Anything you'd like DC to discontinue?

Ay @YoYoFroYo
That’s exactly what I mean. Thank you. Thank for having a conversation. I am more of a republican myself but I do and will always respect your and others opinions. I don’t want Republican or Democrat agendas in DC at all. Please understand that putting the agendas in comics and stuff is a great way to segregate readers. Thats not what DC should want. DC is a business and shouldn’t be willing to sacrifice viewers.

Also artist always have the right to put their views in their work. In my opinion, I think putting them in a large business is a way to force those who don’t agree to ether deal with your views or stop reading.

Which is NOT a good idea for businesses in general.

Furthermore, another example would be the Chick Fil A situation. Chick Fil A openly pushed Christian and kinda Homophobic views on their customers. A lot of people don’t eat at Chick Fil A for that reason.

I don’t want DC to be doing that.
Thanks for reading my little rant.
And remember to respect people’s opinions. I will always respect yours.

W-J. I get annoyed they never mention where each story fits in. Just in the note on the first or second page mention when it falls in other series the character is in at the same time (relative to us). Before ___ comics” “After____ storyline.”
If they can’t do that, then yeah. Just get rid of continuity.

They should stop making DCEU movies.

Superhero comic are inherently political, just sayin.

2 Likes

Comics have been political but also open for interpretation. Now it is far more on the nose.

Batman issues in the past have talked about equality for all.

Lois Lane current comic reads like a CNN commentary.

Big difference there.

2 Likes

Politics in comics kicked into high gear with Green Lantern/Green Arrow in the 60’s. Sometimes I agree with what they’re pushing sometimes not, but either way I don’t like it, and when I don’t like something I avoid it.

To be fair, if you are gonna have heavy handed leftist comics you might as well also have stuff that talks in favor of right or libertarian/green/ other parties etc. You can’t boast about diversity if you only cater to one party. That’s not inclusive, if anything it the opposite.

That said, some more heavy handed leftist stuff has been written well at least to me like Green Arrow.

4 Likes

The problem with being political is you put a shelf life on it. Many great comedies of the 70s and 80s that took social issues head on; have not aged well. A change in societal views and a time distance from the events that inspired the authors have caused a large portion of the current audience to no longer appreciate the humor. The same can be said with comics.

2 Likes

To answer the original question, I don’t really want anything discontinued. If I don’t like it, there’s probably people out there that do. They can continue enjoying it while I check something else out :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I think that instead of diversifying comics politically, we should not be putting politics in comics. Sorry to repoint this point again but some of you guys don’t seem to understand. If there are any form of politics in comics, viewers get segregated. Some viewers, despite not agreeing with the politics, will see it a minor inconvenience and just try their best to ignore it or avoid specific comics. But some people will inevitably decide to stop reading DC comics or comics in general.
THIS IS BAD. For a business, they cannot let this happen. This is money that could be theirs or could be used to pay to make comics. They should not let such a… dumb thing do that. We don’t need politics in DC comics. If someone wants to make a political comic then make it a comic about politics. Don’t force your agenda into superhero comics or whatever.

I have no idea how comics could inherently political. I really don’t understand that point of view. I believe one of the previous comments said that. If someone could explain to me that point of view, that would be great. Thanks. Also remember to respect others opinions! I will always respect yours.

3 Likes

@mrpig I do respect your opinions so we are all good here. It is nice to discuss this on a civil level and even moreso on the internet. Personally, comics to some degree have always had it. Not every comic ever. But there are stuff that have had it consistently like Captain America and Green Arrow. There’s also tons of great stuff not political that are great too. Personally speaking, I believe there are room for both mediums in comics the same way we do in movies or shows, games etc.

I will admit though however that there is definitely an overabundance of it in modern comics. It’s almost like programming/cultish cause of how dominant it has become in the last few years. Yeah it has pushed people away and will continue so for better/worse. My only worry of it is how much will it hurt sales?!

Dan DiDio talked at SDCC about people buying older comics. The positive: people in 2019 still are interested and want to read them. The negative: this hurts the sales of new(er) comics. But if those seeking out older comics are displeased with the content of modern comics, then i cant fault them considering I’d be doing the same thing if I felt the way they did.

Luckily, I’m a fan of a lot of modern comics from several publishers so if I’m displeased with content somewhere, I have no issues abandoning ship!

2 Likes

Comics will always be political, they always have been. We may not be children of the age, a certain character was a political message, but most of them are, and it’s what comics have been since thier inception.

Superman is a statement about immigration and that is how Shuster and Segiel meant it.

Wonder Woman is Milton’s opinions on early feminism.

“You help the blue sinned men, but what do you doin for the black man?” - down and out earthling to Green Lantern and Green Arrow in the late 70’s (penned by Denny O’neil)

Watchmen…if you dont see the Nuclear arms race morality tale, you didnt really read it.

Saying politics shouldnt be in comics, is like saying politics shouldnt be talked about on the news. Political allegory is what superheroes ARE.

5 Likes

Discontinue the idea of “Batman is a brooding loner who works alone and needs to be sad and lonely in his lonely loneliness.”
Dude has 4 Robins, 3 Batgirls, 2 Batwings, The Signal, Batwoman, the Outsiders, multiple Justice Leagues, Alfred, Lucius Fox, Commissioner Gordon, a few other members of the GCPD who don’t mind working with him, Julia Pennyworth, Bat Cow, Bat Hound, Bat Cat, Catwoman on occasion, reformed villain allies on occasion, Huntress, sometimes Black Canary, and multiple love interests, some of which know his secret identity.
He can still be dark, but Batman is definitely NOT a loner anymore and hasn’t been since April 1940.

4 Likes

I’d be okay if Harley Quinn stopped being popular. :grimacing: Or went back to just being a villain.

2 Likes

I don’t know that I think of Batman as a loner so much. He’s sort of like the opposite of Randal from Clerks…he loves people, he just hates gatherings.

I wish sociopolitical statements/issues in comics/movies/shows would get discontinued.

5 Likes

You can be surrounded by people you love and care for and still be an introverted loner. Is all about how you prsent your life to other people, and Batman doesn’t often show his heart.

2 Likes

I’d like them to fix the format of the streaming service. It’s annoying the way it’s designed. Things are all over the place. When you watch an episode the meter doesn’t even go all the way to the end, so you know you already watched it. It’s not that hard. I’m pretty sure Marvel’s isn’t going to be like this.

@timothydark: Marvel isn’t going to have a streaming service. Calling Disney+ the Marvel streaming service is akin to calling CBS All Access the Star Trek streaming service. That said, we’ll see how green the grass is on that side once it’s actually released (and even then, it really should be stacked up against WarnerMedia’s HBO Go streaming service, not their dinky little DCU side-project).

1 Like

Why is the name Dick Grayson offensive? There are still guys who go by the name Dick. If you are named Richard and don’t like it you can go by another nickname but just because some people are over sensitive isn’t a reason to change it
It wasn’t until recently it was even an issue

2 Likes