Alan Moore: The Roundtable Discussion

Halo Jones update #1 aka it’s all @Razzzcat’s fault I read this.

Just finished Book 1 of 3 from the Complete Ballad of Halo Jones. In Moore’s intro, he said he didn’t want to write the ditzy sexualized girl or the bad ass woman with an attitude. Instead he writes “What I wanted was simply an ordinary woman…but transposed to the sort of future environment that seemed a prerequisite” for 2000 AD. In other words, a normal woman living in some version of MegaCity One. The “action” of book one primarily centers around a trip to the mall, which sounds so much more pedestrian than it is. But, because this is Moore and 2000 AD it’s so much more than that. This is an incredible work. It’s got all the hallmarks of British comics science fiction (teeming future city, robots, aliens, semi-understandable slang) plus Moore’s wit and heart. Bravo Mr. Moore. In book 2, we get to the space part of this space opera.

9 Likes

What can he be worried about? It isn’t like someone will come along and write dirty fan fiction using Watchmen characters and then have DC release it. I am sure he would never write dirty fan fiction and release it. Perhaps, that is exactly what he is worried about. He knows what he has worked on and worries that he might see his characters in compromising stories.

7 Likes

@msgtv I consider this a small personal victory! :sunglasses: :dancer:t2:

7 Likes

He is not worried.

He is angry.

In the ‘old days’
There was very limited
Reprinting

Some 80 page giants

Sometimes a reprint
Because story was late

Old Stories added to fill up
Pages when
Prices where raised
And DC needed to
Justify price
By adding pages

There were
No Trades
No Graphical Novels

Moore thought
The 12 issues would end
And he would get the stories back

He thought that
Because of the contract
With DC

The Contract said
When DC no longer
Published the title
It would revert back
To the creators

The popularity of

Dark Night Returns
And
Watchmen
Made
Trades / Graphic Novels
Possible.

So DC
Never stopped publishing
These titles

7 Likes

https://www.thecomicbookconnection.com/single-post/2017/11/25/alan-moore-s-watchmen-feud-with-dc-comics-explained#:~:text=Moore%20and%20Gibbons’%20contract%20with,the%20rights%20until%20that%20time.

4 Likes

I completely understand that. However, his attitude is the same for anything he has created that moves on without him. It also doesn’t change the fact that he, himself, has written 18+ comics using common use characters. I was thinking more of that aspect, as opposed to his paycheck. You can check out his reactions to League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, From Hell, V, and Watchmen. Not all of these are DC properties yet all of his interviews are pretty much the same. “They shouldn’t make that into a movie, tv show, continued comic series, etc.”

6 Likes
4 Likes

Book 1’s final arc gives the whole first story such a poignant feel that you just do not expect. This book is second read material.

6 Likes

Watchman graphic novel was my first experience with Alan Moore. I was late to the game but it was a unique experience at the time. I liked how it was a slightly more “realistic” super hero story with grey areas in the characters and their decisions.

8 Likes

Never too late for a classic

8 Likes

Just finished a reread of V for Vendetta. Still an enjoyable read with messages about power and freedom. The art was worse than I remember, unless that is from the digitization.

8 Likes

I have only watched the movie. How do they compare?

7 Likes

My short answer to your question is, the movie is better in a couple of important way, particularly concerning Eve. But, it is missing that special something from the series.

Also, another question later today!

8 Likes

I haven’t seen the movie, so I can’t compare them.

6 Likes

More Moore everywhere.

6 Likes

9 Likes

Here’s your chance to tell us about the many, many books across Moore’s creative endeavors.

7 Likes

I have yet to read it, but I would go with the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I love the whole premise.

6 Likes

@scoop001 @LaserPuff @TurokSonOfStone1950 @D4RK5TARZ @Razzzcat @capo-mage @Jay_Kay @Vroom @flashlites @Reaganfan78
Check it out folks, we’ve got a new question for the weekend. Plus, look below for info on an awesome WAL opportunity.

9 Likes

WildC.A.T.S. Unfortunately, its not yet available in digital, but it is available in this trade (which is OOP at the moment):

eBay photos of said book:

9 Likes