ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

I love the question! As well as the premise being used as background in the new movie. It always struck me as “odd” that a defeated Titan, condemned by Zeus to “hold up the heavens” not the Earth, would willingly give up any of his sorely needed stamina to aide Zeus or any of the other gods, in any perpetuation that glorified those gods! But I suspect that Q will have something to say about my “take” on the subject. :grinning:

6 Likes

The only other time regarding the Penguin specifically which comes to mind is the 2018 MAD parody book, Don’t Let The Penguin Drive the Batmobile! If you haven’t read it, I bet you’d love it.

That said, there are a number of villains who have stolen the Batmobile in the past. The first was a group of villains called the Grasshopper Gang in 1964’s Detective Comics #334, who were working at the time for The Outsider, a mysterious villain who was eventually revealed to be an amnesiac Alfred Pennyworth.

Some others include:

• The Joker, in 1965’s Detective Comics #341, and 2005’s The Batman Strikes! #16
  • Freeway, in 2002’s Robin #106
  • Harley Quinn, in Injustice: Ground Zero #9
  • Catwoman, in 2017’s Batman Annual #2

But it’s not just villains! Wink (2020’s Suicide Squad #6), the Teen Titans (Teen Titans Go! #32), Jimmy Olsen (2019’s Superman’s Pal, Jimmy Olsen #5), and even the X-Men Wolverine and Gambit (Marvel vs. DC) have broken into the Batmobile for a joyride over the years.

7 Likes

As I’ve previously intimated, the mythological dynamics between the parties involved in the Shazam patronage is rarely invoked, due to the idea that the “magic gods” who empower Shazam merely share their names with the figures we’re familiar with, invoking their key characteristics without their history.

6 Likes

Something caught my eye while I was watching Smallville. Do you know when it was first established that Lois Lane has an iffy relationship with spelling? I know it was referenced in one of Brian Michael Bendis’ comics, but that’s as far as my knowledge goes.

3 Likes

Like Smallville itself being located in Kansas, that particular piece of Superman lore goes back to the 1978 Superman movie.

6 Likes

Thank you!

4 Likes

Hello @HubCityQuestion,
I don’t know if this was ask already, who was The Question arch nemesis? Just wondering. Thankyou. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The Question doesn’t really have a nemesis the way most other heroes do, in that his typical enemies are as figuratively faceless as he is literally: expressed through systemic corruption, international conspiracy, and the very concept of mistruth.

In the original Charlton Comics era stories, The Question faced one traditional costumed villain named The Banshee, who never appeared again. The Question’s most famous ongoing series, by Denny O’Neil and Denys Cowan, had no real recurring villains – save perhaps for the corrupt Reverend Jeremiah Hatch, who manipulated the mayor through the series’ first four issues until he met his demise.

The closest figure I’d say The Question has to a traditional nemesis, though, is someone he’s technically never met. Throughout the 52 maxi-series of 2006, The Question attempts to uncover the dealings of the enigmatic Religion of Crime, a clandestine cult with international influence and connections to both mystic and cosmic corners of the DC Universe. Vic Sage dies of lung cancer before he can get to the center of the mystery, but his protege Renee Montoya eventually takes his place to confront the figure behind it all: Vandal Savage.

8 Likes

The Banshee, or someone using his name and costume, did actually appear again during the brief period in 1983 when AC comics had the license to use the Charleton characters. The way wikipedia explains it is that Charleton solicited AC head Bill Black to write something for Charleton Bullseye. I believe Black had worked for them before.
After Charleton cancelled the book they gave Black permission to use the characters under a limited license. The result of that was Americomics Special 1. The book featured the first appearance of The Sentinels of Justice, which consisted of the Charleton Action Heroes. Banshee and I believe the Ghost and Punch and Jewelee were also in there as villains. But Banshee for sure.

4 Likes

That’s true. I do have a tendency to discount that special which was published in the very brief window during the Charlton/DC handoff, but to be completely accurate he did appear there as well. It’s just a comic that happens to exist in sort of a legal dead zone.

5 Likes

Today, we lost Lisa Loring, TV’s original Wednesday Addams, Cindy Williams, who costarred on TV’s Laverne & Shirley, and Bobby Hull, of NHL Blackhawks fame. Nicknamed "the Golden Jet ’ for his blond hair and lightning speed on the ice. It’s sad to see that some things really do come in threes. May they all Rest in Peace, knowing they’ve brought much joy to their fans, and millions around the world! :pensive:

4 Likes

yo @HubCityQuestion

you know how the major Justice Leaguers, have a love interest, Batman / Catwoman, Superman / Lois Lane.

There are two Justice Leaguers I am wondering about having a permanent love interest, or rather I do not think they do, that is Cyborg, and Martian Man Hunter aka Jon Jones.

Or do they?

I know Cyborg had in the new 52 or at some point a love interest but never a solid relationship, and I do not think Jon Jones has ever had a long term love interest due to his former family on Mars.

Is this correct?

3 Likes

In the silver age he had fellow police officer Diane Mead as a love interest until the Idol of Diablo storyline had John Jones “die” in the line of duty. After which he assumed the identity of deceased millionaire and gang leader Marco Xavier. I don’t recall Xavier having a love interest.

5 Likes

I remember the Diane Meade policewoman character well enough. But as for being a “love” interest for either the John Jones detective identity, or the Martian appearance he showed to the world, I’m afraid DC wasn’t ready to cross that particular “color-line” back then. Or now, as far as I know.

The Lois & Superman relationship always played off a lot “easier” for obvious reasons. But, I’m way behind the 8-ball on that kind of stuff these days. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Cyborg is traditionally very close with a woman named Sarah Simms, but that’s a non-romantic relationship by Marv Wolfman’s assessment – something I personally appreciate. Not enough strong male/female friendships in comics.

8 Likes

This actually reminds me of a question my friend and I had the other day - outside of the Pax Americana Elseworlds book, have the Charlton characters ever had a team to themselves at DC? Have the Sentinels of Justice ever appeared or been acknowledged in DC continuity?

3 Likes

Not by that name, but they have teamed up on a few occasions. The most notable is Dick Giordano’s L.A.W.: Living Assault Weapons. Most recently, they briefly appeared all together in Doomsday Clock, on the way to Mars with the rest of Earth’s heroes to confront Doctor Manhattan.

5 Likes

Is kyle rayner still alive?

3 Likes

Welcome to the community.

2 Likes

Somewhere in the Multiverse he is, it @HubCityQuestion will give you a much better answer. Welcome to the community

2 Likes