ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Don’t know how I could top that Michigan J. Frog thing, so I won’t even try. So, on to something completely different.

Reference the Justice Society of old, I know the membership was kept interesting, due to behind the scenes decisions being made. Made by the powers that be, or that were, back then. The greatest shakeups, were back in '44 & '45. Dr. Fate and the Sandman would last appear in All Star Comics #21. Two issues later, young readers would see the last of the Spectre and Starman, in issue #23. The very next issue, #24, seemed to make up for that, by returning the Flash and Green Lantern to active duty. Along for the ride were Wildcat and Mr. Terrific, appearing for the first time. All American Comics and National Periodical Publications (responsible for the changes) would soon go on to become the foundational version of DC that we all know today.

My original query was going to be about the Spectre. Then I realized, it had to be a bigger question. Because he wasn’t the only one affected by those changes. No reason was ever given to readers, for why four active members just up and disappeared from their roster, that I know of. Sure, things were going on sales wise, with their individual features, resulting in replacements or changes to all humor. But JSA readers needed to know what happened to their heroes. Not having an HCQ to go to, they were just left scratching their heads.

So Q, has Roy Thomas, Gerry Conway, or anybody else ever addressed those questions before? I do hope so, as I’d love to hear that answer. Thanks!

Stay safe, be well.

4 Likes

Here’s a question: What DC (or DC imprint) title has had the highest number of issues, without the series ending, then being renumbered years later? Oh, or the title being changed, like the switch to Captain America’s Weird Tales or something. And without reboots, like a new first issue.

2 Likes

Does the Nth dimension in Strange Adventures #4 have anything to do with Nth Metal?

4 Likes

This is a very good question, with multiple answers depending on the absolute strictest definitions of your criteria.

World’s Finest Comics (1941-1986) ran for 322 issues. But its first issue was called World’s Best Comics, so that might technically count as a retitle. There have been other World’s Finest series since then, but none precisely called World’s Finest Comics.

Our Army at War (1952-1977) ran for 301 issues. However, there was a single Our Army at War oneshot which came out in 2010, so that may disqualify this series as well.

Hellblazer (1988-2013) is another potentially viable candidate, at 300 issues. There have been other John Constantine series since, but none precisely called “Hellblazer.” There’s been Constantine (2013-2015), Constantine: The Hellblazer (2015-2016), Constantine: Hellblazer (2020-2021), and even The Hellblazer (2016-2018), but no other title merely called Hellblazer. Whether the distinction of the “The” is enough to disqualify it from your criteria, however, is your call. Just in case it is, I’ll keep going down the list.

Once you disqualify World’s Finest Comics, Our Army at War, and Hellblazer, then the indisputable longest running, uncanceled, unrenamed, and unrebooted DC title would have to be… Looney Tunes. DC’s Looney Tunes comics have been consistently ongoing for 260 issues since 1994, and remain DC’s longest unrebooted running active title to date. By 2026, if still ongoing, it will have surpassed even the original run of World’s Finest Comics, and by then we can do away with all these caveats.

Unlikely. In mathematics, “Nth” is typically used as a placeholder value for an unknown quantity, and that’s the common reference point both concepts are calling back to.

4 Likes

Does The Emerald Eye have anything to do with Oa?

4 Likes

It does, actually! Ekron, to whom the eye belongs, was created by the Guardians as an early experiment in wielding the power of the green light of will. At some point, Ekron’s eye was extracted from him, and became the Emerald Empress’ signature weapon.

5 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Happy Birthday M. Soup!

3 Likes

Aside from Tom Taylor, what other DC creators (if any) have hailed from Australia?

1 Like

Bonzer question, mate. Let’s have a Captain’s Cook at the Aussie creators through DC history. I’ll sort 'em alphabetical-like, and include a notable credit or two for each one. Links to digital issues where applicable.

Jason Badower (Penciler, Joker/Harley: Criminal Sanity)
Andrew Constant (Writer, The Demon: Hell is Earth, Future State: Nightwing)
David DeVries* (Writer, Suicide Squad #44, Black Lightning (1995) #9-13)
Trevor Hutchinson (Cover Artist, The Omega Men)
Tristan Jones (Penciler, Mad Max: Fury Road - Furiosa)
Annette Kwok (Colorist, Joker/Harley: Criminal Sanity)
Glenn Lumsden (Cover Artist, Star Trek #34)
Shane McCarthy (Writer, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #185-189, Detective Comics #797-799 (backups) & 815-816)
Nicola Scott (Penciler, Birds of Prey, Earth 2, Future State: Nightwing, Secret Six, Teen Titans, Wonder Woman)
Alex Sollazzo (Colorist, Green Lanterns #18, 21, 25, 29, 33)
Jon Sommariva (Penciler, Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures)
Ben Templesmith (Penciler, Gotham By Midnight #1-5)
David Yardin (Penciler, Injustice: Gods Among Us fill-ins)

*Born in New Zealand, but grew up in Australia.

And then, of course, there’s Tom Taylor, with whose Aussie heritage you’re already familiar.

(Also worth mentioning: Ruby Rose, who played Kate Kane in Season 1 of The CW’s Batwoman.)

3 Likes

As I recall, it came to light some years back, that Batman Incorporated is a subsidiary of Wayne Enterprises. And that they provide for all of Batman’s tech hardware and computer needs. Expanding on all that, Batman Inc, went international I understand, about 10years ago. Now, hand selected by Bruce himself, B.I. sponsors and then trains other “vigilantes” from around the world. For me, this brings up all kinds of questions.

First, are they meant to be replacements for the Global Guardians, once led by Dr. Mist? The GG had a long and varied history once. Interacting with both JL and JLEurope at times. And as different countries have very different laws pertaining to “vigilantes” in their midst, what happens when somebody crosses the line? The GG operated under, and were responsible to the United Nations. Such is not the case with B.I. as a private company. If (or when) they (or their agents) break any laws, is WE likewise subject to investigation by Interpol for possible prosecution? Or, like Mission Impossible, does Batman, Inc get to “disavow any knowledge of their actions?”

Finally, sir what’s up with the GG these days? Before Rebirth, they’d been disbanded and killed off in various incarnations. With Fire and Ice joining the League, who’s still around in the new DCU?

Inquiring minds, sir. Inquiring minds…

Stay safe, be well

3 Likes

[DARK NIGHTS: DEATH METAL SPOILERS!!!]

Well, that means there’s even more. Secret Wars, Infinity, and LEGO Dimensions, to name but a few.

2 Likes

My query to you a week or so back, has prompted another. I know how DC prides itself on displaying a connected universe. Quite often bending over backwards to show relationships that otherwise might not exist. These are comics after all, where coincidence is just another name for " first cousin." So I’m wondering, what are the chances that wizard in training Tim Hunter, and Time Master Rip Hunter share some genealogy down the road. Or, has that already been answered? Whatta’ ya think, Q?

1 Like

I’ve looked into this before, and there doesn’t seem to be any connection between these two figures, especially since Tim Hunter is kept in his own corner of the Vertigo-Adjacent DC Universe.

In fact, as we learn in the second Booster Gold series, “Rip Hunter” isn’t even the time traveler’s real name. He was actually born (spoiler warning) Michael Jon Carter Jr, son of Booster Gold.

2 Likes

Interesting! I didn’t know that about " Rip." I hope this means that my earlier question about Booster will likewise be addressed, down the road?

2 Likes

What are Jonah Hex’s abilities/powers?

1 Like

Any insight this year, @HubCityQuestion? :thinking:

1 Like

I’m actually working on your Krypton question right now. It’s required me to double check every single appearance of Krypton in a comic, so it might be a while.

The truth is that the “rules” for time travel in any long form fiction, let alone the DC universe, are riddled with impossibilities and contradictions, and in the end we just have to consider each trip through time as having rules of its own.

2 Likes

Nothing new to report. Haven’t cleared my schedule to go through every appearance of Alfred Pennyworth.

2 Likes

Jonah Hex has no powers, but he is a great marksman, tracker, survivalist, and brawler, and is fluent in many Native American cultures and languages. It’s not what he can do that makes him interesting, really, but who he is.

3 Likes