ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

By the way, the list of the Top 10 female characters in comics looks like this –

DC Only:

1. Wonder Woman
  2. Lois Lane
  3. Barbara Gordon
  4. Supergirl
  5. Black Canary
  6. Catwoman
  7. Harley Quinn
  8. Donna Troy
  9. Starfire
  10. Hawkgirl

All Comics:

1. Storm
  2. Wonder Woman
  3. Jean Grey
  4. Veronica Lodge
  5. Betty Cooper
  6. Rogue
  7. Kitty Pryde
  8. Invisible Woman
  9. Emma Frost
  10. Lois Lane
7 Likes

Wow, the X-Woman rule the roost, and even with a 20 year head start Diana, couldn’t keep up. I actually though the Archie Girls would’ve topped that list.

3 Likes

Are Huey, Dewey and Louie actually in that order, or are they just tied? Because that’s an incredible coincidence!

5 Likes

They actually are in that order! There have been a few stories over the years where they do not all appear together, but they’re still very close together because they typically do. When a rare story only calls for one nephew, it’s usually Huey. When an even rarer story only calls for two nephews, it’s usually Huey and Dewey. Hence the order, and their close proximity.

9 Likes

That must have taken some digging to come up with all that, so count me impressed

You have any doubts about the figures for the ducks and Archie characters? The art style on these comics is so impervious to change that their editors have always had the ability to slide in a 20-year old reprint, with no one being the wiser. With the comparative lack of data on Archie writers/artists, seems like keeping their stories straight would be more confusing. Is the record-keeping on Betty/Veronica as reliable as that for DC/Marvel?

Also, Betty is the relatable one - seems like she should have the higher story count. I’d hate to see that greedy Veronica benefit at poor, honest Betty’s expense.

3 Likes

Could a Green Lantern ring ever be able to grant itself the power of a Green Lantern?

4 Likes

I gotta say…

I really expected Renee Montoya on this list, considering the fact you like The Question so much.

3 Likes

In JLTAS, all the characters call The Question a conspiracy theorist. Is he actually a conspiracy theorist, or was it just that version?

4 Likes

Hey, that’s not MY top ten. Simply the ten with the most appearances.

6 Likes

The conspiracy thing started in Justice League Unlimited, as Dwayne McDuffie’s homage to Rorschach, Alan Moore’s own take on The Question in Watchmen. Since then, small pieces of that personality type have made their way into comics, especially when appearing for cameos in titles other than his own. But while JLU remains influential, the “conspiracy theorist” element of The Question hasn’t been a dominant personality trait of his outside the show and its comic book tie-ins.

7 Likes

Ohhhh! That makes more sense lol

2 Likes

Cool! Now I’m not afraid of losing my mind, reading his comics lmfao

2 Likes

As we close out the year, @Numbuh1Nerd asked a great question about Darkseid and the Legion of the 30th century, a week or so back. @CaptainYesterday responded nicely to it (as he often does). The Great Darkness saga will be celebrating it’s 40th anniversary in 2022 (my, how time does fly). I can’t help but wonder, how much of that future storyline is still applicable, given the Legion’s convoluted history and reboots. And of course there’s been an awful lot of Darkseid material that’s come 'n gone since then, as well. Or has all that just been shuffled off to some alternate timeline, courtesy of Dr. Manhattan’s “alteration” of the DCU, in Rebirth? Just curious.

And finally, whatever happened to Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt? I know DC didn’t own the character outright, as opposed to everything else picked up from Charlton. Publishing rights now reside with one of DC’s competitors, I understand. But, during his time in the DCU, he was fully “integrated” into their world of super-heroes. Interacting with a Justice League Task Force (if I remember correctly). Was all that wiped away when Rebirth swept across the DC landscape?

Stay safe, be well,
and Happy New Year to all.

3 Likes

I’m afraid you’re a reality alteration behind the times, Wrightline. After the events of Dark Nights: Death Metal, the so-called “anti-crisis” made it so that every version of events has happened in the past, at least somewhere in the universe, despite any inherent contradictions. So the answer to any question of “did this thing still happen” is now, by default, yes. It’s just a matter of whether the writers choose to address it.

As for the future, well, that’s much more mutable. The current status quo for the Legion of Super-Heroes is much different than the one where they fought Darkseid decades ago. And yet, Darkseid is making moves to acquire The Great Darkness now in the modern era, as seen in the ongoing events of Infinite Frontier and its sequels.

And happy new year!

4 Likes

Recently while on another message board i learned that there was a character called Nora Blane who called herself the Ghostbreaker. Much like Terry Thirteen who debuted years later she appeared in several issues of the Ghost Patrol strip attempting to discredit the Ghost Patrol as being real spirits. That got me wondering have there been other Ghostbreakers?

5 Likes

Not in DC history, but certainly across other media. At the turn of the 20th century, “ghostbreaker” was a common phrase for someone who made a career or hobby out of discrediting supernatural claims. The American Comics Group, or ACG, had its own “Ghost-Breaker,” Douglas Drew, in its 1948 title Adventures into the Unknown. Some of the earliest horror films, too, were about “Ghostbreakers” who were proven wrong about the supernatural, one of which would star Bob Hope. (Who had his own DC title years later, so I suppose you could call him DC’s third Ghostbreaker.)

5 Likes

Yeah, looks like I’ll be starting out the new year behind the 8 Ball, once again. As an infrequent reader of DC material these days, but a long time collector from days past, I’m afraid it’s difficult for me to keep up with all the universe eliminating menaces the writers feel obligated to produce at an ever increasing pace. That, along with all these multi-issue (often multi-title) storylines, are simply to much for my poor wallet to bear. I guess that’s why they make trade paperbacks. For those of us interested enough to make the investment.

And that’s a large part of what drove me away from DC, as a regular customer. That, and all the reboots and upgrades that became more commonplace when New 52 ushered in a “new” reality of DC titles. Nowadays, with Aquaman “literally” being the Superman of the 7 seas, well, it’s just a little much for an old schooler like me. I grew up with 10 cent comics, rotary phones and the George Reeves and Adam West shows of the past. Not a world to reside in, of course, but a nice place to visit, when present day events become to painful and hard to bear.

But, I still try to keep up with what’s going on, via the web-site. And I still catch all the movies and follow the various series on the CW. They are unique to their various mediums, and subject to all kinds of trash talking, but still, quite enjoyable. To see the way the world of comics has exploded across all the mass communication outlets over the past 50+ years, is simply, quite astonishing. Culminating in many ways, with the Crisis on Infinite Earths big screen/little screen crossovers!

So yeah, some of my inquiries going forward may be a little “reality alteration, behind the times” every now and then. But I trust you’ll do your best to bring me up to speed, on current events, HCQ. Your style and delivery, as always, most appreciated. Thanks for listening good sir!

Stay safe, be well.

5 Likes

After seeing a lot of coverage yesterday, on the one year anniversary of the Jan 6th riot at the Capital building by “peaceful American protesters,” I again found myself knee deep in a very relatable comic. U.S. or Uncle Sam was a 2-issue Vertigo format mini-series from 1997. Reprinted in both TPB and a deluxe HC edition. Coincidentally, it will be having it’s 25th anniversary this year. Quite timely, I think.

Author/historian Steve Darnall and artist supreme Alex Ross produced an amazing mini-masterpiece that was critically acclaimed, at the time. I don’t know what spurred them on to tackle the subject of America’s inner turmoil, back then. But I’d love to see them return to the subject of America “at war with herself,” from the aftermath of Jan 6th. Again, through the eyes of it’s mythical conscience, Uncle Sam.

So, I’m just gonna put that out there. I don’t recall a big hue 'n cry for the original series back in ‘97. Nor would I anticipate one for a sequel nowadays. But I do firmly believe that that the issues they addressed back then, need to be front and center now, more than ever. Alright, that’s enough outta’ me. As Stan the Man used to say “Nuff Said.”

Well, 'til Hellboy meets Etrigan

Stay safe, be well.

4 Likes

It was left ambiguous if Jason Todd killed Felipe Garzonas or if he just fell to his death. Was this ever answered in canon?

5 Likes

In 1940, DC created something new in comics. The first of the super-hero team books, All-Star Comics #3. And the floodgates have been open ever since. In 1983, as a special insert in the Brave and the Bold (vol 1) #200, Batman & the Outsiders were introduced to the world. One of the things I found most ironic about them was, that Black Lightning and Metamorpho had both turned down membership in the Justice League. Yet somehow, Batman’s argument for teamwork back then, proved quite persuasive.

Now, almost 40 years later, like every other team wearing a DC brand, the Outsiders has undergone many changes in both make-up and leadership. My questions for you sir, are these. As of today, how many incarnations of the team have there been, since their inception? And, like Halo, Looker, Geo-Force and Katana, how many other “new characters” were likewise created to fill out those ever changing rosters? Your recent answer over in HWM is a partial response to this inquiry. Thanks!

4 Likes