Aquaman comic runs

What are some good Aquaman comic runs? Not just a story, but an author’s whole run. Any suggestions?

3 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, Geoff Johns wrote the New 52 Aquaman run, and having read the first arc of that, I gotta say that it’s pretty great!

5 Likes

1994 Comic Book Aquaman 2 Arthur loses hand, replaces with harpoon. Long Hair and attitude influenced Justice League and Aquaman movies decades later. Start of Aquaman as Bad Ass, no Longer a Joke Hero who could only last an hour outside water, whose only power was to tslk to fish… Peter David.

2011 Geoff Johns

2016 Dan Abnett

3 Likes

It’s not as flashy as the Geoff Johns run, or as recent as the Abnett or DeConnick runs (both of which are quite fun), but I really like the Jeff Smith run which is a big part of the recent film’s source material.

3 Likes

I really liked new52 Aquaman, especially the part by Johns and the arc immediately following.

1 Like

Peter David’s run was really enjoyable to me.

4 Likes

Geoff Johns new 52 run is amazing.

4 Likes

2011 and 2016 are great!

2 Likes

I get another chance to plug my favorite Aquaman run: Aquaman: The Search for Mera. Also, I second @ralphsix’s choice of Peter David’s run. And if you are willing to check your brain at the door, go back and read the Silver Age Sea King’s books also here on the app. They are whacky fun and feature beautiful artwork by the great Nick Cardy.

6 Likes

I think I’ll try it.

1 Like

Peter David’s run is my favorite. The DCEU Arthur’s attitude comes from this run.

3 Likes

Will Pfeiffer’s run on Aquaman (2003) #'s 15-22. It’s where Sub Diego was introduced, most of the covers are by Alan Davis and it’s just fun.

That whole volume of Aquaman from #15 onward is great (#'s 1-14 are good too, but things really ramp up from #15 on). After Pfeiffer’s run, you have notable writing talents steering the ship such as John Ostrander, John Arcudi and Marc Guggenheim.

The 2003-2006 volume of Aquaman is easily his most underrated modern series, yet it remains one of his best.

2 Likes

I loved what John’s did to reestablish Aquaman. Great job there on New 52. Gets you through the first 25 issues or so.

Jeff Parker takes over, then Small stint in there by Cullen, but Abnett took over at the end of New 52 all the way through Drowned Earth (Issue 42 of 2016-). If you’re reading Abnett’s run, go find all of the Justice League, Teen Titans, and Suicide Squad tie ins. You get to revisit characters from Aquaman’s past and see him put Mera in the spotlight.

DeConnick has it from there and her and the art team have been nailing it.

Honestly start with New 52 number 1 and keep going if you’re interested in the current series. Probably good to catch up on DeConnick’s as to see how it could tie in with the new/whenever it comes out Metal story line if you’re reading currents.

1 Like

I’m just now starting Throne of Atlantis

1 Like