ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Superman’s first “retinkering” is between Action Comics #1 and Superman #1.

In Action Comics #1 the planet Krypton isn’t named and baby Kal-L is found by a passing motorist who is not named. The Kents are not mentioned in the origin stories in the Fleischer cartoons or the Superman radio show. Jor-L and Lara debut in the newspaper strip.

With more room in Superman #1, Krypton is named and the Kents appear. They pass away and Clark starts his career as Superman.

Here’s the funny thing about Superboy. More Fun #101 comes out in 1945. For Superman’s tenth anniversary in 1948, the origin was retold in Superman #53. Written by Bill Finger, this story never mentions Superboy. That had to wait until Action Comics #158 in 1951.

6 Likes

Hmmmm, all true. Over a short period of time, the origin was being established. And Superboy’s appearance is still the first real tinkering with what had come before. So, we’re good on that. Nice job of research there CY, as usual.

P.S. - For those not yet aware, Neal Adams has passed. A thread exists elsewhere on this site. Stop in, and pay your respects.

3 Likes

Would that also mark the first official figures of Jay and Starman?

1 Like

That’s correct — for the Ted Knight version of Starman, at least. A Jack Knight Starman was released by DC Direct the prior year, in 1999.

4 Likes

Was just watching another episode of Batman: Brave & the Bold. This one titled “Chill of the Night.” Essentially an animated retelling of the final confrontation between an adult Bruce Wayne, and the man who orphaned him, Joe Chill. Only, in keeping with the “team-up” format of the series, we have the Spectre and Phantom Stranger watching the drama play out. Surprisingly, if you removed them from the story, this could easily have been an episode of Batman: the Animated Adventures, it’s that good.

Also makes you wonder what might’ve happened if Chill hadn’t fled, and been done in by his criminal cohorts. Would Batman have taken him in, for the Wayne murders? Of course. Then testified against him in court. Revealing his true identity in the process? Then what? Kinda’ makes ya wonder, doesn’t it. Like how the Dark Knight manages to testify in court, when called to the stand by the state, or defense counsel.

" Raise your right hand, and state your name, for the record."
" Batman "
" I’m sorry sir, the court cannot accept some non de plume or pseudonym, as this is a
criminal trial. Your Honor? "
" I’m afraid the bailiff is correct, Batman. We must have your real name."

Holy predicaments Bat-fans. Of course, as the only living witness to the crime, Bruce Wayne must step forward to I.D. his parents killer. Will he, can he, how? Tune in tomorrow night, same Bat-time, same Bat-channel. As the Caped Crusader faces his greatest challenge yet. The Criminal Justice System!

Any CBG, Bob Ingersoll wannabes out there (look him up, folks), care to help out our Mantled Manhunter? Would love to hear from you! :smiley:

Stay safe, be well. .

3 Likes

What was the first DC book to be drawn digitally?

5 Likes

Lois Lane: enemy of the People re-reading

HELP! I have a couple of questions!!!

I absolutely LOVE this story. But it leaves me with some QUESTIONS:

First Question (please help my fellow Superman nerds
What is happening here? What happened in space that Lois can’t tell Clark? Clark obviously knows the explanation she gave in Bendis’ story isn’t true…anyone? Does it have to do with the Convergence? But then why does she feel she needs to protect Clark from it?

Second Question
When did Lois date Lex Luthor in continuity? This was also referred to in Bendis’ story in a comment by the mayor…Did I miss something?

Last Question
How did Lois come to know she was from a “different world” via the Convergence (I think that is what they are referring to)? And how did she know Sister Clarice and Renee were also experiencing that same feeling of “double life”…It was kind of implied that Lois tracked Renee and Clarice down because she knew somehow that they were going through the same things. Renee also makes an observation elsewhere that she believes Lois is from another world…are they talking about Convergence? Or did Lois get replaced again when she was in space? Help!!!

3 Likes

I… don’t remember anymore, LOL. It’s somewhere in Bendis’s Superman or Action Comics!

In most Post-Crisis versions of Lois’s early history, Lex Luthor tried to court Lois before Superman showed up. Here, the hosts of “The Perspective” are meant to be exaggerating that one-sided infatuation. After all, one of the themes of this series is the lies, mistruths, and exaggerations spread by unscrupulous media.

This is all tied back to DC Universe: Rebirth #1, where 10 “missing years” from the timeline are restored to the universe, and people begin awakening to their past lives and selves. This very series, in fact, ends with the opening of a clinic for people who are dealing with this realization of who they were in prior realities.

3 Likes

The conversation is in response to Bendis books when Lois claims she came back because space was too crazy and she couldn’t handle it. Clark didn’t buy it and wants the real reason…Alas…we may never know…I tried to email Rucka, lol, but he never responded… THANKS FOR YOUR QUICK REPLY!!

3 Likes

Yeah, I suspected this might have been a dropped plot line but didn’t want to say for sure. Bendis was keeping a lot of plates spinning and couldn’t get to everything he wanted to do. If I had to guess, I would say it was meant to be that Jon had decided to stay in space for a while, and Lois didn’t want Clark to think it was because of something he failed at as a father. But that’s conjecture.

4 Likes

Thanks…I had not looked at it from that angle…and she did try to reassure Clark about just that in Bendis book(s)…

3 Likes

So in history class, I’m researching the rise of comics during WWII. I’ve found a lot on comics in America, but did other countries use comics during WWII too? I know it’s not exactly DC, but I thought maybe you’d still know, or that DC might’ve sent comics to foreign troops like they did with American troops?

Thanks so much HCQ!

3 Likes

The United Kingdom has a long history of “weeklies” weekly serialized stories appearing in comics form. Some of them even before American comic books. I believe i remember reading about a Captain Boomerang comic in Australia during the war. Because of a paper shortage during the war, the military needed reams of it so there wasn’t as much to print comics. As a result Canada couldn’t import comics from their neighbor to the south so they started their own comic book industry with such characters as Nelvana, Thunderfist and the original Commander Steel

5 Likes

Nice try, Jurisdiction. But I’m not here to do your homework assignments for you. However, I’d be interested in reading whatever your own research turns up!

8 Likes

Worth a shot lol

Thanks anyways @HubCityQuestion. I’ll be sure to send you a copy of my project when it’s done.

Edit: I just realized that in playing along with the doing my homework joke, I’ve made it sound like my intention was genuinely to get you to do my homework. Just some clarification: I was searching for foreign comics from WWII for about 3 hours before asking HCQ and that was just to make sure they existed lol. Sorry if I made it seem like I was pushing my work on someone else.

5 Likes

I’ve got a question that’s been bugging me for years. I don’t know why I’m just getting around to it now, but better late than never. I’ve researched it as best I can. But I’m still coming up snake-eyes! Long before the time of Kyle Rayner, alien invasions of the planet Rann were a dime-a-dozen. So, why was the Green Lantern of space sector 2682 (of which Rann is a part of, yes?) never aware of any of that?

Surly he and the Guardians had some knowledge of what was a planetary threat there, as well as to other endangered, surrounding, populated planets. Would they really have trusted an unknown Earthman named Strange (who popped in, every now an then) to deal with these things? Especially when they had an unofficial police presence (with a power-ring) for just these kinds of threats. I don’t think so.

So, why did Adam Strange and the GL of that space sector never cross paths in defense of planet Rann? Mystery in Space #75, and later JLA team-ups, not withstanding. Did DC at any time provide an explanation for this? And just one more thing if I may (with apologies to Insp. Columbo). How is it that Rann (which is in the Alpha Centauri star system, still very much in the Milky Way Galaxy), is in another space sector entirely, and not part of 2814? There’s 132 space sectors that separate the two. Can somebody explain that to me, please. Or were writers just pulling things out of their a… hats, when assigning Lanterns and planets to those sectors? If there’s an answer to my query out there somewhere, I sure missed it. I’m hoping that you won’t. Thanks Q.

Stay safe, be well.

4 Likes

In Green Lantern Corps: Recharge (2006), as the Green Lantern Corps begins to rebuild its ranks after the return of Hal Jordan, two Green Lanterns are recruited from Rann and Thanagar, in their shared sector 2682: Vath Sarn, and Isamot Kol. From then on, Sarn and Kol responded to any threats within that vicinity (and after Isamot Kol’s death, the Thanagarian Rayn Kral).

Prior to the destruction of the Corps in “Emerald Twilight” (1994)… I don’t have a good answer for you. There is no record of any active Green Lantern within that sector prior to the post-Recharge appointments.

As for your question about Rann’s location, I’m not sure I understand it. What is the problem with Rann’s distance from Earth? Adam Strange is only there due to the Zeta Beam teleportation effect, which has an intergalactic range.

7 Likes

Let me try to clarify this, as I see it. From what we know, there are millions of Galaxies in the known universe. And at present, broken down into some 3600 sectors of space. Making hundreds of thousands (at the very least) of galaxies in each sector. So (as I said), Alpha Centauri is in the Milky Way Galaxy. Said galaxy is front and center of Sector 2814 (as far as the Green Lanterns of Earth are concerned). So why isn’t Rann included in it?

2 Likes

Ah, I see the problem here. While it’s true that Rann was originally placed in the Silver Age in the Alpha Centauri system, its subsequent Post-Crisis appearances have placed it significantly farther – and that’s where the Sector 2682 designation started. As I’ve said, no Green Lantern involvement around Rann was ever addressed prior to Green Lantern Corps: Recharge.

6 Likes

Hmm. Actually, ignore that last post about Vega. The Vega System thing was a temporary affair involving planetary displacement. As you can probably tell, cosmic lore isn’t my strongest suit. But when you ask questions I don’t know the answers to myself, I appreciate the opportunity to learn along with you in my search for answers.

9 Likes