Alan Moore: The Roundtable Discussion

If you want something similar to daredevil but don’t want to bother with marvel acquiring it, I recommend Green Arrow Year One, The Longbow Hunters, and The Kill Machine.

4 Likes

Ok now you’re scaring me lol. Your inside my head. Those are 2 of my favorite evers & I love the Kill Machine. War of the Clans takes 1 of my top 3 GA storylines tho. Although it is a crossover, so, officially I guess those would be my top 3 GA storylines. Quiver is up there too. I love onomatopoeia!!! Oh & Green Arrow & Black Canary starting with The Wedding Album is one of the most underrated reads imho…

4 Likes

Does your local library system use Hoopla by any chance?

3 Likes

From those of us here at the Roundtable Discussion Planning Committee, me @msgtv & @TurokSonOfStone1950 from the DC History Club, @Razzzcat from Harley’s Crew, @Vroom from the Justice League Book Club & @D4RK5TARZ who provided our fantastic graphics from the House of Horrors, we just want to thank everyone who came and grabbed a chair at the Roundtable and pitched in with your thoughts. This couldn’t have worked out better and all thanks to everyone who participated. And don’t forget, the Roundtable never really closes, so there’s still time to do your bit. So, roll call of Roundtablers:
@Clonegeek18, @capo-mage, @raider_dave66, @RexRebel & @SteveTrevor2.0

14 Likes

Hey, Roundtablers see the note above.
@scoop001 @LaserPuff @NUEXGUY @Jay_Kay @Reaganfan78 @CaptainYesterday @MiscellaneousSoup @bigblock66 @HubCityQuestion @Detective7

11 Likes

Hey Roundtablers there’s a note for you above @JusKris-El @DickGrayson_TheBoyFriendWonder @Don-El

8 Likes

Ty @msgtv . I’ll try to contribute more in the future. I read a lot. Than the Olympics is a no brainer social media blackout for me. I wanna experience every moment. Just got back from 2 weeks of Olympics. Than my dad had wrist surgery. So my plans to return Sunday got pushed til today. Had to mulch the house & mow for him etc. Anywho, thanks & glad to be back.

5 Likes

No worries man, knew you were deep into the Olympic watch. That time difference is a killer for me. Also, I’ve watched Olympics on German and Japanese tv. Wall to wall competition (like every hammer throw or whatever) with very little fluff. Much nicer way to watch.

6 Likes

In the military? Either way, that’s awesome!!! I’m a complete Olympics junkie.

6 Likes

Yep, when I was stationed overseas. Also, lots less talk by announcers.

6 Likes

I figured that’s what u meant. What a unique experience…

6 Likes

So, finished both Halo Jones and Promethea last weekend and there’s significant parallels between the series. Both star a young woman trying to figure out how to fit in the universe. In the first third of each, Halo/Sophie exploring their place, at conflict on a smaller scale. In the middle third, the both take a journey that changes them forever Sophie to the afterlife/heaven/high levels of being; Sophie to space. Then the final third cranks up the action to 11, couldn’t put either story down. By the end, they are their own person.
On another note, The Ballad of Halo Jones as a feminist space opera? I enjoyed the first two parts a lot, but ballad seemed ironic and feminist space opera? Well it took part in space. Then part three. The Ballad of Halo Jones is a great feminist space opera.
@Razzzcat I got to it eventually

6 Likes

I picked up Halo Jones and maybe need to move it closer to the top of the read pile. I thought it was great timing that Humble Bundle offered all 3 books, along with many other 2000 AD titles, right when you and Razzz were talking about Halo Jones initially.

6 Likes

For the first 2/3rds, I read a chapter a day. You would have read them spaced out in 2000 AD and they are constructed that way. Nice little five minute story each day. But, not with part three, I blew past that “this is they way they were read” idea and binged.
Tell us what you think when you join the Halo Jones club.
FYI, used to picked up 2000 AD occasionally at the British Army of the Rhine bookstore in Dusseldorf on occasion. I really should have kept all of those.

6 Likes

That is actually how I have been reading Judge Dredd Case Files 1 and DC’s Black Canary: Bird of Prey. Just a chapter/story or 2 every now and then. Heavy Metal/Metal Hurlant is very much the same way.

6 Likes

:books: @msgtv I read them pretty far apart and Promethea took me a lot longer (like a LOT longer :see_no_evil:) but I didn’t consider similarities beyond a general arc. Promethea felt like a slow burn, and perhaps it’s because of the place I was in when I read it, but Halo Jones (after that initial set up) felt like it took off like a rocket—agree there! And that the “space opera” thing seemed a touch grand…until you get there, and then it’s like :eyes: Oh! Okay, he meant it!

(Now we just need those other 4 books, Mr. Moore, P&TY!)

I started a reread finally. Slow going, but I’m curious if (and how) my opinion/perspective has changed.

Anyway. Really glad you enjoyed it! Truly. Would’ve ssuuuct if you thought it was a steaming pile, lol! So NOW, w/ this second recommendation, I hope @D4RK5TARZ will put on some track pants, grab a slice of pie, and join our Halo Jones cult club!

(Don’t want to be a bad influence or anything, but: :smiling_imp: Do iiiiiiit!)

Agree! …Never got into Judge Dredd. Am I missing out?

7 Likes

Judge Dredd can be fun. I also like Judge Anderson. She is little different than Dredd but lives in that same universe.

6 Likes

I remember Judge Anderson. With so many Dredd stories and writers over the years, the quality can vary, but usually a fun read.

5 Likes

What about the movie? Was it terrible? :eyes:

Googles Judge Anderson…

7 Likes

A saw the Stallone, not good. Started the most recent one, but never finished

6 Likes