2023 Comic Reading Challenge

I am in for 2023! I read over 2k books last year and hoping for the same this year!

8 Likes

Day One: Ten comics. Love having the day off and a plan to do nothing but read and relax. :smile:

7 Likes

Sorry for the late responses, everyone.

I’ve always counted duplicates whenever I’ve had them. Fifteen times might be a bit excessive, but if it’s what you want then go for it.

Hmm… I’ve never been quite sure what to do about webcomics. I feel like something like Wayne Family Adventures should definitely count. I think my ruling is going to be that if it’s officially licensed and published, it counts. So personally I wouldn’t include Sonichu, given that it’s an unofficial fan work but there’s also nothing stopping you.

8 Likes

Nice. I have read 2 so far this year.

9 Likes

Welcome to the Community, @jimmcbee277.55825! It’s great to have you here. Starting off the new year with comics reading is a great way to go. :slight_smile: Let us know if there’s ever anything we can help you with!

6 Likes

I pay $99.99 a year for DCUI Ultra and every comic I read makes that a better and better deal. Last year was 812 comics, I believe, which means I paid about 12 cents per comic. Those are 1930s prices!

So far this year I’m at $24.99 per comic but that’ll drop soon, and dramatically, as I have the day off work and plan on reading some more comics to continue getting ready for Lazarus Planet and to get caught up on The New 52.

Updated per comic cost: $7.14 (not far off what a single comic would cost you at the comic shop!)

9 Likes

Welcome to the community! A good start to the year.

8 Likes

That’s so funny- I do the same thing.

I love it when it gets down to fractions of a cent per issue. That feels nice. :smile:

8 Likes

Last year I paid less than 3 cents per issue counting the costs of both DCUI and Marvel Unlimited.

8 Likes

Nice! I did the math wrong (unsurprising), but under 3 cents per issue is pretty sweet.

If they had a $5 cover price, that would be over $25,000 (I think), which is a lot.

That is some real savings there.

8 Likes

Wow! You and @SteveTrevor2.0 saved a fortune compared to what you’d have paid at the local comic shop!

7 Likes

I dont know how anyone affords physical copies of comics at today’s prices.

7 Likes

Right!?!

I allow myself two physical books a week. That keeps my house from being overwhelmed, lets me keep up on the current series without spoilers, supports my LCS and I like the internal debate of which two to get and which to wait until they land on DCUI. It’s a lot easier with Ultra now! 28 days compared to six months is a game-changer!

9 Likes

I’m currently reading Sandman. I picked it out when the big drop of ultra comics came out.

9 Likes

I’m going to try to do this this year. I want to read more comics, as I let that take a back burner place last year.

Read in 2023

Batman: Prelude to Knightfall GN (14 issues collected. Collects Batman: Vengeance of Bane #1, Batman #484-491 and Detective Comics #654-658.)
Artemis: Requiem 1-6
Batman: Knightfall Volume 1 (11 issues collected. features Batman #492-497 and Detective Comics #659-663)
Something is Killing the Children Volume 1 (Collects issues 1-5)
Something is Killing the Children Volume 2 (Collects issues 6-10)
Something is Killing the Children Volume 3
Something is Killing the Children Volume 4
Something is Killing the Children Volume 5
Gay Giant (Graphic Novel)
Herding Cats (Sarah Scribbles Graphic Novel)
Stargirl and the lost children 1-6
Avengers 1-4
Spider-Man 1-4
Young Justice Book 1
Ask Me About Polyamory: The Best of Kimchi Cuddles
Secret Life (graphic novel)
Dazzler 1-3
Secret Invasion 1-3
Spirit World 1
The Vigil 1
City Boy 1
Green Arrow 1
Twilight Children 1-4
Dawn of DC We are Legends Special Edition 1
Dawn of DC Knight Terrors 2023 FCBD Special Edition 1
Nightwing 101
Daytripper 1-9
Survivor’s Club 1-9
Savage She-Hulk 1-25
Checkmate (1987) 1-33
Teen Titans (2003) 1-7
World’s Finest: Teen Titans 1
Warlord 1-6
Blue Beetle (1967) 1-5
Global Frequency 1
Goddess Mode 1-6
Steelworks 1
DC Pride Through the Years 1
Nice House on the Lake 7-12
The Authority (1999) 1
Titans (2023) 1
Far Sector 1-2
Superboy: Man of Tomorrow 1
Unstoppable Doom Patrol 1-2
Flash: The Fastest Man Alive 1
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You 40
Tim Drake: Robin 1
Green Arrow (2023) 1
Teen Titans (1963) 1-3
The New Champion of Shazam 1-4
Shade, The Changing Girl 1-12
Milk Wars 1-5
Excalibur (1988) 1

9 Likes

That is 3 Hawkman issues read. I remember when @Row.Harper said I read nothing but Hawkman and Stargirl. I guess this year I figure out how accurate that is.

8 Likes

By only getting what actually really want or sharing them with somebody else.

7 Likes

Dark Crisis: Young Justice 1-5

This comic was so weird.

9 Likes

This is fun. I’m at 22 so far this year. 2023 is a good goal, but may be a hair too high - we’ll see.

So far all are DCU, so that puts my rate per issue at $4.55 an issue - which is not far from cover price.

Summary
  1. Artemis: Requiem 1
  2. Batman (2016): 130
  3. Batman/Superman: World’s Finest 5
  4. Catwoman (2018): 25
  5. Crime Syndicate 5
  6. Deathstroke Inc 2-4
  7. Flash (2016): 772-774
  8. Future State: Superman: House of El 1
  9. Green Lantern (2021) 5
  10. Justice League (2018) 65
  11. New Champion of Shazam 1
  12. Nightwing (2016) 78-80
  13. Robin (2021) 8-9 Annual 2021
  14. Teen Titans Academy 12
9 Likes

Random question about this event, is it mainly a Batman event or is this a huge DC event? I have sort of been out of the loop when it comes to this series. I believe that Waid’s Batman Robin book leads into this but I haven’t been reading that either.

6 Likes