Am I the only one who dislikes Harley Quinn?

I really liked her in Batman tas. After reading most of her solo series Harley Quinn, comes off as hey we have this crazy wacky girl. They brand her as like female Deadpool with out the charm. I guess I like her more when she was in btas.

1 Like

She is pretty crazy and wacky. I havent read her solos. But <3 her bunches in the three Injustice storylines. Especially Ground Zero.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not a big fan. I liked her as more of a peripheral villain character.

1 Like

I think they’re trying to find where she belongs “post Joker”. Her popularity has moved her past sidekick status and into her own. With that being said, I agree. The 4th wall breaking, talking to voices only she hears, and the anti-hero angle just don’t seem to work. Then again, the 37 year old male market might not be the target audience.

1 Like

I think that she’s a tricky character for the writers to pin down. When she was introduced, she was the sidekick of Mark Hamill’s Joker in the Animated Series and loved him unconditionally. Okay, fine. But for all the merits of the animated series, it is still just for kids, and so that Joker acts accordingly. It is easy for me to see how a misguided young woman might get caught up in the throes of passion for a guy who tends to lean towards more ‘obnoxious prankster’ than ‘homicidal maniac.’ But once you try to shoehorn Harley into the mainstream comic book universe ```
now we have a problem. Now Harley isn’t just forgiving and swearing loyalty to a guy who has a misguided sense of humor but a violent murderer who kills, cripples and maims with impunity. These are different characters: one is forgiving faux pas, the other is forgiving and abetting mass murder. But they want to keep her same baseline personality.

I don’t think the writers ever came to terms with this difference. Instead of confronting it, they seem to choose instead to toss Harley on her own and disconnect her from the Joker. But I’m not convinced she can stand on her own as an independent character: from what I’ve seen, she still ends up hoisting her cart to other villains like Poison Ivy. My vote is: Let female villains be villains. None of this ‘she was misguided’ or ‘she was manipulated’ or ‘she means well.’ If we can just confront the fact that Harley Quinn is in love with the Joker, despite the fact (or perhaps, because of the fact) that he is the embodiment of evil, I think Harley would be a stronger villain and a stronger character.

2 Likes

Love Harley, although I never was a huge fan of the Art style of Amanda Conner. The most recent best Harley to me was from the Injustice Comics. The art and the way she was depicted is too good.

1 Like

Me, too. Never have been a big fan of her character… my brother likes her character a lot though.