ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

And that my friend, when DC decided to turn the Corp into the “Lucky Charms” of the DCU, I decided to bail. That Silver Age you spoke of is where my heart and soul still reside. So many of the creative changes, for whatever reason, have failed to hit home with me. So, I’ve retired to Mogo. There, with his blessing I am living happily and comfortable, with a ringside seat to the various goings on in the DCU. And thanks to you sir, for keeping much of a fuzzy picture, in focus! :slightly_smiling_face:

Stay safe, be well.

5 Likes

Does Superman know any martial arts or does he just let his super strength do the work?

5 Likes

This will probably take you 5 seconds.

Can The Question eat and drink with his mask on?

5 Likes

That’s a good question, I’ll be interesting to see the answer, though this panel especially panel 2 might provide a hint.

6 Likes

We have never seen The Question eat or drink through his mask, but for reasons such as the panel Rex posted I believe he could strain liquid through it if he really needed to.

7 Likes

Is there a DC universe in which The Question is not called The Question but The Answer?

5 Likes

There is a character named The Answer who was only ever featured as a profile page in an issue of Batman Villains Secret Files, but we’ve yet to specifically see an alternate universe Question go by this name in a published DC comic.

8 Likes

you my good sir are good thanks :smile:

6 Likes

Questions 3 -

Why did the Hal Jordan/Spectre still wear a mask? Seems a little silly, doesn’t it?
Why did the original Capt. Marvel acquire courage from Achilles, and not his famed invulnerability? That always seemed odd to me.
Why did we have to wait almost 80 yrs for Shazam’s power of Zeus, to be revealed as his thunderbolts?

For all this time, that Zeus power “thing” went undefined. Serving as a “catchall” for whatever Captain Marvel needed to accomplish his goals. Imagine how much that could’ve added to Fawcett’s legal defense against National back then.

" Yes it’s true your Honor, there are similarities between the two characters. But ours is a child, who magically transforms into an adult. Moreover, he can control and throw lightning! Superman doesn’t do any of that! "

Still, when your object is to sell comics, and not waste money on court battles, it probably wouldn’t have mattered much anyway. Although Fawcett won the initial battle, they eventually, lost the war. So, I guess that’s just something else we can thank Hollywood for. We got the Bat-cave, a skinny Alfred, the “el” family crest, and now the thunderbolts! Yay! Can’t wait to see what else becomes “canon” in the future.

Stay safe, be well.

5 Likes

Which character(s) has had the most different mantles? This question was inspired by Stephanie Brown, who has been Spoiler, Robin, and Batgirl. Has any character had more than three mantles?

5 Likes

Carrie had 4 so yes.

3 Likes

11 Likes

I keep forgetting to be specific with my questions…

8 Likes

Your Dial-H response to @KookieSuperApe really set off my bells and whistles on that one. Of all the series out there, over the years, Dial-H was always the one that most resembled the fanzines of the 60s. Often created from fan submissions, just like Supergirl’s many costumes of that time. And while a lot of our most talented professionals came out of that era (Roy Thomas, John Byrne, Marv Wolfman, Jerry Ordway and Jim Shooter to name just a few), lots more were indeed, the life’s blood of super-hero fandom. I’d be remiss in not mentioning some of those, whose works put a smile on my young face back then. Biljo White, Ronn Foss, Buddy Saunders, Grass Green and so many others. Thank you all, for showing this “kid” that he was not alone in his love of comics. Contact through published comments in the letter pages, allowed fandom to grow by leaps and bounds. And often, made for lasting friendships. But again, I digress.

Your House of Mystery cover, that introduced the Dial-H feature (in issue#156), couldn’t help but make me wonder about all those weird heroes, from all those many series, and just where they all came from. Earth One, Prime and New Earth are all said to be home to Robbie Reed. But the “heroes” themselves, who knows? I never really followed the series much, so if that question was ever answered, I missed it. I do remember you did a pretty extensive article on the Dial-H heroes awhile back. But I don’t think their origins ever got covered. Anyway, just curious. :slightly_smiling_face:

Stay safe, be well.

3 Likes

I don’t know if that question was ever answered either but that’s what Hub is for. I do remember that one of the heroes Robbie dialed into was Plasticman because the writer liked him and had apparently just discovered that DC might have the rights. That of course opened the possibility that some or all of the heroes the H-Dial called up were real heroes from elsewhere in the multiverse. Which also raises the question: was this Plasticmans’ first appearance since the Quality buyout by DC?

4 Likes

In China Mieville’s DIAL H, it’s briefly touched upon that the personae and abilities the H-Dialers borrow come from an extant hero somewhere in the multiverse, who is left powerless while their abilities are borrowed. But we haven’t gotten to see a lot of stories to that effect outside a couple issues of that series.

5 Likes

Yes it was! Plastic Man’s first appearance in a DC comic book was in House of Mystery #160, in May of 1966, as one of the heroes dialed by Robby Reed. Only months later, in October 1966, Plas himself would debut as a DC hero in Plastic Man #1.

7 Likes

Hmmm, smells like the makings of a brand new Dial-H series, to me. And after all, isn’t that why the Omniverse was created? To allow creative writers to sow their seeds in the fertile grounds of unexplored territory? To boldly go where no … sorry, sorry. Put the phasers away guys. Just kidding! :smiley:

3 Likes

Not having any real knowledge of Dial H before now, I kind of want a story where he steals someone’s powers and in return that person’s life gets endangered.

5 Likes

Then you’ll want to read this!

8 Likes