ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Welcome to the community, Marie! Before I answer your question, I have a few clarifying questions of my own. First, by The Dark Knight, are you specifically referring to The Dark Knight Returns, by Frank Miller? It seems like you’re looking to compare his art style to artists on Batman and its sister title Detective Comics which came before him.

If I understand correctly, then it’s a pretty monumental task you’ve given yourself. There are 50 years of Batman stories before Miller’s Dark Knight Returns for you to draw examples from. Any curated list from those hundreds of comics would be subjective, and each artist has their own style. While the art in The Dark Knight Returns is certainly distinctive, the idea that there was a “house style” before Frank Miller is a bit of a misconception. Every artist who approached Batman had their own way of doing it.

Some names to look for: Bob Kane and Jerry Robinson in the early years, Dick Sprang in the 1940s, Carmine Infantino, Neal Adams, and Marshall Rogers. Kane and Robinson’s work can be seen in the very first issues featuring Batman in the 1937 Detective Comics series. For Neal Adams you’ll want to look into his collaborations with writer Denny O’Neil, particularly the early Ra’s al Ghul stories. And for Rogers, while his tenure with Batman in the 70s was brief, his influence in collaboration with writer Steve Englehart in the run referred to frequently as “Strange Apparitions” helped codify the way we think of Batman today.

Also worth contrasting with The Dark Knight Returns is Batman: Year One, which featured Frank Miller as the writer, but Dave Mazzucchelli as the artist. This presents an interesting dichotomy between Miller as Writer/Artist and Miller as Writer which may benefit your paper.

7 Likes

The conversation about a certain private investigator’s whereabouts in the DCU, of course set off some bells ‘n whistles in the ole’ grey matter. Sending thoughts in search of memories, often found in the dark alleys of my mind. The kind of place where a gumshoe worthy of the synonym, has spent time. On behalf of a client perhaps. Or maybe just wakin’ up, after talkin’ to the wrong people. Know what I mean, pal!

My query therefore, good sir, concerns those who have a legitimate state license to practice the art of the “peeper.” As opposed to those who labor in the field (no matter how talented they may be). Present company excluded, of course. :smile: Or do so under the authority of a police badge. Professionals such as Jonny Double, Slam Bradley, Jason Bard and the aforementioned Nathaniel Dusk.

I know DC has others. No doubt many of whom I presently know nothing about. Here’s hoping you can correct that information gap in my P.I.Files.

Stay safe, be well.

4 Likes

Yes I was referring to the Dark Knight by Frank Miller to compare his art style to the comics that came before him, thank you so much for helping me! I feel more confident to write my paper now!

4 Likes

All right, Wrightline. This is one of those questions that would be impossible for me to provide a complete answer for without trawling with a fine-toothed comb through thousands of comics. After all, private investigators are part of what gave Detective Comics its name in 1937. But I can name a few who may have missed your eye.

You mentioned Slam Bradley, but there’s also Samuel “Shorty” Morgan, Bradley’s young sidekick who debuted right alongside him in Detective Comics #1. We find out that Morgan was killed in issue #572, 50 years later.

One of the earliest Quality Comics characters was private detective Hugh Hazzard, who debuted in 1939’s Smash Comics #1 as the operator of Bozo the Iron Man. Hazzard himself has never appeared in a DC comic since they acquired the Quality stable, but his Bozo robot has made a few cameos. A Quality contemporary of Hazzard’s, “Dick Manners, Super Sleuth,” debuted in Feature Funnies #17. The next year, Quality introduced married private detectives Jack and Jill Doe in 1940’s Hit Comics #1. Like Hazzard and Manners, DC may own the rights, but they haven’t appeared in a comic since their acquisition.

Larry Lance, love interest and eventual husband to the Golden Age Black Canary, was introduced as a private investigator in 1947’s Flash Comics #92. Later comics would establish that before entering private practice, Larry was a detective for the GCPD. His partner, Jack Lynch, eventually became a private investigator as well, and meets the new Black Canary in 1993’s Black Canary #12.

While we’re on the subject of Golden Age support characters, I’d be remiss not to mention Hiram “Stretch” Skinner, the lanky private detective and sidekick to Wildcat who debuted in 1942’s Sensation Comics #4.

One curious case I’d like to point out is 1957’s Batman #111, where we meet Bruce’s uncle Bruce N. Wayne, after whom Bruce himself was named. He’s a private detective from the west coast, and manages to deduce Bruce’s identity as Batman until the younger Bruce conspires to prove him wrong. After that issue, Uncle Bruce is never seen again.

Of particular significance is Tim Trench, who was introduced during Denny O’Neil’s run on Wonder Woman in 1968’s Wonder Woman #180. He’s Wonder Woman’s closest partner during this period which finds Diana without her powers, pursuing the villainous Doctor Cyber for murdering Trench’s partner.

Charlton Comics character Sarge Steel may be a government agent today, but he began in 1964’s Sarge Steel #1 as a private detective before he was recruited by the CIA.

You may be surprised to know that Jason Bard wasn’t the only Gotham PI in Barbara Gordon’s love life. Babs was briefly involved with another detective named Mark Hanner, introduced in 1969’s Detective Comics #384. Hanner is a diabetic, and it’s Batgirl to the rescue when he’s kidnapped and separated from his insulin.

There’s also three of the Courtney quadruplets introduced in 1976’s Detective Comics #460, Michael, Robert, and Jerome. Their fourth brother, Carl Courtney, operates as the Batman villain Captain Stingaree.

1978’s The Flash #260 introduces us to San Francisco-based private eye Philip Russell, in constant pursuit of a villain known as The Viper. Little does Russell know, thanks to a split personality disorder, that he and The Viper are one and the same.

Wyoming-based private investigator Harold Halston was killed by Vandal Savage in 1987’s The Flash #1, setting the scene for Wally West’s first case as the Scarlet Speedster.

An original television character, Megan Lockhart, was introduced as a recurring PI in the 1990 The Flash television series, who is kidnapped at one point by The Trickster and coerced into becoming his sidekick.

The politically radical left-wing, Boston-based private detective Micah Rains is a staple of William Messner-Loebs’ run on Wonder Woman, beginning with 1993’s Wonder Woman #73.

James Robinson introduced us to private detective William Von Hammer in 2009’s Superman #689, reviving the character for his 2011 Starman spinoff The Shade. He’s implied to be a descendant of Lieutenant Von Hammer, the Enemy Ace, but that relationship has never been canonically confirmed.

In 2016, the classic DC comedy strip characters Sugar and Spike were reinvented as private investigators for a marvelous run of features in the Legends of Tomorrow anthology, as the sleuths that the superheroes go to when they need an embarrassing case solved with discretion.

One of the most recent private detectives established in DC Comics is The Silver Ghost, who appeared in a Detective Comics #1027 story written by Grant Morrison. His true identity is unknown.

And last but certainly not least, there’s Sherlock Holmes, a real person in the DC Universe, as seen in Detective Comics #572.

7 Likes

In Green Lantern TAS Kilowog said he hatched from an egg. Is that comic accurate?

5 Likes

The Bolovaxian life cycle isn’t really examined in the comics. I’d say that the show is the primary source here.

6 Likes

Magnificent, good sir! Simply magnificent! But then, I expected nothing less. Your own talents at sleuthing constantly raises the bar, almost every time out. And as much as I appreciate your efforts, I realize that such inquiries can be labor intensive. You have a wide audience to satisfy, and I shall try to take that into greater consideration, in the future. Thanks again! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Your listing of some notable P. I.s in the DCU included one Philliph Russell who tracks down criminal the Viper without realizing it is actually himself as a split personality. That reminded me of the Silver Age Rose and the Thorn who suffered from a similar affliction. Are there more cases of characters hunting themselves down in the DCU without realizing its themselves?

5 Likes

Is there a reason why Superman doesn’t wear gloves? do kryptonian’s not have fingerprints?

5 Likes

I’ve seen some theories, but none published in a Superman story. I think it comes down to the fact that people assume Superman is just Superman all the time. They’re not trying to find out who he “really” is.

7 Likes

Not that I can think of. The closest may be Two-Face, who doesn’t always realize that one of his personalities is subtly working to sabotage the other.

4 Likes

What comics company has had the most crossovers with DC?

4 Likes

Great question. Dark Horse is pretty close, if you count all the licensed properties they had access to at time of publication, like Alien, Predator, Tarzan, and Conan. But even with that factored in, Marvel is still the winner. For now.

5 Likes

Thank you!

4 Likes

Other than being unusually curmudgeonly at the moment, I couldn’t tell you why this particular thought has arisen in my head. But, as I have no answer for it, that leaves you, my friend. I hope that something from you will put to rest this uneasiness that presently disturbs me.

My query involves the Spectre. And perhaps my understanding (or misunderstanding) of his nature. Whenever God’s crearions (the Earth, and all upon it) are threatened with total destruction by forces (other than natural) beyond the abilities of mortal men to deal with, why is the Spectre only occasionally involved? Does he not literally represent God’s presence on our little blue/green marble in space? And if so, should he not act to remove such threats? Or is planetary destruction outside the scope of his “jurisdiction?” Curious, as always. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Dear HubCityQuestion:

Do you collect DC Comics if so which, also what are your thoughts on the value of Variant Comics ?

5 Likes

I don’t, actually. I own a few favorites, but I’m not the kind who has longboxes full of issues. I’m of the type that prioritizes reading comics over owning them. That’s why I like DCUI so much. What I collect is information.

That said, I really like variant covers, particularly modern ones. Because more art is always a good thing.

10 Likes

How many Pulitzers does Lois have? Has a comic ever shown her accepting one?

8 Likes

Hey HCQ!

I was just wondering if we ever find out Alfred’s real birthday? I know there’s a comic where Bruce tries to find his birthday, but I don’t know if we ever actually learn the date.

5 Likes

I was gonna’ call it a night Hub, and then I read your response to @Corpsmember.78. That tied in nicely with something I was formulating, about a certain green skinned collector of alien civilizations. And although one technically should be going to Have We Met, I hope you’ll make an allowance for it here, today.

Like you, both Brainiac and Metron are all about acquiring information. In their case though, it’s both quantity and quality on a universal scale. I got to wondering if they had ever crossed paths? Even if only observing the other, from afar. That, actually sprang out of my main question, which is, just how many different versions of Brainiac (not counting any of his descendants), presently exist in the DCU? Lots,from what I see. Due as much to his ability to transfer his intellect into other forms, as to the never ending creativity of DC writers. Just curious? :slightly_smiling_face:

Stay safe, be well.

4 Likes