universe was actually through the amazing videogame The Wolf Among Us (part two is coming (?) soon) but the art and the book is just pure fantasy joy!

6. Harley & Ivy (2004): Possibly the most fun I’ve had with a comic and a proud owner of a hardcover deluxe edition of this generously and lovingly gifted by one and only Applejack.

7. Batwoman: Elegy (2009): I mean…

Congrats to August’s Community Member of the Month: @Mae! :clap:

44 Likes

Congratulation @Mae! It’s always great to have you here, I enjoy your watch along movies.:smiley:

20 Likes

Congratulations @Mae!!!

23 Likes

BIIIIG congratulations to @Mae! :smile: :clap: Thanks so much for all your hard work here!

23 Likes

Congratulations @Mae !

22 Likes

Well deserved- congratulations!!

22 Likes

I’m here for this!!! Congratulations, @Mae! It’s always been such an honor to hang out with you during WALs and to have built the rapport we have! Your work with Harley’s Crew and the Birds of Prey Club has provided so much for this community. I knew you deserved it, I knew you would get it, and I’m so psyched that it’s finally happened! Congrats, again, peep! :hugs:

24 Likes

Congratulations, a well deserved honor. Glad to see Fables on someone else’s list.

20 Likes

Congratulations. @Mae! You are awesome and deserve this!

21 Likes

Congratulations @Mae !

19 Likes

Congrats @Mae!

20 Likes

Well deserved! A true pillar of this community.

20 Likes

@Mae Congratulations! This is so well deserved. I swear the two biggest gateways to DC Comics are both Batman related-Batman '66 and Batman '89! Love your reading recommendations. Anyway, I’m going to go ahead and say you’re one of my favorite people here. You’re one of those who can actually get references to classic movies. Anyway, congratulations again!
Cary Grant drink

21 Likes

I’ve been waiting for this!!! Super well-deserved! Congrats @Mae!

20 Likes

Congratulations @Mae !! :partying_face::grin::purple_heart:

18 Likes

Congrats, Mae!

17 Likes

August came so quickly lol

Congrats @Mae

16 Likes

Congratulations! @Mae !

17 Likes

Congrats @Mae!

18 Likes

Congratulations LadyBat @Mae! :partying_face::bat: :00_batwoman:

It is an absolute blessing to have you in the community. I cannot imagine what the Harley’s Crew and Birds of Prey group would be like without you, you are one of the many hearts and souls that make this forum as great as it is. I hope you have a very good month of August, and just in time as Harley Quinn season 4 is coming out. Stay awesome, stay fierce, and as always, let’s keep the party going :heart::bat::heart:

FC02381E-8460-40F8-B8C2-F0B66B07EC5B

22 Likes