ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

I do not believe so! I haven’t read every single DC comic ever written, so I can’t be 100% sure, but I can’t recall it coming up anywhere else. It was probably forgotten like many concepts from this era of The Flash, such as the “Mopee” incident of #167.

2 Likes

The less said about Mopee, the better. Pretty sure he was a side effect of a gas leak in the writers’ room.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:!!!

2 Likes

Ok, thank you.

1 Like

[Future State: Justice League SPOILERS!!!]

So, according to this: Bright or Bleak: Ranking the DC Universe's Possible Futures | DC and this: Comic Viewer, Future State: Justice League is set in 2040. But in the first issue, we see a cover of a Justice League comic dated “Jan '70”. What’s going on? Is this comic of Jo Mullein somehow from 1970? Or was this comic published on Jan 170th?

2 Likes

Ah, I see your confusion here. Yes, the story takes place in 2040, but this comic within a comic about the Justice League appears to have been written 30 years later. The very next page reveals it to be part of the collection of the aged mad scientist T.O. Morrow, who famously has the ability to look into and sometimes even retrieve objects from the future.

1 Like

Ahhhhh.

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

I know about the initial Looney Tunes crossover, the reprint, the two waves of crossover specials, the nods in The Looney Tunes Show, Back In Action, and the Duck Dodgers episodes. There’s probably more overlaps that I’m missing.

But what was the first official instance involving DC characters and Looney Tunes characters sharing the screen/page/etc?

2 Likes

It’s not exactly a crossover so much as a pastiche, but I think you’d have to go with the 1943 Looney Tunes parody of the Max Fleischer Superman shorts, “Super Rabbit.”

4 Likes

Thank you.

3 Likes

Hello @HubCityQuestion, :0_the_question_jlu:
Has Stargirl or Starman ever met Starro the star alien villian?

1 Like

Speaking of Stargirl, I’ve been researching the Shining Knight, in preparation for her 2nd season. I stumbled across another armored hero of that time period, the Silent Knight. His backstory is every bit as interesting as Sir Justin’s. Being a previous incarnation of Carter (Hawkman) Hall, as well as ancestored to Jonathan Kent, is saying a lot.

But while Brian Kent, a skilled knight battled evil in silence, he did it during the age of King Arthur, and his Knights of the Table Round. And all without impregnable armor, a magic sword or a " Winged Victory." Not having artwork by the late, great Frank Frazetta didn’t make his adventures any the less interesting or appealing, to lovers of Camelot.

But it did get me to wondering if the two master swordsmen had ever faced a common foe, together? Can’t find anything on a medieval team-up, but that doesn’t mean it never happened. And who better to answer that line of inquiry that the master sleuth himself. Hub City Question. Over to you, sir!

Stay safe and be well.

4 Likes

Recently reviewing All-Star Squadron i came across the part where the Guardians shield is practically indestructable. I thought i remembered where he actually “borrowed” the shield from a costume shop. Some coincidence he grabbed one so useful to his future profession. But that got me thinking. Was there ever a definitive origin for Guardians shield?

4 Likes

Now that I think about it, I’ve never heard what your favorite DC movie is. Now I’m curious what it would be.

2 Likes

My favorite DC movie is Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. It’s the greatest Batman story ever told, in any medium.

If you only count live action, then we have to go way down the list, since I’ve always believed DC works better in animation than with real actors. My favorite live action DC movie is the version of Superman: The Movie you can find in the menu options on early 00s DVDs that just plays the visuals without dialogue or sound effects under John Williams’ score.

If you think that’s cheating, and I have to choose a theatrically released live action movie, I have to say Batman Returns. It’s delightfully strange.

If it’s got to be something from the DCEU, um… can I say the trailer for Man of Steel? Probably not, right? In that case I’ll say Shazam. It wasn’t perfect but it has a lot of sentimental value for me. Shazam was the first comic I ever read, and there were some treats in there I felt like were made just for me.

The Suicide Squad looks pretty good though. I may have to update my rankings when I see it.

6 Likes

As if you needed any more proof that you were an intellectual.

3 Likes

When I say it is my 6th favorite Batman movie, and I get death glares I know it is a sacred cow.

3 Likes

Well now I gotta know what your other five are!

3 Likes
  1. The Dark Knight Returns Part 2.

2. Batman Returns

3. The Dark Knight Returns Part 1

4. Batman

5. Under the Red Hood

Return of the Joker (7)

3 Likes