Your First Purchase

Anybody remember the first comic book they bought? I had to special order a copy (before simplicity of Amazon) of ‘Crisis on Infinite Earths’ for pickup at my nearest comic shop, which was 30 minutes away, needless to say nothing was the same.

8 Likes

My first comic was GIJoe #51. My mom gave it to me for a family trip.
The first DC comic I bought with my own money was Invasion #3. I think I rode my bike back down to the comic shop that very day and picked up #1 and 2.

5 Likes

Sure do, @JulianPope! It was this jammer right here.

7 Likes

Nightwing #1 (2011)

4 Likes

Bought two books on my first comic shopping day. Batman: Year One, and The man who laughs. The rest is history.

3 Likes

First DC comic was the first of Tim’s ‘93 run (I didn’t buy it new, but I can’t remember how old it was at the time).

Very first comic ever was the first compilation graphic novel of Eastman and Laird’s TMNT, as well as whatever was the newest issue of TMNT Adventures (the more kiddy-fied run). I don’t remember what issue it was, but I think Raph punches Hitler…?

5 Likes

My first was an original copy of The Killing Joke from 1988 plus some issues like Batman: The Return and some Batman and Robin issues by Tomasi. I loved The Killing Joke and I started to really get into comics.

7 Likes

My first single issue I ever bought from DC was Justice League International #9, which I bought because of this great cover.

-C

5 Likes

Batman #679
Image result for miracle on crime alley

5 Likes

Picked it up in 1989. I bought the first three issues with B-day money and then became a super nerd from then on.
Still have my beat up copy, but got George Perez to sign a 9.8 copy and had it slabbed.

8 Likes

I love my beat up copies. You can really tell which comics I loved.

6 Likes

Such a great point. Me too, @harley.333! My Batman ‘66 Meets the Green Hornet book is pretty worn compared to the others. I like to open it full and dive in!

2 Likes

Super Sons #10

2 Likes

My parents didn’t quite approve of DC or Marvel proper but I remember I was allowed to get one of these as my first comic book from the grocery store!

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/captain-planet-and-the-planeteers/4050-4584/

2 Likes

Oh yeah, my first book, with my own money, Amazing Spiderman #262. Before that, it was beggin mom to bring home books from the convenience store she worked at. First series i remember gettin hooked on was Swamp Thing v2, issue 2. All because of that photo cover.

3 Likes

I can’t remember the first comic I ever purchased myself, but I’ll never forget the first comic I ever read:

Exact replica from the Batman Masterpiece Edition that hit shelves back in the early 2000’s. Still have it, and for what it’s been through, it’s holding up significantly well :blush:

5 Likes

Well, technically it was Death Of Superman. But that was the entire story. The first physical comic I owned was Super Sons.

4 Likes

Superman (2011) #1 on Comixology. That’s how it all started for me.

3 Likes

I was around 8 years old and thought he was Spiderman…

7 Likes

Batman #289, my Grandpa let me pick a comic off the spinner rack. At 3 years old I was hooked.

4 Likes