2021 Comic Reading Challenge

Boris the Bear! Never read it but it looked interesting.

5 Likes

HA! that was a book from the comicshop heyday of the 80s. His shtick for most of the series was he was a “funny animal” that ran around wiping out other funny animals which were EVERYWHERE because of the TMNT craze i.e. radioactive hamsters, miami mice,cerebus even. I went closet surfin back on mother’s day when I visited the folks, dug out alot of golden oldies. Been meanin to post up some pics

4 Likes

I am so old…sigh

4 Likes

4 Likes

That looks like a fun treasure trove! I love the Elfquest cover.

My brother was crazy into V. Ah heck, if I’m honest I loved it too.

6 Likes

updated

2 Likes

whats wrong with damian he is actually really cool

2 Likes

The thing with Damien, I always felt, wasnt a personal issue, more of a “we prefer Tim Drake”. Damien’s really just a younger, snotty I’m always right because I’m Batman, Batman. I dont mind him a bit, just worried that he’s gonna stay EXACTLY this way for the next 20+ years. Kids dont really get to grow or change much in funnybooks, look at Franklin Richards.

4 Likes

Anywhat, here in the middle of Ohio, we’ve hit peak hammock weather. It’s hot, but not horrible, cloudy but not all-clouds, here soon stuff goes all 90s+ or all rain till no rain and miserable, so…this is as good as it gets. Print rules the day, I’ll be in the backyard if anybody needs me

4 Likes

So, first of all, he’s an insufferable jerk who thought he was entitled to be Robin because he was Batman’s biological kid. And… he’s just sort of given that. Even though he tried to kill Tim and did kill the Spook. So, that’s kind of terrible to begin with; characters constantly bend over backwards to feed his entitlement complex for no clear reason. Which comes across like writers honestly believe he’s more worthy because he’s not adopted, so screw that too.

He’s also just… a really unpleasant person. Like, entitled, condescending people are annoying in real life, so I don’t understand how so many people find it charming in a fictional character.

And Damian has nearly the same backstory as Cassandra Cain, except instead of suffering for his skill and becoming a hero because he’s a good person, he was spoiled and became a “hero” for no real reason at all. And this cheap knockoff of Cass who misses the point of what’s interesting about her was dragged into canon immediately after editorial had Cass written out in a really disrespectful way.

And subsequently, he also occasionally refrains from engaging in all of this obnoxious behavior, and his fans call that character development. But it’s not like he’s learning a lesson, it’s just his character traits (annoying though they are) evaporating.

So, what’s wrong with Damian is everything.

4 Likes

Catwoman: 12 issues from 2007
Writer: Will Pfeifer
This title seems to have momentarily restrained itself from doing anything flagrantly obnoxious (other than following up on its own pre-established obnoxious plot points), I guess.

The biggest problem with this run is that it spends vast stretches focusing on really intensely uninteresting villains. Film Freak got old long before he got done, and Hammer and Sickle are basically just generic bruisers who can arbitrarily tank anything anybody does to them.

And then we do, of all bizarre things, Amazons Attack tie-ins. Which manage to layer more nonsense into an already insane event. I don’t think what’s up with the Bana was ever explained, but they’re, uh, certainly not their usual selves in any case.

This also marks the second unnecessary two-parter starting with an out-of-context scene from the middle of the story for no reason. Weird.

Also, between Beechen’s Robin and Pfeifer’s Catwoman, what is it with bad runs and having actually surprisingly solid Batman characterization all of a sudden?

Avengers: 10 issues from 1986
Writer: Roger Stern

Review

ERROR: batjamags.exe is too busy laughing at the Beyonder’s fashion sense to write a review. Please try again later.

Skipping the Under Siege arc because I’ve already read it, but it was good enough that I went back to read the whole run.

West Coast Avengers: 2 issues from 1986
Writer: Steve Englehart

Review

This Tigra subplot is way overextended, and I’m not sure how some of the things she does relate to becoming more catlike. That’s about all that happens in these two issues.

5 Likes

Damian’s mom has got it goin on…

4 Likes

:nauseated_face:

2 Likes

are you really giving Damian ■■■■ for killing.you do realize that Damian at the time was under Talia´s influence and he was told all his life to kill those who stood in his way he thought just like with Talia that he had to kill to earn batman approval. and you also realize the fact that damian is a kid who isn´t fifteen nor an adult. a literal child he´s like what 12 who was made to commit atrocities by his evil mother who even killed him there are prime exmples on where he is like that.

it also makes sense for a child to feel entitled when his parents are literally the most powerful people on the planet he was treated like a god since he was a baby. besides all children are arrogant insufferable jerks he is just acting his age especially when damian is a messed up person hell he is a very weak and insecure character who dosen´t like to talk about his feeling, as someone who can relate to that ,that is why I like him.
besides I don´t see him as entitled anymore because he literally quit the robin mantle because he was tired of Batman´s shitty behavior and just so you could get your 90´s self insert white boy Tim Drake. to this day Damian still dosen´t live in a healthy environment. he is a kid who isn´t okay in the head especially after recent events. its those flaws that make his already amazing story arcs a lot more better because he is someone who another´s influence changes him and Bruce isn´t really doing anything to be a father
so the least you could do is understand.

hell even if you don´t like comic damian maybe his animated versions will do him justice for you

3 Likes

Ive always been neutral on Damian. He’s just there for me. Whats kept me from really WANTING to read Damian stories is he has more of a shtick than character. Like readin old Green Arrow stories, he was ALWAYS the crusading liberal, that and loving Black Canary was his whole deal. Damian, so far, has just been a mini-batman to me.

6 Likes

yes a mini batman but a very funny person, and someone who can move on.

event leviathan

5 Likes

I finished the years 1947-1950. Not to much to read in these years. Off to 1951

Summary

DC Comics
All-Star Comics #34,35,36,37,38,50,51,54,55,56,57
Batman #40,41,42,43,44,45,46,59
Detective comics #121,122,123,124,125,126,127,128,129,130,131,132
Wonder Woman #41,45
World’s Finest Comics #27,28,29,30,31,32
Marvel Comics
Blonde Phantom #17
Human Torch Comics #28,30
Marvel Boy #1
Marvel Mystery Comics #82,84,85,86,90,91
Namora #1,2,3
Sub-Mariner Comics #22,23,24,26,27,28,29,30,32
Venus #1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

Total Comics 70
Total Comics (2021) 463

7 Likes

I can’t believe I lost my challenge…

3 Likes

Wonder Woman 42 just got uploaded!

6 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. Just added it to my reading list.

5 Likes