Arrowverse Couch Club, Week 11: Legends of Tomorrow season finale

Considering how focused that scene was on Charlie and her development, I do think this was the right call, even if there was considerable risk behind it. Lachesis still poses a threat outside of her godhood, as she was still able to essentially re-enslave humanity w/out any powers, which reinforces her skills as a master manipulator. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Legends were still trying to keep an eye on her, but perhaps they figure that even in the worst case scenario, taking her down again wouldn’t be as difficult w/ her being powerless and them anticipating it.

But there is still some potential for good here. While I know their paths haven’t been the same, if Charlie could embrace her newfound mortality over the course of 2 seasons, perhaps there’s hope that Lachesis could do the same. I’m not necessarily anticipating that she’ll make a big return at any point, but it could still be worth at least a quick follow-up down the road. Legends has killed off/destroyed plenty of villains, so it could be nice to see the trend of villain redemption continue after Astra.

This development should present an interesting shift for him. John’s been operating under the knowledge that his soul is damned for years now, so it’s essentially allowed him to throw caution to the wind in a lot of situations. After all, he’s already condemned to hell for eternity, so what’s the worst that could happen if he screws up on earth? But now that he’s reclaimed possession of his soul, he finally has the chance to ensure a different ending for himself. Granted, I doubt that this’ll just automatically wipe away the mistakes he’s made during his life, so there’s still all of those actions to consider, but he may feel that a chance like this is all he needs. I think there’s some real potential in exploring John having a new, more cautious mindset going forward since he can finally be concerned w/ what might happen when he dies. That said, I also wouldn’t necessarily want such a mindset to last for too long, as Constantine’s at his best when he’s acting recklessly.

There’s certainly a lot to try and remember, but one moment that really sticks out was an episode from her debut season, “Raiders of the Lost Art,” when Amaya is talking to George Lucas. Seeing her be the one to give him the inspiration for the iconic “only hope” line was not only great in its own right, but it was particularly meta since Maisie’s first big screen role was actually a cameo in The Force Awakens! There were obviously a ton of Star Wars references/jokes in the episode, but if you’re gonna have one the Legends give Lucas inspiration for such a memorable quote, it might as well be the only one whose actor has actually been in Star Wars.

I really hope this isn’t the last we’ve seen of Astra. Given that she’ll be moving into Constantine’s mansion, it would seem strange for her to not at least be a recurring character going forward, though I suppose that might also depend on how much time is actually spent on earth next season w/ the aliens and all

But regardless of how many planets the Legends visit in season 6, it would still feel like a waste to ditch her this soon. Aside from the fact that her magic would certainly be useful in their everyday adventures, I’d mainly want to see the continuing relationship between her and Constantine. The finale really brought their story full-circle, which was fantastic to see. Now that they’ve managed to put all this darkness behind them, there’s a ton of potential to see them as full partners/allies. You don’t necessarily have to fully get rid of any possible drama between them, but like Sara and Ava, for example, there’s a lot to be said about seeing a mostly healthy relationship develop onscreen, especially after the two of them were enemies for much of season 5

Besides, this season has already said farewell to 3 Legends in Ray, Nora and now Charlie, so there’s plenty of room on the team for Astra to stay. Sure, they’ll be getting another recruit next season, but that alone certainly shouldn’t exclude Astra from the party

1 Like