ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Yes he is! Kyle most recently appeared with the rest of the Green Lantern Corps to fight the Dark Army of Pariah in Dark Crisis.

See? There he is, right behind Hal.

4 Likes

Have to admit Q, your response to @wmoore542.49406 ties in nicely to my own queries But first, another deep dive into “My Favorite Martian” J’onn J’onzz. How many readers I wonder, remember that with the discontinuation of his 2nd series in House of Mystery (back in '75), J’onn was reunited with his fellow Martians. That he departed Earth with them in a spaceship. Their destination was New Mars! There, J’onn was to assume a position of leadership among his people! A storyline that played out over other titles, over time. Until 1988, that is. A mini-series appeared then by DeMatteis and Badger which retconned all that out of existence. This left J’onn back on Earth, displaced in time as well as space, with his race now thousands of years dead. Poor guy.

After that, I’m a little “fuzzy” on my Martian history. There’s been a lot of reboots, rebirths and whatnot in the last 35 years, since then. As I understand it now, the Martian race is once again, alive 'n well. That J’onn can and does travel back and forth, via spaceship. Something he was apparently, never able to do before. Hmmmm. And this new reality has given us a teenage relative, called Miss Martian. Terrible name, they should really change it. Anyway, my related inquiries, are these …

Abin Sur was the Green Lantern of Space Section 2814. But others (I presume) preceded him. And before that, we had the rebellious time of the Manhunters. Why did the Guardians not make him/her or their robotic representatives, aware of the planetary carnage that the White Martians were engaged in, on Mars? Or has that entire storyline also been relegated to the trash heap? Making all of these queries absolutely irrelevant?

I do hope I’m just ignorant on the subject matter. Since (as I’ve said before) I stopped buying most titles when the New 52 universe was introduced. And it seems things have only gotten more (not less) complicated since then. Multiple questions I know. But they seem like pretty good ones, to me at least. :slightly_smiling_face: I’ll gladly take knowledgeable answers from any and all community sources. After all, HCQ has got a very busy work schedule these days. And he, “disapproves” when I bunch up like this. :grin: Thanks!!!

Stay safe, be well.

3 Likes

If I understand your query correctly, you’re asking why the Guardians never got involved in Martian affairs. The answer to that is… they did! In John Ostrander’s Martian Manhunter series, we learn that the Guardians came to Mars a long time ago to offer their protection. The Martians were offended by this offer, and warned them to stay away from their solar system as long as they were around. Despite that, the Guardians were involved in making sure that White Martians didn’t become a larger threat to the universe. In 2003’s JLA #84-89, we learn that it was the Guardians who psychically instilled the Martian weakness to fire in them, as a means of controlling their destructive potential. By building an easy off-switch to their powers, they ensured that Martian problems would remain localized to Mars.

7 Likes

Way to go Guardians! And you too, ole’ man! :smile:

3 Likes

Since we’re talking about the Martian Manhunter let me add my query to the conversation. If I recall correctly, Martian Manhunter vol 5, the one where he and Diane Meade were private detectives, introduced the yellow martians. Are the yellow martians still around?

6 Likes

They haven’t appeared since that Martian Manhunter series, no. But that basically just happened in comic publishing terms, back in 2019. J’onn himself hasn’t had his own series since then.

5 Likes

I’d like to delve a little deeper into your response to @Reaganfan78 o’ seeker of truth and knowledge. As you’ve stated (on more than one occasion), Q doesn’t have any repeat offenders who’ve returned to challenge him, over the years. But, of those who are considered “arch enemies” of other heroes (like Riddler or Savage), who else have Sage or Montoya taken on (one-on-one) in print?

Well, 'til Mxyzptlk meets that other “Q” from Star Trek …

Stay safe, be well.

5 Likes

The “one-on-one” part of this question is a stringent limiter, because other than The Riddler there hasn’t ever been an outside established supervillain in a solo Question book, and that was just the one issue. And Renee spends most of her solo tenure tracking down the Religion of Crime, which ultimately leads to Vandal Savage. I will say that as far as Montoya is concerned, Two-Face has been a recurring threat to her both before and during her tenure as The Question. This particularly comes into play in the Convergence: The Question two-parter of 2015.

6 Likes

Your reference to the Religion of Crime and Vandal Savage, reminds me of others who have used religion to move followers to their will. God knows there’s enough of that in the real world. But it makes me think of Titans foe Brother Blood and Deacon Blackfire. The latter being a man who broke Batman psychologically, the way Bane physically broke his back! I don’t remember what happened to Blackfire at the end of the Cult mini-series from '88. Or where I last saw Blood, for that matter. What’s up with those two these days?

5 Likes

Deacon Blackfire, as you may recall, was killed by his own followers at the end of Batman: The Cult. Of course, these being comics, that wasn’t the last time he appeared. He returned in the New 52 series Batman Eternal, where Batwing teamed up with Jim Corrigan to dismantle his cult. His followers turn on him once again, killing him about a third of the way into the series. But, again, comics being what they are, that hasn’t been the end of him either. Blackfire has returned on several occasions as a ghost, one time possessing Maxie Zeus, another his own living relative, in attempts to regain a foothold in Gotham. He and his cult last appeared in 2018’s Detective Comics #982, where Batman finally gets the better of him on his own.

Brother Blood was one of the first villains that Damian Wayne’s new team of Teen Titans encountered in 2018’s “New Justice” era, where Damian’s secret project was rounding up villains and imprisoning them in his own personal blacksite until he could brainwash them using the magic of fellow teammate Djinn into being normal members of society. When that didn’t work, and Brother Blood sought revenge against the Teen Titans for Damian’s mistreatment, Damian killed (or, at least, claims to have killed) Brother Blood so he wouldn’t go after his teammates. The discovery of this led to the dissolution of Damian’s Teen Titans, his teammates feeling he had gone too far.

(Brother Blood has also been the main villain of the recent series Titans United: Bloodpact, but that’s set in its own independent continuity.)

So, in summary: they’re both dead.

6 Likes

Given what your amazing gumshoe (gum-shoe, love that expression) labors have turned up, I’m not at all surprised at their “returns.” Resurrections may be unique in Biblical lore, but they’re almost commonplace in the DCU. To paraphrase an old expression " You just can’t keep a Bad man down! " I doubt we’ve seen the last of either religious fanatic. Thanks for looking into that for me. Your Community Member of the Month Award, is well deserved!

5 Likes

:flushed:

4 Likes

What’s the current status of the original characters from the Super Friends (El Dorado, Black Vulcan, Samurai, Apache Chief, Rima, The Wonder Twins, and Wendy and Marvin) in proper continuity, and how different are they from their Super Friends counterparts?

6 Likes

That’s a big question, which demands a big answer. What better way to spend a Super Sunday?

El Dorado’s first appearance in DC comics continuity didn’t occur until 2016’s Suicide Squad Most Wanted: El Diablo & Boomerang #5. He’s seen there as the leader of Justicia, a Mexican team of superheroes who haven’t appeared again since that series. El Dorado claims to have formerly been a member of the “Super Friends” with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman. A cameo in 2019’s Wonder Twins #6 seems to back this up, appearing on call in the Justice League’s reserve roster.

Black Vulcan, as a character of convenience employed due to sticky creative rights around Black Lightning at the time, hasn’t made the leap into comics. The only time he’s ever appeared at all in a comic is for a cameo with the rest of the extended Super Friends in DC One Million 80-Page Giant as one of many Justice Leagues from throughout the multiverse. Outside of comics, his most recent appearance, along with many other Super Friends, was in the 2017 Lego Batman Movie.

In 2009’s Justice League of America 80-Page Giant, the Justice League is scattered across different eras of history. Batman and Doctor Light (Kimiyo Hoshi) find themselves in the 13th century, where they encounter a hero named Samurai protecting the feudal states of Japan. 2010’s Justice League of America #46 briefly establishes that a modern day Samurai remains active in Japan as well, though we don’t know much about him apart from the fact that his powers seem to be similar to the Samurai we know from Super Friends. 2018’s Doomsday Clock #7 confirms that Samurai is still active in Japan, as a member of the Japanese superhero team Big Monster Action.

Like Black Vulcan, Apache Chief has never made the leap to continuity outside of the aforementioned DC One Million special. But a character inspired by him, Tye Longshadow, plays a supporting role in Greg Weisman and Brandon Vietti’s Young Justice universe, particularly in Season 2 of the animated series.

Rima the Jungle Girl is a very interesting case, because she technically never belonged to DC. As of right now, she doesn’t belong to anybody. Rima originally debuted in the 1904 novel Green Mansions: A Romance of the Tropical Forest by W.H. Hudson. In fact, in 1959, Green Mansions was adapted into a movie starring none other than Audrey Hepburn. DC temporarily licensed the Rima property to publish a comic book adaptation in the 1970s, which just so happened to be when they were putting together an extended roster for Super Friends, which is how she ended up in the mix. Rima has since lapsed into the public domain, but returned once more to DC in their short-lived “First Wave” line in 2010, a shared comic universe of licensed and public domain pulp heroes including Doc Savage, The Spirit, and the original 1939 incarnation of Batman.

If Naomi was the heart of Brian Michael Bendis’s “Wonder Comics” imprint of 2019, then the Wonder Twins were the spine. Appearing in their own 12 issue series, throughout the Wonder Comics books, and in Bendis’ own Justice League run, Jayna and Zan were most recently busy interns of the Justice League at the Hall of Justice headquarters. What’s become of them since the Justice League’s dissolution in Dark Crisis is unknown. But in alternate universes, Zan’s early death and Jayna’s quest for justice has been one of the central plots from the beginning of DC vs. Vampires.

Wendy and Marvin have been a part of the DC Universe since 2006, appearing as fraternal twin caretakers of Titans Tower. (In the show, they weren’t related to each other, which is one big difference.) It’s eventually revealed that Wendy and Marvin are children of the villainous information broker Calculator. In Sean McKeever’s Teen Titans run, Wendy loses the use of her legs when she’s attacked by the monstrous Wonderdog. The Battle for the Cowl tie-in series Oracle: The Cure sees Wendy beginning training as Oracle’s new protege, but that storyline was abandoned with The New 52. Wendy and Marvin made their only Post-Flashpoint appearance to date in 2017’s Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #12, de-aged considerably into the young children of Calculator.

10 Likes

Holy Moly! Without a doubt, some of your best work so far this year. And thanks for that prompt response to my Dolphin inquiry, elsewhere. :grinning:

6 Likes

As often happens, your answers provide fertile ground for new questions. Finding out about Wendy and Marvin’s relationship to the Calculator, got me to wondering (pun intended) about other children with criminal parentage. Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain and of course Damian Wayne all come to mind. Anybody else out there I’ve missed?

4 Likes

Stargirl

6 Likes

I’m not going to try to name every single DC character whose parent is a supervillain, but here are 10 who come to mind:

• Aquaman (Jackson Hyde). Father: Black Manta.
  • Vril Dox, of L.E.G.I.O.N. Father: Brainiac.
  • Jericho and Ravager. Father: Deathstroke. (I’ll count that as one.)
  • Soranik Natu. Father: Sinestro.
  • Zoe Lawton (aka “Liveshot”). Father: Deadshot.
  • Boomerang (Owen Mercer). Father: Captain Boomerang.
  • Chris Kent (“Nightwing”). Father: General Zod.
  • Kid Flash (Wallace West). Father: Reverse Flash (Daniel West).
  • Robin (Daxton “Dax” Chill). Father: Joe Chill.
  • And, lastly, I’ve got to mention Orion. Father: Darkseid.

Honorable mention: it was once suggested that Anarchy (Lonnie Machin)'s father may in fact be The Joker, but that’s never been confirmed.

9 Likes

Some I’m aware of, and had clearly forgotten. Others are brand new to me. Thanks for the update!

6 Likes

I forgot to check last week. Latest column is up.

Questions answered by @RexRebel @Reaganfan78 @Corpsmember.78 @moonknightrider2.98991 @wrightline1.42741

5 Likes