Are you a die hard Dc fan or just do you like marvel as well?

This will explain my feelings sorta :scream: my top Apps in 2020 will be these
Disney+
DC Universe
Hulu
Apple TV+ most likely it has some interesting looking shows

Im always down for a good story, regardless of who publishes it. However I don’t love any other characters like I do DC characters so this will always be my go to home.

3 Likes

Both. Good stories are what matter most.

I love both, but DC is better at storytelling in my opinion, and Marvel has given way to agenda setting that has turned me off. I lean more DC for this reason, but could still passionately educate a newcomer on the history and lore of Marvel just as easily.

1 Like

I like aspects of both. Marvel introduced me to comics. My parents would take me to antique stores and book stores all the time when I was young and bribed me one time by letting me buy one comic (Spectacular Spider-man, don’t remember the issue number but it had Electro and Shocker). I still have the issue (yes, I’m to lazy to get up and go check the issue number). Marvel makes better movies currently. I find DC is better at using its characters in comics. Marvel just kinda has the same stories over and over. “Underdog hero fights villain, change is forbidden, Spidy is not allowed to graduate high school, etc.” DC makes a point of having an event every so many years just so they can keep everything relevant and finally get their continuity right. I agree with DeSade that its always been more the characters than the artist or writers. If Batman became a Marvel character tomorrow I would be on Marvel Universe instead.

Diehard DC although I do like Spiderman and the Xmen, not the MCU movies but the older movies and animated shows and the 90s comics…

I like the Non superhero Marvel titles I read as a kid Star Wars, Indiana Jones, G.I. Joe, Transformers and Conan. But when it came to Super Heroes, I was a hardcore DC guy all the way.

2 Likes

When I was eleven or twelve, Marvel was just starting with Fantastic Four and Amazing Spider-Man. Issue after issue, they were fascinating.

Meanwhile DC Comics seemed sillier and sollier. I stopped reading DC first , then Marvel as I graduated from high school to college.

In graduate school, I had a class at 10am and another at 6pm. There was a newstand in the subway that had Marvel magazines that were horror based. As a kid, I grew up on 1930s and 1940s Universal horror movies and Famous Monsters of Filmland and these books resonated with me.

I started reading Marvel. I remember the New X men and Perez on .Avengers and Byrne on Fantastic Four. I bought back issues of Avengers Kree Scrull War, Conan, Green Arrow/Green Lantern and Swamp Thing. I remember Man Thing Doctor Strange Defenders and Howard the Duck.

I dont know when I went back to DC but I remember buying Man of Steel, Perez Wonder Woman, Dark Knight, Watchmen and Killing Joke when they came out.

When new 52 came out I bought every series, no matter how bad.

Recently I liled All New X Men,
All New Avengers, Champions and Lady Thor. But aside from Conan, Fantastic Four, Jane Foster, and the new Xmen, i cant seem to buy other marvels. I dropped an excellent Dr Strange by Waid and the new Hulk, even though it consistently gets excellent reviews, because I dont like that version of the character.

I am getting ready to drop Batgirl, Red Hood, Nightwing, Flash Green Lantern Wonder Woman and Wonder Twins soon. Reading them is joyless. Maybe Supergirl soon after. I dont enjoy Superman, Action, Batman and Detective, but need to keep current. Odyssey is terrible but may have a new super hero team and i dont want to give up Jessica Cruz.
Hawkman, Terrifics, Justice League Dark, Lois Lane and DCeased are good.

3 Likes

I do enjoy some marvel films but as of late they have been upsetting me. I didnt like endgame, black panther or captain marvel. So slowly I’m losing interest in marvel, and getting more captivated into dc

I was a Marvel guy from the 80’s till the end of the 90’s and I just hit a point where I didn’t like anything Marvel was doing which led to me dropping comics altogether. I also read DC at the time as well but it was basically just Superman and Batman. My dad was the big DC guy then and I often wonder did I love Marvel so much as some form of rebellion. Also from the time it launched in 1992 till my local comic shop closed in like 1996 or 1997 I was also a huge Image fan maybe even more than Marvel. But my local comic shop was the only place that carried Image so after it closed there was no Image to buy.

But then this obscure store pop up on day in 2003 and it reignited my love of comics and becoming hardcore DC. By the way to little store that I’m sure you guys probably don’t remember was Batman: Hush. It was issue 614 to be specific. I love me some Marvel Legends but when it comes to the comics I’m not sure I’ve bought 15 new comics/trades in 20years. I’ve re bought a lot of older Marvel comics I no longer had but I just don’t really care for the newer stuff.

1 Like

I was a die hard Marvel fan. Before Disney came along that is.

4 Likes

I read X-Men back in high school, but since getting back into comics (around 2000) I’ve been strictly DC.

1 Like

I love comics in general from all comic companies

1 Like

I don’t get excited for a marvel movie but ill watch it. But with dc i am always excited even if it my not be good just grew up on justice league unlimited and other shows. Hot into comics recently. Althought i do like the animated shows marvel has because they introduce more heros and villans the next big marvel movie i want to see is Fantastic four

1 Like

I was reading DC well before Marvel was called Marvel. I always picked out DETECTIVE COMICS, not so much for Batman, but the Martian Manhunter, a character I have loved since (I’m 71). By 10, I was buying BATMAN, SUPERMAN (and JIMMY OLSEN and, God help me, LOIS LANE), WORLD’S FINEST, THE FLASH, GREEN LANTERN, JLA and a couple which don’t come to mind.

At 13, Stan, Jack and Steve changed the comics world forever, but I kept buying DC. BLACKHAWK, CHALLENGERS OF THE INKNOWN, and MY GREATEST ADVENTURE, the first appearance of THE DOOM PATROL.

WHOOO! And, in the 80s and 90s, except for SPIDER-MAN and Chris Claremont’s SEVENTEEN YEAR run on the X-MEN and NEW MUTANTS, I read DC exclusively, and was glad, since Marvel had hit a bad skid on an slippery slope.

In other words, like any discerning comics fan, I love both labels. 90% of what I read, these days, is on the DC app.

2 Likes

@OldRocker99

I enjoyed your recollections a lot.

I too read Jimmy and Lois.

And at 69, I am glad to see another senior on the forum.

2 Likes

I’m a die hard DC fan but I do enjoy Marvel quite a bit. But not so much their recent comics. They’ve been kinda meh in my opinion. Except Secret Empire, surprisingly. All the hate and controversy it stirred, yet it turned out to be one of the best Marvel stories in years (though that’s not saying much). It definitely had its flaws but I found it interesting.

As for the movies, I enjoy the MCU, Sony and Fox Marvel movies but I still prefer DC’s movies for the most part (Suicide Squad, Joss Whedon League, Jonah Hex and Batman & Robin, etc. aside). For the shows, Marvel’s Netflix shows, Agents of SHIELD, Legion and The Gifted are all great, but Runaways is bad in my opinion (a shame because I loved the original Runaways comics), Inhumans is terrible and I haven’t seen Cloak & Dagger.

For the animation, I liked the Lionsgate animated movies, Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, Spectacular Spider-Man and the four Marvel Anime miniseries.

But the DCU shows, Gotham and Pennyworth beat the Marvel shows (except Daredevil and Legion, though Doom Patrol is on the same level as them in my opinion) and with all the great animated DC stuff, Marvel’s got nothing on them.

1 Like

I never understood why anyone feels that if they love one then they MUST hate the other. I know several people who do this. I am a life long Batman and Wonder Woman fan, so I have always preferred DC. However, I have plenty of Marvel books (Spidey was always my favorite Marvel character), Image, and small press books in my collection.

I mostly enjoy the Marvel movies, though I do think they often get waaaay overrated… I think Ultron, Civil War, and End Game were just terrible, Infinity War was amazing, Spider-Man has been terribly destroyed by being turned into Iron Man Jr, and Winter Soldier and Guardians are my favorite Marvel movies. I also think the DC movies get way more hate than they should. Except for Suicide Squad; that deserves all the hate for how WB/DC butchered that one and wasted a great cast. While Dawn of Justice was not at all great, mainly because NO ONE WANTS A MOPEY AND SELF-ABSORBED SUPERMAN… it finally gave me Wonder Woman on the big screen and Gal Gadot nailed it. The movie will always have a place in my heart for that alone.

I look at DC vs Marvel just like I look at Star Wars vs Star Trek, which I love both equally. Even though Batman and Wonder Woman > ALL; I can still like Marvel stuff if I wanna. :smiley:

1 Like

I totally prefer DC 100% and know very little about Marvel. I do like it though, but I put so much time into DC that there’s barely time for Marvel stuff.

4 Likes

I’m all DC, I practically breath it. I do enjoy some Marvel, but only a handful of characters. In my opinion only some of those characters I feel like they would fit in perfectly in the DC Universe, like Captain America and Spider-Man. Spider-Man would be perfect for the Teen Titans, help him gain confidence in himself and not have to worry about the public’s opinion about him, and Captain America will actually be around like minded individuals who are together who turn down their egos to help people for the greater good.

2 Likes