Alan Moore: The Roundtable Discussion

I figured it would be safe to share this from another topic here in the Alan Moore Roundtable as it very much has to do with Mr. Moore and his legendary run of Swamp Thing.

tldr: I am now the proud owner of Saga of the Swamp Thing issues 20-34!!!

7 Likes

Awesomeness

7 Likes

Looks like I will be adding Halo Jones to my reading list thanks to the new 2000 AD Humble Bundle.

7 Likes

Ohā€¦sorry. I was saying trying to think like a critic was gross & I didnā€™t like it. Not Alan :laughing:ā€¦

7 Likes

okay, record reflects the correction

7 Likes

Haha ty your honor. May the record show Iā€™ve always been a :00_dc_2016: only fan. I have no quarrel within the DCU.

7 Likes

You gotta branch out some, your missing some good stuff

8 Likes

I wonā€™t say thatā€™s not true because I canā€™t lol. I completely understand that tho & youā€™re making a very valid point. I sometimes wish I could double up. But, I have so much just on this side,& I donā€™t ever wanna be in a position where Iā€™m confusing characters or storylines etc. Maybe if someone took me back to the mid 80ā€™s b4 I even knew people took sides? Than I could, possibly? But, too dug in b4 I even knew it was a thing? I just always went DC. Wasnā€™t until around Internet beginning times I even knew some people took sides. I never made a conscience effort to pick either or. I just was always DC only?

7 Likes

Iā€™ve always been DC first, but have always enjoyed comics from other publishers as well. Though that varies based on writers, artists and Storylines.there is a lot of great stuff out there, but there is enough of DC to never need to read anything else.

8 Likes

Itā€™s so true. Especially, if u weā€™re old enough to even remember the old ones cuz after reading todayā€™s stuff- if I didnā€™t grow up in the years I did, I probably wouldnā€™t even bother. Luckily, since at that time it looked like everything else, I not only ā€œcanā€ but ā€œloveā€ to read from all eras.

7 Likes

My non DC recommations

1. Tomb of Dracula from Marvel 70 issues
    All of it is drawn by Gene Colon and from issue 7 on its written by Marv Wolfman

2. Squardron Sumpreme (1985) stars Marvelā€™s take on the Justice League, the Squardron Supreme whose members are based on specific DC charactors
    Amphibian is a homage to Aquaman
    Hyperion is a homage to Superman
    Nighthawk is a homage to Batman
    Doctor Spectrum is a homage to Green Lantern
    Whizzer is a homage to the Flash
    Power Princess is a homage to Wonder Woman
    Arcanna is a homage to Zatanna
    Tom Thumb is a loose homage to the Atom
    Lady Lark is a homage to Black Canary
    Golden Archer is a homage to Green Arrow
    American Eagle is a homage to Hawkman
    Nuke is a loose homage to Firestorm

6 Likes

Other

All Great choices, I would also recommend the original Conan the Barbarian series issues 1-25, especially.

6 Likes

Thats a classic

6 Likes

Iā€™ll take your & @RexRebelā€™s word on those. ā€œIfā€ that day ever comes I will remember exactly where this is & I appreciate the recs.

3 Likes

Take the leap of faith

4 Likes

Also I Rec Frank Millerā€™s Daredevil

4 Likes

Iā€™ve seen season 1 & 2 of Daredevil but never read it or any Marvel. I do love Frank Miller & itā€™s a great show. I did quit tho. I did that & Punisher season 1, oh & Jessica Jones b/c I love that woman ever since she was Jesses girl (:microphone: unplanned Rick Springfield nod) in Breaking Bad. They were all good. But, I quit after a season on those 3. I know they were working their way to an Avengers team up tho. I donā€™t need to know much to realize thatā€™s where they were headed.

3 Likes

Itā€™s never gonna happen :joy:. I appreciate the investment into sparking a new world of comics for me. But, itā€™s :00_dc_2016: only & all day over here haha. As Iā€™ve said numerous times, have absolutely nothing against Marvel; Iā€™m just DC & Marvel isnā€™t my cup of tea. Iā€™ve tried enough to know Iā€™m not lacking anything by completely dismissing Marvel. DC is way more than Iā€™ll ever need & Iā€™ll never even get close to reading everything just DC in one lifetime.

4 Likes

Never say never

4 Likes

Haha I knew that cliche was coming lol. But, fair enough, cliches are cliches for a reason & I believe defining it like that is a cliche in itself. I wonā€™t/ canā€™t argue (not that Iā€™d want to) the point tho. I guess u truly never know 100% what lies ahead?

3 Likes