Your Custom DC Creations - Share Your Ideas and Tips

This thread will be for FUN DC Creations: everything tangible, hand-made or customized/partially custom-made by - or wanting to be made/modified by community members here - but including the entire universe (e.g. you sew or stitch, or know people who do in your personal life, or you make custom bindings for your floppies, or you simply customize further some collectible you bought - for example, putting together you own play set, diorama, etc.)

Let’s use this thread as a way for people who are building up their collections of DC items to share ideas, as well as help point out where they could source, for example parts and pieces that they are looking for for their projects, or how to assemble things (e.g. assistance from the hobbyist and craft makers already here).

Lets also use this as a thread to show people on how to make certain items as well, or to post tutorials in how to build certain props.

Similar to/different from:

7 Likes

My collection of custom Lego DC fig attempts. Some are in progress, others aren’t. Planning better Anarky, Zsasz, and Ventriloquist in particular. I’m totally open to suggestions. Improving them and making them from spares and doubles is a pass time of mine. I have others and I’m always tinkering.

Left to right, top to bottom is Steel, Oracle, Capt Clown, Karate Kid, Roy Harper, Anarky, Lord Death Man, Ratcatcher, Max Zeus, Phantom Stranger, Mr Freeze (Batman adventures, I have a mech too), Thoth Khepera, Creeper, Deacon Blackfire (Arkham), Mr Zsasz, Metallo, Scarface, Ventriloquist, Firefly, Ratcatcher I, and Renee Montoya.

7 Likes

One of my fathers hobbies is making custom jewelry. So when he asked me what I’d like, I knew exactly what I wanted :grin: I couldn’t help anyone with tips, because I have no clue how he did it- I just love it so much, and thought it would fit in with the posts here.

7 Likes

Those are all spectacular (I LOVE that Mr. Freeze!!). Well done!

5 Likes

Thanks! I have a head for Freeze but it is currently on his body.

6 Likes

Those are all great! I love custom minifigs, they’re one of my favorite things to see at conventions.

6 Likes

I made a gameboard thing. Just a random screen shot from first level messing around in vr.

6 Likes

What is game board thing? That’s a custom background for a video game? Or does that physically exist (like a diorama or a play set?) - I know what a ‘game board’ is when we are talking about board games, otherwise I’m sorry, I don’t catch the reference but that’s looks like what a former roommate who used to do matte backgrounds for EFX film projects used to create, but he also sometimes had to make (or help the crafts/production people) physically create it, typically as a miniature, for a practical EFX shot.

4 Likes

yeah it’s a set I use for 3d presentations. I guess it’s like a 3d boardgame that you can play on the monitor or put the vr headset on and play like a video game if you want, no code for actual game just some simple presets to move pieces around and some other stuff like health and power if you want I guess. It was part of an idea for an old board game I made on here with members and were trying to make it useable with the limitations of the DCU(I) site. I’m using the overall principle/rules for a science game but just threw a slight DC twist to it. It’s all apart of this other project I’ve been working on.

5 Likes

idea was to use the Kelex roll function to complement the 3d board and up date moves as you go on thread.
Floating header with edit so game could be easily updated and users wouldn’t need to find current board post would be ideal or just keep editing board on top post.

4 Likes

Very nice! The fountain looks particularly difficult but is perfect! Sounds like a fun game.

Anyone know of DC characters with yellow skin/ full life like masks that aren’t Creeper, Anarky or Starfire? I have a drawer full of Lego heads I can’t find any use for.

4 Likes

Thank you.

3 Likes

Yep - it’s very cool. I’ve seen people make demonstration videos of games and during the pandemic, a discord I belonged to made up a form of those Card Games Against Humanity - but it wasn’t specifically DC based, and a number of those guys were very much 90s X-Baby’s (although some of them weren’t alive or reading even kids books when the books were published!) so it was Marble, plus other stuff (Conan, Hell Boy and a lot of vidya, which often threw me, since I wasn’t into it and thus not knowledgeable when we played - so they treated that as an expansion pact depending on who was playing).

We also used something like Kelex to deal the cards - I can’t remember the specifics now, as I quit that discord about 18 months ago, after some people invited loads more (and very much a bunch of annoying people) post lock-down, but when we were a small tight group of about 40, it was lot of fun to do stuff like that.

4 Likes

Had a laugh reading this.
yeah that’s what I was going for, even set up the discord because it seemed a more streamline way to play than on here.

4 Likes

Here’s some of my other DC crafted stuff. The metal batarang was a gift from family, I made the wood one out of some scraps. Last is my planned Zsasz Lego figure. I’m planning to get doubles of the body and head because I’m currently using the ones I have on other people. That’s what he’ll look like in end though (might swap the arms out for solid light nuguat, might not. )

EDIT: okay so the picture is upside-down for some reason. Just tilt your head. Sorry about that.

5 Likes