ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

In-universe, everyone has their own opinions as well. Officially, there is no designation for a “domestic terrorist.” By law enforcement, she’d be considered a criminal. But so would Batman.

5 Likes

Earth-2 Superman can also fly! He wasn’t able to at first, but he gained the ability to fly before the Silver Age kicked in.

7 Likes

I have always been a criminal Mr. City.

7 Likes

Hello @HubCityQuestion :0_the_question_jlu:,
It’s your friendly neighborhood Reaganfan78, with The Adventures of Superman turning 70 next month, I have a few questions for you. :grinning:

1. Has Inspector Henderson ever appeared in a comic book? He seem like a great character on the series.

2. In your own opinion, which episode do you think was the best episode ever made?

Well that’s it for now, tomorrow I’m going to watch the show on my dvd and write a review on each episodes. :grinning:

:superman_fan_club:

5 Likes

Inspector Henderson actually first debuted in the Adventures of Superman radio program in 1940! From there, he made the jump to TV, and would eventually find a role in Metropolis in the comics in 1972, with Action Comics #442.

Since his comic debut as Superman’s police liaison, just as he was on the radio and television, Henderson has become more closely associated with Black Lightning in recent decades, as Jefferson Pierce’s own police contact and ally in taking down the criminal gang The 100. Superman, in turn, has come to rely more closely on police figures such as Dan Turpin and Maggie Sawyer in dealing with the Metropolis Police Department. Today, you’re more likely to find Inspector Henderson in a Black Lightning story than a Superman story.

I haven’t seen every Adventures of Superman episode, but my personal favorite is Season 6 thriller “The Mysterious Cube,” where a criminal locks himself in an impenetrable box until he can be declared legally dead. It’s the one where Superman infamously learns how to walk through walls, in much the same way The Flash does by vibrating his molecules.

5 Likes

Got an early period Superman question.

I heard that originally instead of being powered by the yellow sun the Kryptonians were “A race of Supermen.” Due to the acts of dictators in World War 2 this was changed, but the first episode of the 1951 show still called them “A race of supermen.”

When was the yellow sun power source first established and made the definitive source?

6 Likes

It was in 1959, Action Comics #262! The change was actually implemented to explain why Supergirl has Superman’s powers when she technically grew up on the broken-off chunk of Krypton which included Argo, as opposed to the planet itself.

8 Likes

Thanks for the info.

4 Likes

Summer’s winding down as we hit this Labor Day weekend. That, and all this talk from the President about inflation and job growth, got me thinking about the day to day jobs held by DC heroes, when not out saving the world, that is.

Guy Gardner for instance, once ran Warriors, a bar and eatery. Diana Prince once sold tacos and ran a boutique. Hal Jordan may hold the record for freelance occupations. He was a toy salesman, insurance adjuster, hauled freight and had an air taxi business. Of course, all of that was pre-Rebirth. Never mind everything else that’s followed. And, as I’ve long since lost track of who does what, anymore, I’m curious to know (when you have time of course), what jobs and/or occupations “pay the bills” and put food on the table, for our spandex wearing, middle class tax payers? Have fun! :grinning:

Stay safe, be well.

7 Likes

A follow-up to wrightline1.42741. We know that Bruce Wayne funds, or funded before he lost his money, Batman Inc. and at least partially the Justice league. At one time we know Mr. Jupiter financed the Teen Titans. Has there ever been a definitive answer how superheroes in the DCU manage to afford all the high tech paraphernalia they use in their career or maintain the upkeep on their secret headquarters? Is it all the generosity of donors; government grants; benign aliens?

5 Likes

Great follow-up! Really getting down into the financial weeds of the “long green” garden! :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you.

4 Likes

This should be an easy one for you (and probably only you). Are Question’s orange socks only in Justice League Unlimited or also in the comics?

5 Likes

A few occupations to note:
(so many) - police and detectives
Black Canary - owned and operated a flower shop
Hawkman and Hawkgirl - museum operators
Vigilante - Singing cowboy
Wildcat - boxer
Captain Marvel - radio news
Superman - TV news
Batgirl - Member of the US House of Representatives

5 Likes

Yeah, I knew (or remembered all that) except for the political office held by Barbara Gordan. An Independent representative, no doubt. I should have been clearer in my query. I apologize for that. I meant to ask specifically about their jobs after the DCU Rebirth. How much of the past was retained, and how much jettisoned, for something new. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Why was there a Wayne building in Metropolis during the Black Zero Event?

4 Likes

Because I love ordering buildings.

6 Likes

Wonder Woman has several Dr. Villains in her rogues gallery (Psycho, Poison, Cyber, and Cheetah is a doctor without using it in her title). Was there a thematic reason for this?

4 Likes

Hello @HubCityQuestion :0_the_question_jlu:,
It’s your friendly neighborhood Reaganfan78, with Batman The Animated Series turning 30 today, I have a few fun questions to ask you, here goes…

1. Which episode Of Batman The Animated Series is your favorite?
  2. What’s your favorite issue of The Batman Adventures?
  3. If you could hang out with any characters from Batman The Animated Series, who would it be?

Thankyou so much as always for your time. :smiley:

:batman:

3 Likes

Who was in the pod in General Zod’s ship in Zack Snyder’s JL?

5 Likes