ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Shiv first appeared in Stars and STRIPE #1, the series which provides much of the basis for the TV show.

3 Likes

Yeah, the biggest reason I say Karate Kid is that he can fight Superman with nothing but Karate and his momentum. By the way, who do you think is a better fighter between Cass and Shiva? The other day me and my dad were talking about who the top five best DC fighters were, and that was the biggest one we could not agree on, with me saying Shiva and my dad saying Cass.

Also my list was,

1. Val Amorr
  2. Lady Shiva
  3. Cassandra Cain
  4. Richard Dragon
  5. Bruce Wayne
2 Likes

That’s true about Karate Kid, but people often forget that Shiva did nearly the same thing — in Wonder Woman #175, she pulled the same maneuver on Supergirl.

Between Shiva and Cass, I believe that Shiva is the better all-around fighter, but Cass’s ability to read body language, particularly her experience with her mother, gives her the advantage against Shiva one-on-one.

Also, I’d put Bronze Tiger above Bruce, as well.

1 Like

Where is Richard Dragon in the list?

I should add her personality and storyline are very different. With the possible exception of Mike she is the most changed character from Stars and STRIPE.

1 Like

I’d put him below Cass and above Bronze Tiger, but they’re all close.

1 Like

Query,

Where do Katana and Judomaster (whichever one is active presently in the DCU), fall on this Martial Arts listing I’m seeing here? Both have Birds of Prey connections, I believe. Thanks!

No version of Judomaster has been tested enough to really tell for sure, but the latest, Sonia Sato, is the best to go by that name. She hasn’t made too many appearances outside of a few Birds of Prey comics, so it’s difficult to measure. Katana is no master of martial arts, but a master of intimidation, armed with a sword of horrible legend. She can hold her own in a fight, but she isn’t near the top of the list.

1 Like

I was wondering this when thinking of Superman II. Do Kryptonians need to use the bathroom?

1 Like

There has never been a scene that has taken place in a Kryptonian bathroom, but considering the similarities between human and Kryptonian physiology I’d say it’s a safe bet that they do.

3 Likes

Huh, with how popular they are I figured somebody would have definitely answered this somewhere.

1 Like

Why do normal criminals think, “Yeah, I can take on Superman, with bullets.”

1 Like

Look, criminals don’t do what they do EXPECTING to run into Superman. They usually assume he’s busy saving the world or something. And when all you have is a gun, you’re gonna use it.

2 Likes

You throw the gun at him!

4 Likes

And he ducks! I love that :joy:

1 Like

1 Like

Nikolas Draper-Ivey - the artist on the new Static book - teased that Gear’s new costume would have a Tokusatsu feel. As a burgeoning Power Rangers fan, I cannot stress enough how exciting that is, but it does make me wonder: have we ever had a Sentai-inspired hero before?

Also, side note: are the new Milestone books part of the core DC continuity or are they in their own universe again?

3 Likes

The closest example I can think of is Mister Unknown, the “Batman of Japan” featured in Batman Inc. who’s sort of a fusion Batman/Kamen Rider. Other than that, there was that Justice League/Power Rangers episode. But for more of Draper-Ivey’s manga inspiration, check out his original comic XOGenasys.

As for Milestone, the current line is in fact set in a separate universe from the rest of the current DC Comics.

3 Likes

I do hope this “segregation” shall we say, from the rest of the DCU isn’t going to be a permanent thing. After all, crossovers are what we fans all live for. Just like tpb reprints of their past team-ups (Worlds Collide), are what I’m still waiting for DC. What’s the hold-up? Anyway, now that the creative powers that be at Milestone have returned to the fold, so to speak, couldn’t help but start wondering about the MLJ/Archie super-heroes.

Over the decades, DC has tried unsuccessfully, to market different versions of them to the fans. Like others, I didn’t care much for most of the new interpretations. Is that user license still in affect? If so, then we may still see the Fly, Shield, Jaguar and the others taking “a bite outta’ crime” sometime in the future. If not, then to quote the late, great Gilda Radner’s Emily Litella, “never mind.” Or is this more of a query for Office Hours?

Stay safe, be well.

1 Like
3 Likes