Your First Purchase

Spectacular Spider-man (I forget the issue number but it had Shocker and Electro) when I was a kid.

2 Likes

My first comic book purchase? I remember it like it was yesterday; Batman #183, cover date August 1966. It’s the second appearance of Poison Ivy. It’s here on the app with Batman #181 (Poison Ivy’s first appearance). Check them both out, they’re pure Silver Age gold.

9 Likes

Batgirl Rebirth.

3 Likes

7 Likes

@Kon-El: What a great first comic book purchase. John Byrne’s Man of Steel should still be the definitive origin of Superman. And his depiction of Superman and The Batman meeting for the first time is a classic. What great storytelling, beautiful artwork, spot-on characterizations and totally bereft on noxious nihilism and needles angst… Someone should send this comic–this whole series to Bendis–and say, “See, this is how it’s done right!”.

5 Likes

Back in the beginning of time. Mom got me these when we went to visit my aunt and uncle who lived two hours away.

4 Likes

SPINNER RACKS! I’m pretty sure my first comic came from 711. They carried Predator, Mortal Kombat and other titles lol.

2 Likes

…Not Spider-Man

3 Likes

20 cent comics?! By my calculations that makes you at least…over 10 years old! :rofl:

4 Likes

lmao oh yeah. What really threw me off was the fact that the comic had Spiderman characters in it. I just thought his suit looked different! I got to read Joe Kelly’s Deadpool run in it’s entirety years later.

2 Likes

That’s right about the time I stopped buying comics. :grinning:

2 Likes

Lol, we’re you not traumatized as an 8 year old?

2 Likes

@Bukdiah Actually, I was 10 years old at that time (1972). :grinning:

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I didn’t understand any of the humor and just looked at the pages. I vividly remember having the spine taped up from me looking at it so much lol. I wish I still had it for old times sake.

2 Likes

BTW, is that chondroitin supplement working out for you?

2 Likes

That’s crazy, I never had comics when I was younger. My first ever my mom bought me for Christmas (I was going through a graphic novel phase, though I had never read any dc or marvel) and it was Batman/TMNT.

2 Likes

I don’t know, I keep forgetting to take it because I forget my ginkgo biloba.

2 Likes

I didn’t know there had been a Batman/TMNT comic till I saw the movie at a Redbox.

2 Likes

As in the most recent crossover with IDW?

I had a Batman vs Predator TPB (still have water damaged one with the last page missing…) back when Predator 2 was out. I was super young at the time but surprisingly my father never cared if I saw R rated movies. “Pulling skulls outta bodies? That’s fine, but don’t let me see you watching boobs!” :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

If you’ll set a reminder on your phone to take melatonin and magnesium glycinate at bedtime I bet you’d feel more focused in the morning. Then you’ll be able to remember the ginkgo bilbo. Don’t give up, buddy!! :wink:

2 Likes