52 that weekly success story

While I may not like a lot of things that DC slapped a 52 on-
The actual series 52 is incredible! I loved it when it was coming out and I’m loving the much lighter digital reread.

It’s possible this is one of the best things DC ever put out-

4 Likes

52 isn’t just a masterpiece, it’s a miracle. No massively collaborative effort on such a rigorous schedule has ever worked out so well. It’s one of the most impressive things to ever happen in comics.

Plus, The Question is in it, and that never hurts.

2 Likes

I think it’s no coincidence that Keith Giffen is considered the guiding light for the creative team.

1 Like

I literally just clicked over here from finishing reading it. All I can say is that it must’ve been agonizing waiting a whole week for each new issue. Every time I finished one, I couldn’t stop myself from clicking over to the next. It’s not perfect, but its flaws are nothing that can’t be forgiven based on the ludicrously tight schedule.

Basically, if you compare 52 and Countdown, you see that we got everything that could possibly go right with a weekly series and everything that could possibly go wrong with one, all in the span of a year. Part of that may be that they switched from a dedicated team of four writers to one guy backed up by a rotating team, which probably killed the flow and consistency of it.

Anyway, the point is that there’s something very human about 52. I think the multiple writers and subplots gave it a sort of consistency in its variety, if that makes any sense.

Having a jam piece with Geoff Johns, Mark Waid, Grant Morrison and more was indeed an impressive feat. 52 was one of my favorite series when it was a current book.

1 Like

I don’t know if it is the best thing DC ever put out, but I would definitely put it up there.

2 Likes