ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Hello @HubCityQuestion, I don’t know if this question has been ask, if it did I do apologize, my question is When was the first time ever that Clark Kent goes into a Telephone Booth, change into Superman and when was the last time Kent change into Superman in a Telephone Booth? Thankyou. :superman:

5 Likes

Superman’s phone booth transition was actually an invention of the Fleischer brothers’ Superman cartoons! The very first time Clark changes into Superman was in the second Superman cartoon in 1941, “The Mechanical Monsters.” Siegel and Shuster started incorporating the imagery into their comics the following year, starting with a 1942 newspaper strip where Superman makes fun of the concept from the very beginning:

From there, the phone booth became a staple of the Adventures of Superman radio program, as well. The first live action Clark Kent to use a phone booth to transform into Superman was Bob Holliday, in the 1966 stage musical It’s a Bird, it’s a Plane, it’s Superman, followed by Christopher Reeve himself in Superman IV: The Quest for Peace.

As for the last appearance: the phone booth is such an iconographic part of Superman’s mythology that I don’t suspect it will ever fully disappear. It may not feature in mainstream comics these days- especially since Superman dispensed with his secret identity last year- but stories told in alternate versions of continuity or throwbacks to Superman’s past will most likely always keep them as part of Superman’s world.

6 Likes

Awesome, Thankyou so much! :grinning: I’ve gotta go now, Up Up And Away!
(I’ve always wanted to say that.:slightly_smiling_face:)
:superman:

4 Likes

Hello! Being that both are demons, have Etrigan and Trigon ever met in comics?

2 Likes

Though not always the case, Trigon is usually depicted not as a demon from Hell, but from a Hell-like alternate plane of reality. In fact, every encounter between the two has taken place in an alternate version of continuity.

The first encounter between Trigon and Etrigan doesn’t occur until 2011’s Tiny Titans #36, where Etrigan is a guest at Trigon’s friendly cookout. The two battle for the first time in 2016’s original graphic novel DC Super Hero Girls: Hits and Myths, which rewrites Etrigan’s history as a reformed minion of Trigon who now works as a poetry professor in Super Hero High. More recently, Etrigan appeared in DCeased: Dead Planet to warn Constantine that the divine powers that be were planning to wipe out creation and start over again, using Trigon as their instrument, and helps him prepare for the oncoming incursion.

6 Likes

Thanks! I had no clue! :grin:

3 Likes

Was adding some new additions to my library the other day. Finally got hold of the Shadowpact vol #1, tpb. Completing the 3 volume series. Just out of curiosity Q, what’s up with the mystical members of that former team, these days? At the end of their 25 issue run, these heroes (along with the Phantom Stranger) toast their success, before going their separate ways. So, since Rebirth (and whatever’s happening now), I really have no idea as to their present whereabouts or situations. Can you help a guy out here?

4 Likes

Absolutely. Many of the former members of Shadowpact figure into the ongoing narrative of 2018’s Justice League Dark series, which continues now as a back-up to Justice League. We’ll start in 2016, at the beginning of the Rebirth era, as the team’s members for the most part sat out the New 52:

Enchantress, as she once was in the Ostrander/Yale era, spent 2016-2018 as a member of the Suicide Squad, until she was killed in battle. She came back to life some time later during Sam Humphries’ run on Harley Quinn, and is still affiliated with Waller when she requires her services from time to time.

As for the rest of the team, we run into Detective Chimp and Nightmaster again in Dark Nights: Metal, where the Dark Knights murder Nightmaster, and leave Bobo in charge of the Nightsword and the Oblivion Bar. Chimp goes on to join the 2018 incarnation of Justice League Dark, where he runs into Blue Devil as guardian of another mystical plane of existence, helps rescue Nightshade during the “Witching Hour” crossover from the magic goddess Hecate, and in the most recent JLD arc, allies with Rory Regan while pursuing a rogue Merlin.

In short, the 2018 incarnation of Justice League Dark can easily be called the successor to Shadowpact, and I’d recommend it to any of DC’s magic fans.

3 Likes

I don’t have any of the titles you mentioned, but I do have access to Justice League: Dark, and JLD: Apokolips War on HBO/Max. I’ll check them out. Try to get a feel for the comics, and get back to you guys, later.

And speaking of Justice League, I was watching some JLU episodes from my dvd collection and got to wondering, how often Animal-man and Vixen have teamed up? Their powers being what they are, they seem like a most compatible pair.

2 Likes

Hello @HubCityQuestion,
Last week I bought the new Stargirl Springbreak comic, my question is, beside the JSA which I know they do, did Seven Soliders ever had their own comic series? Thankyou.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Since I’m here at the moment, I hope HCQ won’t mind me taking a crack at answering that for you. Yes, they did indeed have a series. A companion comic (if you will) to All-Star. Their adventures appeared in Leading Comics, beginning with issue #!, in 1940, and ran through 'til issue #14. All full length stories, just like the Justice Society. It became a humor title from #15 on.

Amazingly, a fully scripted but un-illustrated story remained tucked away until 1975. DC brushed off the cobwebs, and assigned a different artist to each chapter. It then saw the light of day in Adventure Comics, as a serialized story from #438-443. A truly unique Golden Age gem! My only regret, is when the series was reprinted as three Archive Editions, the last, lost story wasn’t included with them. Oh well, hope that’s helpful!

Stay safe, be well.

3 Likes

Thankyou so much @wrightline1.42741.:grinning:

2 Likes

Any time, my young friend!

3 Likes

Who is shamrock?

2 Likes

Thanks for the assist, Wrightline! A very thorough accounting indeed.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure she’s a Marvel character.

3 Likes

you’re right. google finally did something for me lol

3 Likes

I just realized that there was no column last month. Is the column still a thing that’s happening?

3 Likes

It is! We had to go on hiatus for a little while for technical, boring reasons. We’ll have a new one at the end of this month.

5 Likes

Glad to hear it, and looking forward to it!

3 Likes