ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Is that Hawkman or Hawkgirl?

4 Likes

That’s Hawkman.

5 Likes

Cool! Thanks @HubCityQuestion!

4 Likes

I know this sounds really off since they are a pair so often, but Hawkgirl as a superhero came well later than Hawkman.

4 Likes

Complicated, as in non-existent?

4 Likes

Why did they erase Dr. Light’s memories in Identity Crisis?

4 Likes

As in, it would take a lot of negotiation between two major entertainment companies in order to sort out who has the right to what. It’s technically possible, as are all collaborative ventures. But there’s a lot that would have to happen for them to go through with it at this point.

4 Likes

The details are all in the story, I’m not sure what else I can tell you. It’s certainly not a pleasant one.

5 Likes

I know about the sue thing, but I thought there’d be something more

4 Likes

Well, the idea was that Doctor Light was aware of all the Justice League members’ identities, and was a direct threat to their family members and loved ones. If he wasn’t killed, he was all but guaranteed to break out and do it again. So the only recourse they felt they had was to wipe his memory of their identities.

5 Likes

Good enough for me. thanks.

:thinking: might have something to do with the color of Fire’s flames being green.

4 Likes

Was TEd Grant based on a real boxer or combination of them, I’ve never heard anything to indicate one way or the other, but I’ve always thought, he might in some way be based on James Braddock.

5 Likes

It’s a plausible theory. Irwin Hasen, the co-creator of Wildcat, came up in the cartooning world by selling cartoon depictions of boxers and boxing matches. According to Hasen, that’s why he was chosen to draw Wildcat, who was conceived of by Bill Finger as a boxing superhero. He wasn’t necessarily inspired by any particular boxer, but by Hasen’s years drawing famous boxers.

9 Likes

Danke

3 Likes

it isn’t often that an old mentor of mine gets mentioned in this thread. So, let me take this opportunity to fill in some background on one of the true (and often overlooked) journeymen artists, who helped DC get their titles to market, during the Golden Age. Irwin Hasen not only helped bring Wildcat to life, but also contributed to many a JSA story and covers to All-Star Comics. It was he who designed and gave visual life to Vandal Savage, Icicle, the Wizard, Harlequin and Per Degaton. PD’s first appearance in All-Star #35, created that iconic giant hourglass cover, that has been duplicated in various forms, for years. I’d be interested to know if Irwin was the first to present it.

His biggest claim to fame (artistically), was his comic-strip, Dondi. It ran for many years and at it’s height, spawned a Hollywood movie staring David Jansen, in 1961. Creative little guy that he was, he would often supplement his income by hiring on to various cruise lines, heading south for the Winter. There he would provide caricatures for any and all passengers who might desire one. Having mastered that aspect of his talent while doing sports art for the newspapers.

In later years, he shared his skills as an instructor at the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon & Graphic Art. He was one of my teachers there, and became a good friend and mentor. He left us in 2015, and I miss him. I just thought you all should know a little bit more about him. And maybe, have a better appreciation for his contributions to the comics industry.

Stay safe, be well.

8 Likes

Thanks, for the information.

4 Likes

So what’s the status of Nathaniel Dusk in the DCU these days? Originally he was supposed to have existed in a Elseworld earth although I believe that was way before the term was being used. Later he was referenced as being a real character in the DCU. Now since at least Doomsday Clock he seems to be a fictional character again. While I realize he probably exists somewhere in the Omniverse do we know if he was a real person in the current continuity of Earth 0?

5 Likes

Well I know his movie is still playing in Stargirl.

5 Likes

I want to do a compare-and-contrast paper, discussing the work of the artist working the on the Dark Knight and comparing their work to the traditional Batman comic book art and narrative. However I am having trouble finding which issues are best to use to compare both works. So my question is: What are some issues I should use to compare the Dark Knight and the Batman?

6 Likes

As we’ve seen as early as “Flash of Two Worlds,” which established the existence of the multiverse, and as a recurring theme in Grant Morrison’s The Multiversity, what exists as fiction in one universe is often the reality in a neighboring one. This is to say that Nathaniel Dusk is a fictional character as far as we know on Earth-0, but may be a real one elsewhere.

4 Likes