Your favorite Superman story from a Superman title.

@Don-El I have to agree, I do to.

2 Likes

Wow, Marty Pasko, Superman writer of the 70s and 80s that I enjoyed, is almost exactly my age by one month. Poor guy!

(Wikipedia)

Pasko was the featured Superman writer from 1977–1979. DC Comics Presents, a team-up title starring Superman, was launched in 1978 by Pasko and artist José Luis García-López. Pasko and Curt Swan created the Atomic Skull in Superman #323 (May 1978) and the Master Jailer in Superman #331 (January 1979).

From 1979–1982, Pasko contributed stories to the Superman Family anthology title, including runs as the regular writer of the Jimmy Olsen and Supergirl features.

In addition, during 1978 and 1979, Pasko scripted the syndicated newspaper comic strip The World’s Greatest Superheroes which initially starred Superman, Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman, and The Flash, but gradually changed its focus to primarily feature Superman.

Pasko began a long career in television animation in 1980, writing several episodes of Thundarr the Barbarian with Steve Gerber. Woo hooo!

Pasko finalized a deal to join Warner Bros. Animation’s Batman: The Animated Series as a writer/story editor. For his work on this series, Pasko won a 1993 Daytime Emmy Award. He is a co-writer of the animated feature Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

2 Likes

For me, it’s The Last Days of Superman, from Superman (vol. 1) #156. I’m assuming by “Superman title”, you mean an ongoing, mainline title, not a limited series. If it was a limited series, then All-Star Superman all the way.

4 Likes

@Batwing 52 By “Superman title” I mean any ol’ book that stars Superman himself and/or other characters that are part of the Superman franchise.

Ongoings, mini-series, maxi-series, one-shots (Annuals and the like), etc. They’re all under the “Superman title” umbrella =-)

2 Likes

All-Star Superman hands down. Best Superman story ever.

2 Likes

There’s an amazing issue of Action Comics by Joe Kelly, it’s issue #792 involving a missing news vendor. It’s a simple story with a gut punch of an ending.

3 Likes

Golden Age Superman

3 Likes

@superby1 That is a good issue. Props for recommending it!

There’s some really fun stuff in those early 00’s issues of Action.

1 Like

@vroom thank you very much! Yea, those early 2000’s Superman books had some really good stuff in them. I was always partial to Kelly’s Action Comics run. I loved the Russian Zod storyline

Superman Joins The Army

The Fattest Girl in Metropolis

@superby1 I like most, if not all, of Joe Kelly’s DC work. Especially Justice League Elite.

All-Star Superman
For All Seasons
Secret Origins
For Tomorrow

Some of my choices will be off the beaten path. In no particular order

• Superman: For Tomorrow
  • Unity Saga (current Bendis run)
  • Superman: Doomed
  • Kingdom Come (I know, it’s an ensemble story…but Superman is the anchor)
  • Superman Unchained
  • All Star Superman
  • Superman Reborn
  • Death & Return of Superman
  • Superman Brainiac
  • Superman Earth One

Have a feeling Superman Year One will make it to the list, but the jury is still out on that one. If the next two are as good as the first one, then yeah.

I also have to give Superman:Secret Identity a nod. It was a simple but heartfelt story by Kurt Busiek that I feel doesn’t get a lot of love. It came out around the same time as Red Son which dominated the Superman discussions. Red Son is okay but if I had to pick one that stands out above the rest in terms of story and re-readability, it has to go to Secret Identity.

A few other modest degree favorites:

-Denny O’Neil’s run on Superman
-Dead Again
-the Superman Blue and Red stories
-Y2K
-Godfall

1 Like

Easy. Superman #162’s “The Amazing Story of Superman-Red and Superman-Blue” hands down!

1 Like

This is a good one, but a tough one. Fifty-three years of reading Superman is difficult to condense into any list but I’ll give it the old college try.
Superman stories (more than one issue):
Man of Steel by John Byrne
The Sandman Saga (recognized as the first Bronze Age Superman story) by Denny O’Neil, Curt Swan, and Murphy Anderson
Red Son (the “finest Elseworlds” story)
The Death and Return of Superman
Whatever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow
Superman and The Legion of Super-Heroes by Johns and Frank
Superman and The New Gods by Byrne and Giordano
The Miraculous Return of Jonathan Kent (Action Comics #’ 507 & 508) by Bates and Swan
I know there are plenty more but those gems are the first to come to mind
And if I may I would like to list single issues that are among my all-time favorites from the Silver and Bronze Ages:
Superman #141, Superman’s Return to Krypton
Superman#149, The Death of Superman
Superman #156, The Last Days of Superman
Superman #167 The Team of Luthor and Brainiac
Superman #199 Superman’s Race With The Flash
Superman #220 Who Stole My Super-Powers? (Supes and the Flash again)
Superman Spectacular 1977 (one of those great Dollar Comics from the period, Thanks Jeanette Kahn)
Action Comics #500 The Life Story of Superman (everything you ever wanted to know about the Silver/Bronze Age Superman)
And finally, thanks Vroom for posting this wonderful thread that took me on a needed trip down memory lane.

2 Likes

@baseballmaniac01 You’re welcome, glad you’ve enjoyed it.

For more Superman reading fun, there’s the Superman Book Club too :wink:

1 Like

Yeah that D. O’Neill Sandman one was super cool from the very beginnings of the Bronze Age… I seem to recall a little Neal Adams touch on that one, probably just the covers. I do believe it’s in the library here.

1 Like

Superman #233 is the beginning of O’Neil’s run and it is here, as are #'s 234-238 and 240.

Curious that 239 was skipped over.

1 Like