A Tribute to Dwayne McDuffie

Dwayne McDuffie was a comic book and animation writer best known as one of the founders of Milestone Media, an imprint of DC Comics dedicated to promoting better stories and characterizations for minorities, and for his contributions to Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. McDuffie, who notoriously despised stereotypes and vehemently fought against them in his work, won three Eisner Award nominations for his work in comics.

Of African-American characters in comics, he later, said:

“You only had two types of characters available for children. You had the stupid angry brute and the he’s-smart-but-he’s-black characters. And they were all colored either this Hershey-bar shade of brown, a sickly looking gray, or purple. I’ve never seen anyone that’s gray or purple before in my life. There was no diversity and almost no accuracy among the characters of color at all.”

In honor of the legacy McDuffie created and in celebration of Black History Month, we commemorate the life and accomplishments of Dwayne McDuffie in this all-new tribute - " A League of One - The Dwayne McDuffie Story"

Thanks to @HubCityQuestion for these list!
A collection of McDuffie’s comics you can read on DCUI:

Further Dwayne McDuffie viewing on HBO Max:

How did Dwayne McDuffie change the way you saw comics? How did he inspire you? Tell us in the comics below! :point_down:

32 Likes

I’ve been a fan of his work since he was working on Justice League. When I later found out about him in behind the scene, I thought this guy is such a talented writer and became a fan of his work.
It was a huge shock and sad when he passaway, I’m thankful that his works and memories will live on forever.

11 Likes

Steve Ditko and Denny O’Neil get lots of credit for creating and then redefining
The Question, but the only reason any of us are still talking about him is because of Dwayne McDuffie. His treatment of The Question in Justice League Unlimited synthesizing the takes of Ditko, O’Neil, and even Alan Moore’s Rorschach created such a compelling concoction that it drew me into the comic book universe to learn more about this strange, faceless man appearing among legends like Batman and Superman completely unfazed, and hooked me as a fan of the DC Universe forever. I can truly say that without Dwayne McDuffie, I would not be here right now, and would never have met any of you.

14 Likes

As I watched through Justice League Unlimited (which I only did for the first time recently, before the removal of video content from DC Universe), I was surprised by how often Dwayne McDuffie’s name popped up as the writer of the episode. He wrote all or part of 21 of the 39 episodes of that show (on top of 9 episodes of the preceding Justice League series), by far the most of any writer, including pretty much all of the best and most important episodes. That show is a masterpiece, and I think it can safely be said that it’s Dwayne McDuffie’s masterpiece. Not ignoring the contributions of the other writers, but it’s clear that his was the most influential voice on that show.

Since we’re celebrating Mr. McDuffie, may I humbly suggest that this quite important issue that was written by him and which is missing from DCUI be added? It’s already been digitized, so there shouldn’t be too much labor involved in making it happen. Getting as much of his work onto here as possible would be the perfect way to honor the man, I think. Thank you.

(P.S. Shout out to Damage Control!)

6 Likes

I didn’t start looking at people behind the scenes in DC and the superhero world that much until this DCU launched. And the more I’ve learned the more I’m amazed.
What I’ve learned about Dwayne McDuffie has been great. To see all the characters and stories that lived on through the DC Universe and changes that he brought is amazing.
Definitely a great legacy in the industry and the world and exited to see what happens next.

5 Likes

My comic reading during the 90s was sporadic, to put it charitably, so I missed all of Milestone Media.

I also watched maybe a handful of episodes from the various animated Justice League series.

So I learned of Dwayne McDuffie largely after the fact. I’m glad I did.

May his legacy continue…

5 Likes

My only knowledgeable Static Shock was the cartoon. I had no idea that there was such a genius behind the property.

5 Likes

I have long been a fan of Dwayne McDuffie, particularly his work with Milestone. The Milestone titles (particularly Icon, Hardware, and Static were not simply wonderful, they were in many ways revolutionary at the time.

6 Likes

Here’s a collection of McDuffie’s comics you can read on DCUI:

8 Likes

Further Dwayne McDuffie viewing on HBO Max:

8 Likes

I just started reading Hardware for the first time.
It is excellent! But it only goes up to issue #5 on Infinite! Please give us some more issues DC

5 Likes

I constantly think of Dwayne and his influence in today’s pop culture. An amazing man, gone too soon. :heart:

7 Likes

So glad they made this documentary available for free to the public :’)

5 Likes

I know I’m just a big softie, but the story about the romance between he and his wife… :sob: :sob: :sob: Others have spoken much about his influence, and he as a person was very special, as well.

5 Likes

Good news – we’ll be getting a new issue of Hardware every week.

3 Likes

I’ve gotta say, this video made me very sad :cry: It’s… Terrible that someone so talented with such a rich gift for storytelling left us without fully realizing himself.

3 Likes

I have been rewatching the Justice League Unlimited series with my kids. That is a top notch show, even today. His contributions to the Justice League are immense.

2 Likes

Still have the feature story on Milestone Media that I cut out of the local newspaper as a kid. It continues to inspire me to this day.

Mr. McDuffie’s story is one of profound reach, heart, brilliance, and love. I miss him very much.

:white_heart:

2 Likes

I will geek out over Dwayne anytime. This post is awesome. Ty @HubCityQuestion for that incredible list. I gotta make sure I batted 1,000 with those.

3 Likes

I always wished I had read the original Milestone stories. I can’t wait until they are all on DCUI.

3 Likes