Aquaman Through The Ages

With no Aquaman series currently planned for 2024 (hopefully this changes, but summer would probably be the earliest at this point), I have decided to re-read the entire 83+ year history of Aquaman throughout 2024. In this post, I will be chronicling my journey through the years of Aquaman’s adventures. At a minimum I will post the cover for each issue I read each day. I won’t necessarily be doing a book report on each issue, because I ain’t a critic in any sense of the word, but I will probably make comments here and there as I see fit. So sit back, relax, and join me, as we journey through the ages and enjoy the many adventures of AQUAMAN - KING OF THE SEVEN SEAS!!!
aebb3fd269ecbf0af7d175c4cbf8f965

:00_aquaman: :00_aquaman: :00_aquaman:

17 Likes

On September 19th 1941, the world was introduced to Aquaman in the pages of More Fun Comics #73 (Cover Date: November 1941) in a story known as “The Submarine Strikes!” by Mort Weisinger and Paul Norris

First official appearance of Aquaman

Aquaman Golden Age Origin Story. He didn’t have a single power in the golden age, it was all learned abilities.

More Fun Comics #73 - Origin1

10 Likes

More Fun Comics #74 (Cover Date: December 1941)
“Black Jack” by Mort Weisinger and Paul Norris

First appearance of “The Modern Day Pirate” Black Jack, who would be Aquaman’s arch nemesis during the Golden Age

More Fun Comics #74 - Black Jack First Appearance

10 Likes

Love this idea. No reason fans shouldn’t celebrate Aquaman even when DC forgot to. I unfortunately hadn’t read too much Aquaman comics to join in the fun. :sob:

8 Likes

I remember finding your first appearance surprisingly grounded I really thought it would be more crazy trench stuff.

6 Likes

More Fun Comics #75 (Cover Date: January 1942)
“The Return Of Black Jack” by Mort Weisinger and Paul Norris

First appearance of Aquaman’s underwater lair.
Also look, it’s our old friend Black Jack!

8 Likes

My first Aquaman comic was #28 (vol 1), cover dated August 1966. I had no idea who this guy was, but I thought an undersea super-hero was so cool. The story was by the prolific Bob Haney, and the art was by the legendary Nick Cardy.
You have a long and exciting journey ahead. The great stories beautifully rendered by Ramona Fradon, and the late sixties experience of the best Aquaman adventure of all: “The Search for Mera” are among some of my fondest memories of The Sea King.
ENJOY!

5 Likes

You can still join in, no prior knowledge required. Who knows, maybe seeing how awesome my adventures are may motivate you to pick up an Aquaman book.

Yes, I remember the first time I read the golden age thinking about that. For many of my early adventures, there was really not a lot of true underwater adventures. Most of my exploits, while taking place in the ocean, were mostly surface level.

Oh yes, absolutely! My first comic was in late '89 - early 1990 with Atlantis Chronicles #1 and Aquaman has been my favorite ever since. I absolutely love his 60s-70s run, this is where most of the characters that we all know and love made their debuts. While you had Justice League of America and the Super Friends cartoon doing him no favors, his self titled comics were absolutely amazing.

:00_aquaman: :00_aquaman: :00_aquaman:

7 Likes

More Fun Comics #76 (Cover Date: February 1942)
“Mystery Of The Sinking Ship” by Mort Weisinger and Paul Norris

These scooby doo endings were very common in the 40s and 50s

7 Likes

More Fun Comics #77 (Cover Date: March 1942)
“Freedom Of The Seas” by Paul Norris

It’s our old friend, Black Jack!!!

In Black Jack’s 3rd appearance, he is arrested for the first time.

8 Likes

More Fun Comics #78 (Cover Date: April 1942)
“The Sargasso Sea” by Paul Norris

Two out of the three villains not named Black Jack have been blown up

6 Likes

By the way I am about to read Throne of Atlantis for the third time.

Years back I found a fan thread from right after it came out, and everybody was calling it top 10 DC storyline of all time (and saying Flash was not earning his due on The Justice League).

5 Likes

Alright @Aquaman I’ll give it a shot. I remember trying to get into Aquaman after Drowned Earth and when a new run started in Aquaman Issue 43 written by Kelly Sue Deconnick.

I gotta say personally, introduction was amazing. Arthur who seemingly lost his memory of being Aquaman was saved and has lived his life as a fisherman on a mysterious magical island. I was really interested in that setting and the character of Callie, the one whose past was also mysterious as Arthur is just an amazing character.

Artists Robson Rocha and Daniel Herique art in general throughout was superb. It really helped get me engrossed into this new run.

I really liked Kelly Sue Deconnick work on Aquaman as besides some pet peeves I genuinely enjoyed a lot about the run.

Highlights include low-key my favorite moment with Wonder-woman ever in issue 50.

And the next issue when Jackson Hyde showed up. Good to see him hang around Aquaman and you know, he can use his powers to make rainbows. What’s not to love about that.

5 Likes

More Fun Comics #79 (Cover Date: May 1942)
“Aquaman Strikes!” by Paul Norris

Around this time, many comics starting to shift their forcus to war promotion. Aquaman was no exception.

3 Likes

World’s Finest Comics #6 (Cover Date: Summer 1942)
“The Zoo Of The Deep” by Mort Weisinger and Paul Norris

Get used to the concept of Ocean zoos and circuses, btw. We will see it a few times during the Golden Age.

2 Likes

More Fun Comics #80 (Cover Date: June 1942)
“Scourge Of The Seven Seas” by Mort Weisinger and Paul Norris

It’s our old friend, Black Jack! He’s in jail after being arrested during his last appearance. Gotta love some good continuity.

Web capture_3-1-2024_18362_2.bp.blogspot.com

I mean…that’s a very valid point

Web capture_3-1-2024_183710_2.bp.blogspot.com

What’s that, girl? Little Timmy’s fallen down the well?

Web capture_3-1-2024_183834_2.bp.blogspot.com

4 Likes

More Fun Comics #81 (Cover Date: July 1942)
“Champ Of The Waves” by Paul Norris

First use of the term “Finny Friends”. Get used to it, we will be using it quite frequently.

Web capture_3-1-2024_192616_2.bp.blogspot.com

Oh, of course! Why didn’t we think of that?

Web capture_3-1-2024_192740_2.bp.blogspot.com

4 Likes

A new era!

Beginning with this issue, Paul Norris is no longer drawing Aquaman :cry:

More Fun Comics #82 (Cover Date: August 1942)
“King Of The Convict Island” by Louis Cazeneuve

3 Likes

I enjoyed the Deconnick run, it’s one of the better ones. I liked a lot of what she did, there’s just a couple things that she did that I wasn’t a fan of. Being that my real name is Andrew, I always appreciated the fact that Aquaman is being called Andy at the beginning of this run.

Aside from that, when it comes to new readers to Aquaman, I always recommend the Geoff Johns run, which is the beginning of the New 52. It is one of the most perfect runs that I’ve ever read.

3 Likes

Throne of Atlantis is one of my favorite Aquaman stories of all time, it is blockbuster movie quality. I want to see a giant tidal wave throw an aircraft carrier through the middle of a huge metropolitan city on the silver screen. lol

5 Likes