ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

It’s been left ambiguous.

6 Likes

The last episode of Sons of Superman gave me this odd question-

Can Superman get drunk?

5 Likes

Supergirl can at least in the new series if she is offworld. But I wonder if Kryptonian Alcohol would effect Supes?

3 Likes

Hello @HubCityQuestion,
Hope you’re having a great new year. It’s been a while since I posted to you. I have a weird conspiracy that’s been on my mind for months that I even thought I’d make a topic out of this, so I’ll give this to you, since you’re a pro and expert at this. :grinning:
So Here goes…
I really think that Ra’s Al Ghoul’s look and his appearance was based on a professional well respected actor Han Conried.

Conried was well known for playing Captain Hook in disney Peter Pan, and have guest star on some shows like I Love Lucy.
Anytime I see him and hear his voice, he really sounded like Ra’s Al Ghoul. Had the character existed during the 1966 Batman, he would’ve done a great job.
David Warner even almost sounded like him in Batman The Animated Series.
I can’t wait to hear your opinion on this, I’m probably mostly wrong, was Dennis O’Neil had Conried on his mind when creating Ra’s Al Ghoul? Thankyou. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

First of all, let us not forget that Ra’s al Ghul wasn’t just a creation of Denny O’Neil’s – his character design came from Denny’s collaborator, Neal Adams.

By most accounts, Denny had the classic stock Asian villain Fu Manchu in mind when he was creating Ra’s al Ghul. But when drawing him, Neal Adams took inspiration from a different actor: namely, James Lanphier, as he appeared in the 1963 film The Pink Panther.

5 Likes

Well it was just a thought, Thankyou.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hello @HubCityQuestion,
I knew there was something else I wanted to tell you, remember a year ago how I ask why Alexander Knox and Max Shreck wasn’t in a comic because one of them (Knox) name after the actor?
Well few weeks ago I was watching The Andy Griffith show, when the episode ended, the name of a writer for an episode was…:drum:…Harvey Bullock! :grinning:
I was looking at Wikipedia and it said that our favorite DC Detective Harvey Bullock was a tribute to the TV writer! I sure would like to know if Bullock was ever a fan of Harvey Bullock. I know I am, how can you not like Harvey Bullock? :grinning:

5 Likes

Harvey Bullock was a pretty prolific TV writer in the mid-20th century, contributing not just to The Andy Griffith Show, but also Hogan’s Heroes, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Top Cat, The Love Boat, and many others. The comic book character’s name, however, is probably a coincidence. A “Lieutenant Bullock” first appeared in a few panels of Detective Comics #441 in 1974 by Archie Goodwin and Howard Chaykin, but he didn’t appear again and wasn’t even given a first name until Batman #361 in 1983 by Doug Moench and Don Newton. According to Moench, the character was meant to be a tribute to jazz guitarist Hiram Bullock. Both times, Bullock was meant to be a minor character to be used as a small plot contrivance, but Moench enjoyed using him so much that he began to appear in more and more stories set in Gotham, and so he stands today. But there’s no evidence that the real world Harvey or Hiram, both now deceased, were ever aware of their comic book counterpart.

6 Likes

I saw that too and just thought it was a cool detail.

3 Likes

Don’t forget, Alan is gay in Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Crisis on Infinite Earths, which, being a reflection of the “true” multiverse, means he’s almost certainly been gay since at least the Crisis, if not always. As Tempus himself put it: “The darkness corrupts - but does it lie?”

2 Likes

Wait, really? Which Wonder Woman?

2 Likes

Hey HCQ,
When a fictional character has been around since 1939, it’s inevitable that they’ll have died one or fifty-two times since then. So my question is, what was the first DC story to depict a world where Bruce Wayne/Batman was dead?
Thanks!

2 Likes

Wonder Woman and Supergirl in Dark Knights of Steel

2 Likes

Oh, I figured it was in main continuity if people were making such a big deal out of it. I only asked because I think Diana and Steve are still together on Prime Earth. I personally think it’s a bigger deal for Supergirl, since this isn’t the first time for any Wonder Woman throughout the omniverse, but it is for her. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: I think Tom Taylor thought he was in the clear because he thought Kara and Lena would be together in the end of the Supergirl TV series. #ReleaseTheSuperCorpCut! (Spoiler: Supergirl TV series)

2 Likes

Especially since he’d definitely already fulfilled his quota that year for existing Superman Family characters coming out.

2 Likes

Well, here’s my list of LGBTQ+ characters at DC (I don’t have a list of appearances though): Who Are All the LGBT+/Queer Characters at DC? - #4 by drewzirocks.3500

4 Likes

The first story I could find to depict the death of Batman is 1965’s World’s Finest #153, “The Clash of the Cape and Cowl,” by Edmond Hamilton and Curt Swan. In this Imaginary Story, Batman is conned into fighting Superman by Lex Luthor. Ultimately, Batman realizes Luthor’s deception, and he dies while protecting Superman from the Kryptonite weaponry of his greatest foe. But that doesn’t present much of a “world without Batman,” since the story ends shortly after he dies.

The next Imaginary Story to feature Batman’s death is 1969’s World’s Finest #184, “Robin’s Revenge,” by Cary Bates and Curt Swan. Here, a villain known as The Automator kills Batman, a funeral is held for the hero, and Robin must find a way to go on without him. By the end of the story, Batman is revealed to have survived, but it still does present a world without Batman while he’s believed to be dead.

I think the most solid answer to your question, though, is 1979’s Adventure Comics #462, “Only Legends Live Forever,” by Paul Levitz and Joe Staton. Set on the Pre-Crisis Earth-Two, this story features an older Batman pulled out of retirement one last time to fight a petty criminal named Bill Jensen, who was given supernatural powers by an evil sorcerer called the Soul Thief. The Batman of Earth-Two finally died in his fight with Jensen atop Gotham Towers. From then on, every comic set on Earth-Two until Crisis on Infinite Earths presented a world without a Batman.

9 Likes

Detective Comics #347 could be another candidate for that list. “The Strange Death of Batman” by Gardner Fox and Carmine Infantino. Another Imaginary Story and it was released just two months after World’s Finest #153. It’s short, and essentially an alternate ending rather than a full-fledged story in and of itself, but we do get to see some of the post-death world, including the Justice League’s reaction and Robin taking his revenge.

7 Likes

Hello @HubCityQuestion,
I’ve read a bit of Detective Comics #441, nice to see Detective (Harvey) Bullock making his first debut, I was suprise to see that Batman already know him without a introduction.
I really like how the character of Bullock was already being developed, not liking the bat one bit.
Over the years has Bullock and Batman ever became good friends like Batman is with Gordon? Thankyou. :grinning:

4 Likes

Bullock’s never really trusted Batman, and that’s part of what makes that character so interesting. If he ever warmed up to Bats like Gordon has, then he’d just be a lesser Gordon. It’s that conflict that keeps the dynamic fresh.

7 Likes