Your “Go-To” Re-Read?

I’ve actually re-read Johns’ Aquaman quite a few times. It’s a bit more contained than some of my other favorite runs, and I miss those versions of the characters.

6 Likes

Batman: Year Two

4 Likes

Those would be my most re read Batman comics.

6 Likes

Denny O’Neil’s The Question, and Neil Gaiman’s The Sandman. I get something new out of them every time.

5 Likes

Red Hood and the Outlaws Rebirth volume 1… and 2, 3, and 4 if I have time.

Also both volumes of Gotham City Sirens.

6 Likes

How are you counting volumes?

4 Likes

Top 3

Honorable Mentions:

Batman and Robin (2011)
Midnighter and Apollo (2016)

9 Likes

I buy them in volume form at places like BAM and Barnes and Noble. I don’t buy them as single issues.

Here’s a picture to show what I mean:

I do this so that way I don’t have to make sure I get every single issue every month they come out, especially since I don’t go to the bookstore or my LCS very often because of how busy I am IRL. Volumes are like, the total package, and there are no advertisements in between pages. Volumes will also include extra volumes, such as annual or holiday themed specials (or if you’re the Harley Quinn solo series, the first issue of Old Lady Harley for a taste of what that’s about). The only downside is that I have to wait a while until an arch is over and it gets published as a volume, and if my local bookstores has it in stock. Volumes are often referred to as Graphic Novels.

Obviously, DCUI is easier and more convenient, but this is the case if I want a physical copy of my favorite stories.

9 Likes

Starfire (2015)

The whole series!

9 Likes

The Dark Knight Returns,
Batman: Year One
Batman : Strange Apparitions
The Shadow War of Hawkman.

8 Likes

Ooooh. That’s the good stuff. I own the graphic novels but was looking at getting the omnibuses (new editions of things I love is one of my many weaknesses).

The second omnibus comes out at the end of the month. They are around 1,500 pages each and contain all kinds of extras. Must….resist…post-Christmas….purchase!

5 Likes

I doubled dipped and bought the V1 omnibus to replace my trades. Can’t wait for V2. Did you like his Jon Sable? I’m waiting on a omnibus from his recent Kickstarter.

4 Likes

I can’t say that I blame you in the least.

Haven’t read any of Grell’s other work. If it is on DCUI or MU that will change.

4 Likes

You should check out his Jon Sable, Freelance. It has the same vibe as his Green Arrow with adult characters and street level heroics. I highly recommend it. If your familiar with ‘80s TV it is similar to The Equalizer or the ‘00s it’s like Burn Notice. Not too expensive to check out. Look for deals in you LCS’s $1.00 bins.

Includes Jon Sable, Freelance #1-6 $16.53

Includes Jon Sable, Freelance #1-16 $24.99

4 Likes

I will have to keep an eye out for this. I do enjoy looking through the dollar racks. Never know what you might find in there!

4 Likes

A few of my go-tos:

Superman:

:superman: The Death and Return of Superman
:superman: Jeph Loeb’s run on Superman/Batman (issues 1-26, with an emphasis on #s 8-13)
:superman: The entirety of the Rebirth volume of Superman

Batman:

:batman: Hush
:batman: Englehart and Rogers on 'Tec
:batman: Jim Aparo-drawn issues of The Brave and The Bold

Wonder Woman:

:wonderwoman: The Odyssey
:wonderwoman: George Perez’s run on Wonder Woman volume 2
:wonderwoman: The entirety of the New 52 volume of Wonder Woman

Green Lantern:
:00_lc_green_lantern: The Sinestro Corps War

Fourth World:
:large_blue_circle: The New Gods volume 1
:large_blue_circle: Mister Miracle volume 1

Wildstorm:

:00_shazam: Divine Right: The Adventures of Max Faraday
:00_shazam: The Authority volume 1

5 Likes

Sooo good!

7 Likes

Oh, yeah. Definitely one of my all-time favorite runs on 'Tec v1.

I used to have the Strange Apparitions trade in the mid-00s, and it was one of my most-read Batman trades of the time. I just loved it.

Speaking of 'Tec and go-tos…

Another of mine is City of Crime, from 2005 (for any who haven’t read that, it begins with a prelude at the end of 'Tec #800 and then fully begins in #801).

'Tec was my go-to Bat-book in the summer of 2005 as I geeked out to Batman Begins, so City of Crime holds a special place of reverence for me.

4 Likes

Well, a lot of my re-reads are more referencing for fanworks (fiction).
however right now my actual re reads:

I enjoy just flipping through DC black Lable Batman/Catwoman limited series as I always notice something new in the artwork from Catwoman zipper changing from her now-classic ring to strait, to literally the joker is never quite drawn the same way twice. plus it has kept me speculating (I hate the next cover it has been revealed on amazon kindle) and it keeps you guessing.

Batman Volume 3 batman annual number 2
Batman vol 3 issue 37,68
Catwoman 80th anniversary story Helena (also by Tom King)

the secret origin of Huntress. and it rips my heart out every time.

Bat and the cat 80 years of romance (yes I am obsessed with BatCat but i also just enjoy stories where batman gets to be happy.)
The Wayne Family chronicles.
Dark Knights of Steel, I have read both issues at least twice.
i am likely going to be re-reading batgirls as it’s the kind of crazy I greatly enjoy. (i just read it at 11:45 PM.) and read the sneak preview 4 times (from the books it was previewed in)

However movies…ya I tend to listen to the movies a lot, go to is Justice League dark AW, Gotham by gaslight, The long Halloween 1 and 2, and Injustice, dark knight rises, batman year one (i did state I am obsessed with BatCat :grin:).

4 Likes

Batman: The Killing Joke, Batman: Three Jokers, and Batman: Death Of The Family.

Killing Joke is the birth of the modern Joker and does a great job at defining Batman and the Joker as more alike than different. Two intelligent people who both had one bad day that shattered their lives and transformed them in extreme ways. With the only real difference being that Batman’s bad day lead him to pursue order while Joker’s bad day lead him to pursue nihilism. Establishing the Joker as the polar opposite of Batman on an ideological level and thus fully fleshing him out as deserving of the title of Batman’s Arch Villain.

These are my two favorite Joker comics. The Killing Joke is my intellectual favorite while Death Of The Family is my emotional favorite.

Coming from a Horror background, I always wanted to see the Joker ‘go there’ and see a take on the Joker as a Horror Villain. See him as this personal, nightmarish, taunting force. He’s always had these elements to him. But, it was amazing to finally see a team take this style of Joker over the top. Every step along the way was an amazing read and I hope this gets an animation someday.

Three Jokers is a solid fallow up to The Killing Joke. It divides Joker up in a way that makes sense to me with his history in the comics. That being Golden Age, Silver Age, and Modern.

4 Likes