Zack Snyder’s Justice League or James Gunn’s The Suicide Squad?

I would say Harcourt and Crawley actively engaged the plot as well. In fact, without Flo, Starro would likely have successfully conquered, requiring a drastic shift to Black Adam’s story until Flash could reset continuity.

fair enough but the point still stands, suicide squad had a pretty even split on gender whereas Justice league despite having more time really only had one maybe two active female charcters the rest existed to simply move along the male charcters storylines

1 Like

Yes, I was extending your point, not trying to contradict it.

1 Like

yeah,I know were cool dude :slight_smile:

1 Like

Boomerang, Rick Flag, and Polka-Dot Man weren’t a slipnot though. If stakes didn’t exist then neither one of those characters would’ve been killed off and those were characters a lot of people liked. Boomerang and Rick Flag especially were main characters on the Squad in a lot of comics and pretty much ended up living even.

In terms of the story, it made sense because everyone who died in the beginning were the distraction for team 2 to infiltrate the island without being detected. For the characters who lasted towards the end, they had the capabilities in order to live and fight for themselves so basically no plot armor existed for them through the entire film.

2 Likes

Boomerang was killed off to sort of signify that this film had nothing to do with the previous one. Rick Flagg’s death was sort of compelling. But then they erased the significance of his sacrifice by not releasing the information to the public. Polka’s death came out of nowhere, and I didn’t really care for him because he didn’t have enough scenes in the movie

1 Like

In this film, Boomerang was certainly a Slipknot. He died at the very start of the film, and the only reason anyone would expect otherwise is because he was in the first film.

Rick Flag and Polka-Dot Man die at the end of the film, much like El Diablo in Ayer’s film. No one of importance dies in the middle of the film, so there are no real stakes.

It’s not a sequel yes, but it’s also not a reboot. Although, they do make references to the first movie speaking of the fact of how Flag mentioned both Boomerang and Harley have worked with each other before. Harley even nods to the fact that Boomer and Flag were her friends.

Agreed wasn’t too crazy for Polka-Dot Man, but I personally thought he got plenty of scenes.

I think you’re missing the point I’m trying to say. Are you saying that you didn’t like how Gunn killed off characters in the start of the film?That seemed good to me. Boomer and Flag wouldn’t have died regardless because they were important on the team in the comics. James Gunn raised the stakes because he killed them off despite their comic history and popularity. It’s to show that absolutely no one is safe in this movie.

No one important dies in the middle because they were wearing disguises most of time in order to get to the thinker so in terms of combat that wasn’t really concerning at that point. Even though no one dies in the middle doesn’t mean that staked aren’t involved depending on how the story is going. If you are referring to a character like Harley not being killed well that can be justified.

1 Like

I don’t have a problem with a whole bunch of Z-Grade villains being killed off at the beginning of the film. I do have a problem with everyone else surviving until Starro’s escape.

Here are various places where our characters could’ve died:

• the team’s attack on the rebel camp (all)
  • the team’s arrest at the club (Bloodsport, Flag, Peacemaker)
  • the team’s abduction of Thinker from the club (Ratcatcher, Polka-Dot Man)
  • Harley’s initial arrest (Harley)
  • Harley’s second arrest (Harley)
  • Harley’s torture (Harley)
  • Harley’s escape (Harley)
  • the team’s rescue attempt for Harley (all)

Somehow, there wasn’t a single casualty at any point in there. Perhaps Ratcatcher could’ve died at the club, forcing Bloodsport to work with the rats in spite of his phobia during the final fight against Starro. Perhaps Boomerang could’ve escaped during the beach scene so that he could’ve died later in a failed attempt to rescue Harley. I dunno. Just SOMETHING to make the characters feel less than invincible before the third act.

1 Like

Okay before I get into the reasoning, like I said these characters have justifiable reasons due to their own unique set of abilities.

You have to remember though that these are (at least some) world known villains and you’re putting them against soldiers who aren’t really ready for what they can actually do. Bloodsport put Superman in the ICU with a kryptonite bullet along with having marksman and combat experience. Peacemaker also has a lot of similar capabilities to Bloodsport. King Shark is a vicious oversized man eating shark. Ratcatcher didn’t really involve herself in the rebel attack nor any fight since they did most of the work but she controls rodents which is basically her true offense and defense. Every time Polka-Dot Man shoots those are high tech explosives. When the team infiltrated the rebel camp, it was more so like a stealth mission so they weren’t really detected at all. Especially since Bloodsport and Peacemaker took out most of them. Idk how Ratcatcher nor Polka-Dot Man could’ve died because they had the thinker but that’s just me.

True, Harley could’ve died in her initial arrest along with everyone else who was killed on the beach but Luna wanted her alive because he wanted to marry her. That’s justified. They didn’t kill on her second arrest because they wanted information about all the other members since she basically exposed herself after shooting Luna. That’s justified. Harley is crazy enough that she can endure large amounts of pain since it’s an enjoyable and rather welcoming feeling for her. Due to her years of cruelty from the Joker also, it’s kind of nothing to her. That’s justified. For her escape, she’s a ruthless psychopath. Not everyone needs to be trained by a martial artist. She’s just a go in dirty brutal brawler. On top of being a trained gymnast for so many years. You have to realize she’s a different persona from Harleen Quinzel. This isn’t her first mission nor first brawl. In the comics and animations she’s fought hand to hand against combatants such as Batman, Nightwing, Catwoman, and other DC characters. If she didn’t win, she definitely held her own. She’s done this a lot in the comics which also makes her entire escape justified.

There isn’t really a reason as to why to kill someone off when they’re trying to rescue Harley because no one was really around nor any reason brought up to. Even though a lot of these villains and anti heroes are expendable, some of which are quite deadly on their own.

1 Like

Yeah, why not spread the deaths out to increase the tension? It wasn’t really a case of anyone can die at any time. If you make it past the first 15 minutes, your odds are pretty good

1 Like

I thought there were a hundred different elements of Suicide Squad that ran rings around anything in the Snyder Cut, but just the basics of how you invest the audience in your story was better achieved in Snyder Cut, for me.

Note that my expectations going in to each were 100% different, so there’s some “pleasantly surprised, un-pleasantly surprised” figures in a bit

I should also note that the relief of a movie Not Sucking forms a more powerful attachment than a good movie mostly living up to its strong reviews

These two videos perfectly captures what I thought about THE suicide squad.

Even though they sort of contradict each other a little bit. Lol

2 Likes

Although I loved them both, I have to go with Justice League, because they have always been, and always will be my favorite characters.
But again, I still enjoyed them both.

2 Likes

I think both are fantastic. Snyder’s JL gets my vote because it really gets to me emotionally. And I love the structure of it. I feel like TSS is definitely more of crowd pleaser just because its so much lighter.

3 Likes

Justice League! The Suicide Squad was great, funny and really well made imo, but seeing Zack Snyder’s Justice League is just ICONIC.

JL
tumblr_8abe69e4c77dcdad57f062bc2b523b8f_5f1346de_500
tumblr_0f0a844e0eb279b67d3e5121342cea03_4e9ef599_540

Can’t even explain the excitement I had when I saw the League, Martian Manhunter, and A LANTERN?!
Or when this menace appeared on screen !
tumblr_11eb14656e06db9677e5aa8f3ae70da3_dac506a3_540

Definitely JL.

3 Likes

This question is just a little confusing to me. I don’t see how you can really even compare these movies. I mean, yes they’re both DC films, but beyond that they’re completely different. Different tones, length, characters, styles, goals, etc.

It’s like asking us to choose between Nightmare on Elm Street and Toy Story. Like, they can both be very good and nothing’s really gained from placing one over the other. Maybe we can compare them on cinematic technique’s/merits and try to decide the “objectively” best movie, but I don’t see really what’s gained from that.

I say just enjoy what you enjoy and try not to force comparisons like this.

People compare stuff all the time man…I don’t really understand what’s being “forced” by this post? Did you like the hero movie or did you like the villain movie? That’s all I was asking.

1 Like