ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Oh, when i saw the post about birthdays I just had to see who was on mine! It’s Chuck Taine (Bouncing Boy). Which is April 5th. Could be worse I guess. Now i need to go check out some Legion Of Super Heroes stories since he shares my birthday. Even though technically his hasn’t happened yet. Took it one step further and checked my Anniversary. Ive had 34 of them so thought it was worth checking too. April 23rd says Barry Allen becomes the Flash which is cool but it also says something about October 23rd so I don’t know?.?. Thanks for posting the calendar HubCity Exclamation.

5 Likes

I believe the only answer for that comes from the movie’s novelization, which makes a passing mention that he’s the only “inmate” left after the Dent Act basically kills the prospect of an insanity plea in Gotham, if he hasn’t escaped yet.

6 Likes

Ahhhh

4 Likes

Sorry RF, Penguin sits out the Secret Society of Super-Villains. However, in this series you can expect to see:

• Captain Boomerang
• Captain Cold
• Copperhead
• Gorilla Grodd
• Mirror Master
• Shadow Thief
• Sinestro
• Star Sapphire
• Wizard
• Hi-Jack
• Lex Luthor
• Captain Stingaree
• Matter Master
• Felix Faust
• Trickster
• Bizarro
• Poison Ivy
• Angle Man
• Floronic Man
• Blockbuster
• Reverse Flash
• Silver Ghost
• Killer Moth
• Quakemaster
• The Sizematic Twins
• Cavalier
• Chronos
• The Crime Syndicate of America
• Darkseid
• And even a few heroes, which I’ll leave a surprise!

6 Likes

Thankyou so much @HubCityQuestion, by the way I was reading The Question (2005) comic, I love how it begins with us reader looking through the eyes of the Question. :grinning:

4 Likes

So hold on. They’ll include killer moth. Killer Moth. But not penguin

3 Likes

At the same time, Penguin was appearing in supervillain teams in both JLA and Super Friends.

4 Likes

True. I kinda forgot about that

2 Likes

Was it confirmed that Jason Todd was murdered by the Joker in the Young Justice universe? Ik Jason’s death is pretty brutal for the series, but the episodes started getting more serious later on with a TV-14 rating.

Also, what happened to Deadshot by the time The Suicide Squad takes place in the DCEU? He was the leader of Task Force X afterall in the 1st movie.

3 Likes

It has not been confirmed that Joker was involved at all in Jason’s death on Weisman and Vietti’s Earth-16. In fact, Weisman has gone out of his way not to specify any details about Jason’s death. It’s perhaps a story they plan on exploring more thoroughly at a later point.

This too has not been addressed, for production reasons. Idris Elba was cast in The Suicide Squad because Will Smith was unavailable to return as Deadshot, and the feeling at the studio was to keep the character open in case he wanted to return to the role someday. Maybe he had a different assignment at the time, or maybe he earned his freedom through missions with the team. We likely won’t know unless Smith returns or WB chooses to close the door on his character.

7 Likes

Gotchu, thanx

3 Likes

Thanks for the info.

2 Likes

Okay, I’m going to ask the question that I was scared to ask earlier. Spoilered because I’m nervous. Technically speaking, would Poison Ivy be considered a domestic terrorist? I’m remembering the scene in the Harley Quinn show where she self-identifies as an ecoterrorist and wondering about some of the comic actions, if everything really is canon, based on Death Metal. My apologies for being annoying.

5 Likes

You’re not being annoying at all. Like I said, there are no stupid questions.

The definition of “terrorism,” let alone “domestic terrorism,” is an extremely politically charged point of contention. There is no universally agreed upon interpretation of the term, and it really depends where you stand on any particular issue. As is often said, one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter. I don’t believe Poison Ivy would typically call herself a terrorist. (Remember, Harley Quinn is a comedy show. Take anything the characters say about themselves there in that spirit.) But there are certainly others who would. It all depends on your perspective.

As for the Death Metal effect, I think there’s some misunderstanding here. The canonical awakening of the characters there isn’t subject to every version of themselves throughout the multiverse and various adaptations, but their own prior continuities. It is meant to bring Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, Post-Crisis, Post-Flashpoint, and Rebirth interpretations of a character into alignment. It doesn’t mean, for instance, that they’re aware of themselves in DCeased or Injustice. It’s about bringing together all the “main line” versions of a character’s history.

7 Likes

By definition Superman is more powerful than a locomotive. If a locomotive becomes even stronger than Superman does that mean Superman will become even more powerful to match this?

5 Likes

:exploding_head:

3 Likes

Hey HQC!

Recently, I’ve started watching a bunch of superhero serials from the '40s and '50s. I’ve noticed that women in Republic Picture’s serials are usually more independent, whereas, in Columbia Picture’s serials, women are usually more dependent on men. I’m not sure if there is an answer to this, but is there a reason why women are portrayed so differently in different companies? Is it just a coincidence?

4 Likes

Not necessarily. The language around Superman changes all the time. For instance, the addition, and then removal, of “The American Way” from his mission for “Truth and Justice.” Or the addition of powers, such as flight, which make “leaping a tall building in a single bound” obsolete.

If, hypothetically, locomotives became more powerful than Superman, then I can only speculate DC would choose to increase his power, if only to keep Superman relevant in a world where simple machines can do what he does. But one doesn’t have to follow the other.

8 Likes

Does earth 2 Superman still leap over tall buildings in a single bound or does he also just fly everywhere?

4 Likes

Thank you for your kind response. As for a small follow-up, what would she be considered as in-universe?

4 Likes